Waterproofing Groundblind

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

reeler

Waterproofing Groundblind

Post by reeler »

Just bought an Ameristep blind today. Owners maunual says :
" TO STOP ANY LEAKAGE, USE SEAM SEALER ON ALL SEAMS AND SILICONE SPRAY ON SEAMS/SIDEWALLS".
Has anyone bothered to go all that work. I thought about maybe spraying with silicone but, not sealing all seams.
Phoenix
Lumnizone scope
Groundpounder mount
vaguru

Post by vaguru »

The seams, and the zippers, are where it is going to leak the most. I didn't get any leaks from the fabric itself when sitting in a steady heavy rain last season for 3 hours. Drips through the seams, around the zippers yes. Even with seams sealed and waterproofed, the leaks through the zippers would make the effort futile. JMO
Gold Tip Pro Staff
Bohning Pro Staff
sipsey

Post by sipsey »

:D I just wear a hat :D
wabi

Post by wabi »

I have though about coating the inside of the roof with "undercoat" spray like you use on cars/trucks if mine ever leaks too bad. So far it's only a few drips I can avoid. :lol: The biggest leaks are the zippers, and they don't really get you wet if you are careful where you set. :roll:
wabi
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I've never been bothered by the few drips - most run off to the side. Beats sitting in the rain without a blind any day! :D
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Fred

Blinds

Post by Fred »

The first blind I had leaked terribly my OLD ground max and the dbl bulls don't leak hardly at all I treat them every 2 years with spray you will get water running in the windows and down the inside of the sides but that can't be helped
reeler

Re: Blinds

Post by reeler »

Fred wrote:The first blind I had leaked terribly my OLD ground max and the dbl bulls don't leak hardly at all I treat them every 2 years with spray you will get water running in the windows and down the inside of the sides but that can't be helped

Do you seal the seams as well? or just silicone spray?
Phoenix
Lumnizone scope
Groundpounder mount
Fred

Post by Fred »

On an Ameristep I would definately use somethingon the seams but the Old and I stress old ground max and the Dbl bulls I just hit the seams a a couple of times with the spray and give the rest a good soaking I don't feel comfortable getting in my tree stands much anymore so most of my hunting is done from a blind I do have one permanent 12 ft hunting house and that is nice
dutchhunter

sealing

Post by dutchhunter »

i set mine up in the yard in the full sun at about two or three oclock when it is warmest i spray the top and seams with silacon spray .then leave it to dry in the sun .it will darken when wet from spray but will liten up as it dryes this has worked well for me DUTCH.ps i like to do this at least two weeks before hunting season starts to get rid of any oders
addicted to canadian beaver
Migabby

Post by Migabby »

I used bow string wax on the seams, havn't tested it yet but the little light beams are gone.

Migabby
Gold Tips
Slicks
Proud Groundpounder Mount Owner
Proud Boo String Owner
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

There is a product for seams on canvas tents much like bow wax .
You rub this up a down the seams and it plugs the holes.
For the rest of the surface I would use the silicone spray for that.But you might want to read up on the ultra violet signature from that I read somewhere that some sprays show up to deer like it is lit up.Never looked into this but might be worth a look.
Tenpoint Matrix