Afraid of the Dark???

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

All good advice above :D

You'll be doing it all for the reward of quietly sitting in our stand in the dark, while the light slowly comes and the woods wake up around you. For me, that's the best part and getting a deer is just a bonus. There's nothing more thrilling than having a critter or two (preferably deer) close by in the pre-dawn light! :D
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

I'm not really "scared" of the dark, but walking to/from my stand in the dark, I've always got a light on, pointed almost straight down in front of me. It's not that I'm so much worried about critters as I am some trespassing moron mistaking me for a deer.

Several years ago while bowhunting with my uncle one afternoon, the flashlight in my bag had gotten turned on and drained the batteries (this was before all of the little twist on Mag lights and you had to carry a flashlight that took C cell batteries). Of course, I didn't discover this until it was already pitch black.

Got down out of my stand, got everything packed up, and slowly started picking my way back to the truck. My uncle had parked the truck beside a big cedar tree in the edge of a cow pasture. I was coming up the hill and could see the tree and the truck once I got close enough. Right when I was about even with the tree, my uncle came out from under it on all 4's, hissing, snarling, and squalling. :shock: I can honestly say I felt like I aged 2 years in about 2/10's of a second!!! :lol: That has been as close as I've ever come to needing to change my drawers. :lol: While he was rolling around on the ground laughing, I should have taken advantage of the situation and went over and kicked him! :x

Since that time though, I keep at least 2 flashlights on me or in my back pack, and spare batteries for all of them. :wink:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

No handguns allowed here.

When bowhunting I keep thinking about how a shot from a bow wouldn't do much to scare off the coyotes even if my bow is "noisy". :roll: Should carry some sort of noise maker maybe, aside from my Fox40?
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Im not a spooky or scared of the dark at all. It does highten my senses for sure but not scared. It makes me more aware and careful. I am carring more than one weapon so I feel like if I need them i have them. Lights ofcourse and Gps

BSTOUT my friend I would encourage not only you but all bow hunters to carry a firearm that does not have a round in the chamber--for the same reasons you mentioned above--BUT for this number one reason. I cant remember how many years ago it was some might be able to help me here but 2 older gentlemen were found dead at the foot of the tree they were bow hunting from shoot dead. They never found the killers as far as I know. I dont believe there is much Peta, tree huggers animal rights activist ar enot capable of. I want the option to protect myself if someone is trying to shoot me.
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

I don't agree with the carrying any kind of fire arm while bow hunting, get caught with it and you will know why carry permit or not, the flash lite you walk with ON my save your life as your seen as a human, go figure

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
saxman

Post by saxman »

I always figured that I AM the apex predator in the areas I hunt and plus I have a weapon.
I figure that whatever is out there has no desire for a run in with me.
I like the feeling of not being able to see real well and using my senses to guide me,plus a nice flashlight
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
bkisel

Re: post sub

Post by bkisel »

Limbs and Bolts wrote:I don't agree with the carrying any kind of fire arm while bow hunting, get caught with it and you will know why carry permit or not, the flash lite you walk with ON my save your life as your seen as a human, go figure

Wes
Wes,

It is leagal in PA where I and the other poster mentioned that we carry. Sorry if it sounded like I was recommending the breaking of hunting laws/statutes of other States.

Take care...
dlzinck

Re: post sub

Post by dlzinck »

Limbs and Bolts wrote:I don't agree with the carrying any kind of fire arm while bow hunting, get caught with it and you will know why carry permit or not, the flash lite you walk with ON my save your life as your seen as a human, go figure

Wes
I agree with the flash light. Never said don't carry one or don't use one. The type of preaditor I'm worried about walks on two legs as well. I am well within my rights (both state granted and God given) to be able to defend myself from harm.
[img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s259/dlzinck/arrow.gif[/img]

Good hunting!!
Pround member of Team PETA
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Know a fella that got a ticket for attempting to shoot a deer with a 45cal. colt BP pistol during bow season, it was in his holster the whole time but it was there, it's like taking a 270 in the woods with you in muzzle loader season along with your knight ml?

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
lscha

Post by lscha »

Michigan DNR says a person with a CPL may carry during archery season as long as the gun is not used to take deer. Our laws do protect our rights when it comes to concealed carry with a permit.
Additionally, you may open carry on your own property but not on public land unless you have a CPL while archery hunting.

http://midnr.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/MiDNR ... ZT0x&p_li=
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

For sure laws are different every where, it pays to know them thats a fact, then you got to a lawer to understand them :x

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Tyler and I have been penned to our stand by multiple bears 3 different times. One of which wewere in a box stand on a powerlines and had an old 3-D target set up in the powerlines as a decoy. Just before dark, several bears came out a one of the attacked and trashed my target. They made their way to the stand and would not leave!!!! Tyler laid in the bottom of the stand crying a I decided that something had to me done so I fired at the feet at the largest bear but that didn't phase them one bit. I called my uncle that I knew was close by on the club and he rushed right over and parked his truck at the bottom of the stand. We had a time getting Tyler to come out of the stand and into the truck. The next year, we were walking to the truck and the sound of pine bark flying all over the place cause us to turn on the maglight and walk back to the truck backwards with our rifles drawn. It was a great feeling to put my but in the truck seat that night :wink: .
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

legal to carry during bow season in Oklahoma...
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

It is unlawful to have any firearm in possession
while hunting deer with a bow and arrow
or crossbow.

IL DNR

Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
saxman

Post by saxman »

I carry a 38+P with me at all times in the woods.
I was scouting last evening and found myself surrounded by 10 wild hog's,thats why I carry,them and ole no shoulders
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011