Trimming rear insert to increase FOC %?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

IAMCANADIAN

Trimming rear insert to increase FOC %?

Post by IAMCANADIAN »

Just wondering.....for those of us that don't use the T puller, I'm curious as to whether or not the full length of the aluminum insert is actually needed. It seems that the added length of the threaded portion is largely unneccesary and could be trimmed to get a higher percentage of total weight to the front....thoughts?

IAC
If you can't set a good example, at least serve as a horrible warning.
sumner4991

Re: Trimming rear insert to increase FOC %?

Post by sumner4991 »

IAMCANADIAN wrote:Just wondering.....for those of us that don't use the T puller, I'm curious as to whether or not the full length of the aluminum insert is actually needed. It seems that the added length of the threaded portion is largely unneccesary and could be trimmed to get a higher percentage of total weight to the front....thoughts?

IAC
Agreed. It isn't needed. You can trim it. I decided to start using the plastic nocks for the same reason.

You just need to trim them to the same weight. It doesn't take much to hold them in place.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

yes you can trim them, keep all close not that 5 grs makes much diff one way or the other. i can't tell any diff in 25 grs til i get out to past 50 yds.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Stash

Post by Stash »

You can trim them, but consider:

A couple of grains off the back won't make any significant difference. It's a lot of work and you risk damaging your shaft for minimal gain.

If you're using the T-puller, there will be less glued surface and the insert will likely come out easier.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

bstout wrote:Plastic nocks are better suited for compound crossbows where the power is gradually applied to the arrow and not so much for recurve crossbows where the power is applied all at once much more abruptly.

I won't use plastic nocks with my Excalibur crossbows.
Why is that Bob . . .think they will break or something? I've used them for about a year now with no issues. Is there something I need to check?

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

bstout wrote:The "plastic" won't always maintain its properties. They can be perfectly fine when new but after being out in the sunlight (UV) they can begin to break down (become more brittle).

It isn't worth the risk to me for what what I'd get in return.
X2 The edges of my alum nocks have a few dings from group shooting. Yeah, I know, bad move, lol. I don't think plastic nocks would have survived some of the hits, may have cracked and not noticed it.

Quite a while ago, I did some FOC experiments screwing threaded rod in nocks and inserts, up to an inch [25 gr] long.

I'm regretting now not checking the numbers, like what percents ect. but on the target the groups were the same just shifted a tad at longer ranges.

I know this may wind a few of you up, lol, but I've come to look at FOC as either you have enough or you don't [duh] but in amounts like 10% 15% 20% ect. IOW, there's not much sdiff in say 12% and 14%, or 10% and 12%, or 17% and 20%.

I guess what I'm stumbling around trying to get across, for me it's either low, medium or high FOC.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it, lol.
"Eze 18:21"
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

I have some Easton Powerbolts which have a rear aluminum insert that is entirely flat & smooth (there is no hole). Would its weight be similar to that of a typical aluminium insert?
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I think it's all a big "to do" about nothing. I finally broke down and did all the measuring. My current set-up is at 13% FOC and they shoot great. I've got some arrows with 11% and some with 16%, they shoot great too.

High FOC is good for high cross wind and rain? Well, maybe so, but, you won't catch me outside in a high cross wind and rain toting my crossbow. :lol: I didn't go out this morning because it "might" rain . . .looks like a darn good chance. When it comes to archery, I like pretty good conditions. However, when I do decide to hunt in "not so good" conditions, I set-up accordingly. I pick areas which offer the best shelter and I keep my shots shorter. There simply isn't enough FOC for me to take a chance on a long range shot in poor conditions.

I'll keep an eye on the plastic nocks for cracking, but, I don't see it being an issue. The thing I like about the plastic; other than the weight, they are easy to remove/replace. I don't glue them in, I just push them in place. If I damage one, then it's pretty simple to replace. I haven't had any trouble with them, yet(only been a year). They are in there securely, yet, come out with a tug from a pair of pliers. I don't use the arrow pullers, never have.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

I trim my 25gr nocks down to 8grs add 9grs of 4in feathers and I got 17grs at the back of my arrow I can make my foc as much or as little as I want, thats less than 3 blazers vanes at 18grs. alone, I don't under stand the safety issue about cutting nocks what are they going to do, plastic nocks work find if they didn't 10pt. would have been gone a long time ago.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

i dont trim mine.. not worth the extra trouble for me. But if you arer picky, then by all means cut some

I like aluminum nocks over plastic also. Aluminum is stronger. But for half moon nocks you really dont have much choice

both work, but I just like aluminum for strength.. whether its better or not, I dunno. Its just a peice of mind for me
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

i went to 2" blazers and trimmed down the nock to lose weight off the tail end of the arrow....the 4" vanes weighed in at 27gr and the full sized alum nock weighed 25gr....the 2" blazers weigh 18gr and i trimmed my nock down to 7gr....total weight i took off rear of arrow is 27gr and helpped big time getting my FOC to 21.4%....not sure what the gain in FOC was though............bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
skamaniac

Post by skamaniac »

I didn't go out this morning because it "might" rain . . .looks like a darn good chance. When it comes to archery, I like pretty good conditions.
Some folks don't have the luxury of picking their days to hunt. They hunt when they have the opportunity.

I build 2213's and trim the inserts down from 30 gr to 15 gr. I get close with a hack saw and then file and sand until they are exactly 15 gr. This also leaves a couple of threads so that i can fletch with the homemade screw in nock adapter. If you take off more than that you won't have any threads at all. As far as the "T" handle, use Gorilla glue on your inserts and shouldn't have to worry about pulling the inserts out.
'Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who did not.'
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

skamaniac wrote:
I didn't go out this morning because it "might" rain . . .looks like a darn good chance. When it comes to archery, I like pretty good conditions.
Some folks don't have the luxury of picking their days to hunt. They hunt when they have the opportunity.
I agree, but, there was a complete washout here yesterday. I'm glad I didn't get caught in it.

When I go hunting in Virginia, I get a few days and I'm usually out everyday. If I'm gun hunting, then I don't care how bad the weather gets(I have froze out before) I'm out there. I just find some type of shelter. However, with archery . . .wind and rain that is strong enough to blow off your shot is also bad enough to wash out your tracking trail. I get one or maybe two days a week here in Georgia that I can hunt. I'm not going to chance a lost deer on a rainy day, I'll just try again next week.

I agree with you on your Gorilla Glue . . .everything stays put with that glue.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen