getting in and out of your stand

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

they make the rope that you hook to and slide it up as you climb incase you fall...

i cant say im using one.. I focus on my vest when in hang on stands. I know anything could happen, but ladder stands just feel safe to me :D

but yes they make a rope you hook to just for your situation :D
BigDogKahuna

Post by BigDogKahuna »

Hunter Safety Sytem sells one which uses the Prussic Knot but the price is fairly steep at about $40.00. I would think you could make the same thing much cheaper by buying your own rope, a carabiner and making your own prussic knot for less than half the price.
huntone

Post by huntone »

HSS Life-line

http://www.huntersafetysystem.com/pop.p ... feline.flv

In the future I will make my own, but I purchased this first one.
Dale

Ibex
Lumizone
Dan Miller mount
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

They feel safe to me too thats my worry, I dont want to be too comfortable and slip on the morning dew. I was born a natural clutz no matter how hard I try
Even a Clutz, natural born or otherwise, can be safe. Usually accidents happen due to not being aware of what can happen. If you prepare for the worse, you don't have to "hope" for the best.

As far as climbing goes, always have a minimum of three limbs anchored. If one slips, you have the other two for support.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Esox

Post by Esox »

The National Bowhunters Education Foundation (NBEF) and Treestand Manufactures's Association (TMA) have put together a DVD called "Safe Treestand Hunting Strategies" that covers ALL aspects of treestand safety... It covers, storing, handling, using, putting up and hunting out of climbing stands, portable stands and ladder stands and it includies a plan for rescue and recovery if something goes wrong..... It is by far the very best video on the subject... They don't sell it and I can't seem to copy it. It comes when you purchase any TMA authorized treestand.... You might ask about it from a sporting goods store... Anyway it's the best way to fine out anything you want to know about treestand safety...
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

huntone Thank You for the video you posted, that answers all the questions.
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
wabi

Post by wabi »

The HSS lifeline is the same system as I made for several of my stands a few years ago. With tree steps or a climbing stick I feel very secure with it. If I fall I can easily reach the climbing stick or steps to get back to the ground.
With a ladder stand it's a bit more challenging to rig. If rigged to the tree only it could leave you hanging against the tree and unable to reach the ladder. I do have my 2-man stand rigged with it tied to the shooting rail then on to the tree above, but I have that one specifically for my son to use. (he's lightweight enough the rail should hold his weight, and I'll be right there with him when he's climbing) The bad thing is you have to disconnect/re-connect to get past the rail. I think I may have an idea to get around the disconnect/re-connect issue (a steel hook welded to the rail, or a large caribiner slipped over the rail, so you can slip the rope out of it when you reach that point of the climb), but I'll have to rig up a version to test before I can recommend it.
wabi