Afraid of the Dark???

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

i don't know why ppl are scared in the dark unless something has jumped on them. all i can tell you is face it best you can carry TP and extra pr of drawers to put on. :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
NewGuy

Post by NewGuy »

pydpiper may be able to direct you which flashlight to buy that will make it real light out :)
Boo/Comfybear Custom strings
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

keep a bright small flashlight in hand;)

Once you are run out of field in pitch black dark by deer you start to keep a good light handy;) Its not a good sound to hear deer running at you and you cant see them.

I dont like the dark, but I manage by not thinking about whats out there... think about the big buck you might see later. Try not to listen to sounds..

it was fun going into the woods after I saw the Blair Witch movie or whatever its called 6-7 years ago :P
lscha

Post by lscha »

Try this: Keep your mind focused on not tripping and not getting whacked in the face with branches, etc. As for corn, look for little critters with your flashlight. Don't think beyond your light. You can't see anything out there anyway. :lol:
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

lscha wrote:Try this: Keep your mind focused on not tripping and not getting whacked in the face with branches, etc. As for corn, look for little critters with your flashlight. Don't think beyond your light. You can't see anything out there anyway. :lol:
btw, its always fun when you turn your light on and all you see are eyes in the woods... most are rabbits LOL

I turned mine on once and saw 6-7 different sets of eyes and quickly turned it back off. Sometimes its better not to see :P
lady bird

Post by lady bird »

You can also buy a remote light to attach above your treestand. You can turn it on/off when you are coming in.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

It's just a matter of doing it. I too have my dark issues. However, I went into the woods every morning last year without a light at all. The first time, I was nervous as all get out. The last time, it was no big deal.

Just do it. :wink:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Here is a picture that hangs over my daughters bed, she absolutely loves it. Unfortunately I can't find the computer version, so I had to take a picture of the picture..

If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
BigDogKahuna

Post by BigDogKahuna »

There was only one time I let my imagination get away from me one morning walking to my stand in the dark and that was after myself, my Son and his friend watched the Blair Witch Project the night before our hunt. Talk about stooopid.

If you want to cure yourself of the weebeer jeebees and boogie men of the dark then watch that movie and then walk to your stand in the dark. If you can do it, you're cured!

We did get the campfire story out of that with my Son's friend who's ATV stalled on the trail out in the middle of the woods that evening hunt, in the dark. Everyone was already in camp and he called on his radio into camp for help and the fear in his voice, although not funny to him, had us ROFL. God it was funny. :D
Last edited by BigDogKahuna on Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Bugs, don't feel bad about being afraid of the dark.

That's not uncommon.

It's a natural thing for humans to be fearful of darkness, because we are diurnal creatures, primarily dependent on our vision for knowing what's going on around us, and when we can't see what's going on around us, it's unnerving ... because we lose any sense of control over our situation.

Fearing darkness is not entirely irrational. There are valid reasons for avoiding darkness. When we can't see, we're simply not as safe as we are when we can see. Our hearing and sense of smell simply are not keen enough to give us the sort of information that makes us comfortable with our surroundings, like sight does.

Don't be hard on yourself.

Use a decent light in getting to and from your hunting stands (always a good idea), and have it available while it's dark, so that you can "light up" your situation in a moment. There is much comfort in that capability.
Grizz
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Something that helped me face the dark early on was that we lived down at the end of a long lane that ran through heavy woods ... and it was gated. It was a Lion's Club camp (my parents were caretakers), and when I was a kid, the rule was that the gate had to be shut every night. So ... when I went out, I was always faced with the prospect of walking that long lane in the darkness to get home.

I never used a light. Sometimes it was so dark the only way I could stay on the road was by the crunching of the gravel. I was startled innumerable times ... by the screaming of Barred Owls, the bolting of animals, unidentified crashings and thrashings of all sorts, outbursts of dog barking ... you name it.

That early experience settled the issue of facing the dark for me. I learned not to fear it then, and I don't fear it now ... but I respect the dark ... and I don't take any chances in the dark.
Grizz
Tenn. Equinox

Post by Tenn. Equinox »

I was bow hunting in the Cherokee National forest. One morning there was a full moon , so I did,nt even take my flashlight because it would be light soon and I could see enough to walk. I walked up a long hollow and an animal came off the side of a ridge and stopped in front of me about 30 yds. The only thing I could see was it's eyes stareing at me about the same height as my eyes. I could'nt see to shoot it or run. I figure it must have been a bear (this place is a bear santuary) . It seemed like it stood there for 5 or 10 minutes before it left. I carry 2 lights now.
Tenn.
Tenn.

Equinox
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

To me it is part of the exhiliration of hunting. Walking in the dark and busting something large right in front of you. Was it a deer a bear or a saskwatch???

F
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Here where I live, there are a number of physical contortions quickly learned by people who are brash enough to walk around outside without a light:

The Fire-Ant Frolic

Stepping or standing on a mound of these little demons will cause you to hop wildly about in a manner you wouldn't have thought yourself capable of.

The Copperhead Climb

Most people don't know that they can rise straight up into the air ... but hearing the soft thud of a copperhead striking your gumboot allows you to achieve an admirable levitation, very quickly.

The Bear Bolt

You're faster than you know ... and hearing the raspy breath or heavy crashing of a big bear that you can't see five yards away from you will cause you to accelerate away at a speed you'd never have anticipated.

The Deer Dodge

This little number is much like dodge-ball, but with the element of surprise. All of a sudden, you're trying to avoid numerous deer rocketing past you in the stygian blackness. Lots of fun. Crazy has some experience with this one, I hear. :P

These are only a sampling of the neat things you can discover about yourself when you're showing the world that you don't need a light at night.

There are many other things to experience when walking around in the great outdoors in the dark ... some not nearly so fun as the above:

The Eye Jab
The Ditch Slip
The Stream Splash
The Hole Surprise
The Cliff Dive
The Ravine Roll
The Rock Trip
The Jack-Lighter Jump

... and many more! :lol:

If you have an adventurous spirit, and a good insurance policy, then by all means ... leave the light at home.

As for me, I prefer to carry one! 8)
Grizz
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

"There is nothing in the dark that don't fear you more than you fear it." I have found this to be true for 60 yrs. I am now getting too old and tough for anything want to eat me. :shock: :lol:
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire