how do you cook a goose

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Shotnbeer

how do you cook a goose

Post by Shotnbeer »

Since everyone is wacken the geese I guess my question is how do you cook them? My experiance has been they are as tough as nails and not worth shooting, if you're not going to eat them. Any tips?
Grizzly Adam

Re: how do you cook a goose

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Shotnbeer wrote: I guess my question is how do you cook them?
I don't know about that ... but I've certainly had my goose cooked a couple of times! :P :lol: :wink:
Grizz
Decoy Dan

Post by Decoy Dan »

we usually have them made in to meat pies or we do them in a bacon wrap with cream cheese,hot pepper ring and Diana sauce baked in the oven.

Dan.
I'll let my exocet do my talking.
bbbwb

Cook Canada Goose

Post by bbbwb »

I prepare by 2 basic methods with slight variations.

1- dress and pluck the entire goose and stuff with dressing. Place on rack in roasting pan with water and roast on low heat 250- 275 degrees until done.Adding seasoning ?? or-salt and pepper over bird is optional. I treat this roasting process the same as preparing a domestic turkey for Christmas dinner. Meat will separate from breast bone or legs. Goose will be tender and moist. Make gravy from the goose drippings with potato water and corn starch/water to thicken. Serve with the usual mashed potatoes,vegetables of choice, and the dressing from the cavity added to a box of the quick and easy "stove top" dressing for additional volume.

2 Breast out goose and with the 2 fillets marinate in Italian Salad dressing in a Zip Lock bag with the air removed. Roll or kneed the fillets 2-3 times over the next couple of hours and then roast on a rack, with water, in the roasting pan as above at the same temperature. Seasoning to your wishes is optional again. I have also omitted the salad dressing marinade and roasted in oven adding some seasoning. Very tasty.
I have also done these on the bbq with some honey garlic bbq sauce. This also a tasty method.
The meat is tender and moist, very tasty.
The mistake often made is trying to cook to quickly on the higher heat. This yields a tough meal.

I am getting hungry!!!!! Good luck.

bbbwb
Big John

k

Post by Big John »

In my family we all look forward to Geese season. :)
And when I cook them, everyone wants seconds. :wink: :)
The "First" rule to remember always when cooking Goose is "Never overcook". :!: :!: That is what causes the the flavour some dont like.
My recipe is simple and delicious!

First I only use the Breasts. Second, Salt and pepper them and put on fridge for a couple hours. Then, in a frying pan I saute' one med. onion finely chopped, then add 1/2 cup of pure Maple syrup, then 1/2 cup of ripe raspberries, sometimes 3/4 cup. Cook this until thickening. You will see when its getting thicker. Remove from heat and start BBQ the Breasts. Never cook them more than rare, or just till they stop bleeding and look cooked just enough. :wink: Take the Breasts then and cut into 1/2"in. slices, cross grain, and put a few on each plate, then spoon a generous amount over top of them of the mixture in the sauce pan.
I can guarantee you you will eat more than one helping. :!: :D
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

you can cook slow in a crock pot add some good seasonings to it
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Boo

Post by Boo »

I will only eat it curried, in a pie or made like schnitzel. Schnitzel is my favorite. My wife cuts them along the grain about half an inch thick, pounds them, breads them, browns them then cooks for a few hours in spaghetti sauce. The are Mmmmmmmmm that way!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Esox

Post by Esox »

I don't have any first hand experience, but a friend of mine kills and cooks a lot of venison, ducks and geese, and according to him one thing that you can do, among other things, is make Goose Breast Jerky.... According to him you can't tell the difference between that and venison jerky and I know from first hand experience how good his venison jerky is.... So if you're looking for something different.... Try that.....
huntfishfam

Post by huntfishfam »

I like to make jerky, my kids love it so much that I have to hide some for myself. I am also told they make great pepperettes. This week I think I'm going to make sausage with some.
Sean
I hunt,I fish,I am
Get clean, lean and healthy with isagenix. I can show you how.
Lady Di

Post by Lady Di »

:) :) As in the previous replies, the main thing is not to overcook( sawdust would have more taste) Old Buck likes the breast barbequed like a steak(rare) breast done in the George Forman, goose sausage,pepperettes and the jerky. Try it in different ways and hopefully you will find a way you like , then go out and get more and reduced our problem, some of the lawns around are rather slippery. :D :D
Allan

Post by Allan »

Why can we eat goose rare (or medium) but domestic fowl must be well done?
fratri

Best meat stew ever

Post by fratri »

crockpot all the way... Cut meat (legs and breast) into small pieces 1/2" or less...
2-3 carrots fine chopped
1 onion fine chopped
1 pepper fine chopped
5-6 potatoes chopped fine
2 tea spoons salt
1 tea spoons pepper
1 bottle of canadian beer :lol:
1 cup of orange juice

Put and mix everything up in the crockpot and cook on low for 10 hrs... It will turn out great...I am sure it will be one of the best stews you ever had.
"Everthing is easy when you know how"
"Food is not grown in stores"
Fratri
Michihunter

Post by Michihunter »

Take 6 goose breasts
1 large onion
1 cup of carrots
1 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce
Place the breasts on a Cedar plank
Spread all the ingredents on the breasts
Bake in oven at 420 degs for 25 minutes.
Remove from the oven.
Throw away the goose and eat the Cedar plank.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Michihunter wrote:....
Remove from the oven.
Throw away the goose and eat the Cedar plank.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
N8tr Boy

Post by N8tr Boy »

15 years ago I hunted with a guy that used apple juice 1 qt and baked it in a roasting pan at 225 for 3-4 hrs. Cooking it slow like John said is Key. He also deboned birds and wrapped in cheese cloth and did the same. Also gathered a number of birds and got a butcher to make a loaf. Awesome stuff. :D :D Did someone call for lunch :?: I am getting hungry. :D :D
Exomax
GT II Lazer arrows
125gr expandables
White Tiger 2" Blazer vanes
Chartruese Custom Boo string
Stricknine Expandables
Dabbling with Trad 55#
Mathews Q2 60-70#
Beman arrows