shotgun for moose?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

butch

shotgun for moose?

Post by butch »

Good evening. I just purchased a cantilever rifled shotgun barrel and scope for my 870. Was thinking of taking it for the moose hunt next week. I'm going to pick up a couple box's of of the new slugs that they recommend and see how it groups. I still have my old faithful bush gun but thought that I might give the shotgun a try. Is there anybody out there that hunts moose exclusively with a rifled shotgun? Any advice tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated as I always bring the shotgun to moose camp anyways. I thought that I may be able to save some space by just bringing the one firearm. Thank you in advance.
Exocet w/ FFF string/ Aimpoint
18" Gold Tip Laser II's
and 125 grain Montec G5's
Big John

m

Post by Big John »

Shot gun is deadly on Moose! I took a Young Bull a few years back.
80 yd. shot, with Winchester Supreme Platinum 400 gr. Sabot. He didn't go 20 yds. and fell over. Real nice hole going in with lots of blood, and it expanded real good inside. I have no problem Moose hunting with shotgun's. I would try to get within about 100 yds. or so though.
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Shotgun slugs are Deadly on Deer. Have no reason to think otherwise on a moose. Thats a LOT of lead making impact.
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

If it is good enough for a guide to use as defence against a grizzly . Then it should definitely have enough KE to down a moose . :)
butch

Post by butch »

Thank you all for the quick response. Looks like I will take the rifled shotgun with me to moose camp. Remington had/has a special on the rifled barrels with a 2X7 32mm scope. It was 60 dollars less at my local hunting store then the price that I got quoted at BP! All the stars aligned for this seasons hunt. We have at least one of each tag (Bull, Cow, Calf) so I figure our odds are a little better than years gone by. Thanks again!
Exocet w/ FFF string/ Aimpoint
18" Gold Tip Laser II's
and 125 grain Montec G5's
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Good Luck and take Pictures.
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
Fox

Post by Fox »

You do your job and the moose will be down.
Just watch your range, those slugs are not as nice as a rifle bullet in bucking in the wind.

Good luck, make sure to take lots of pics.
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

Butch;

Try an assortment of sabots / slugs until you find the ones that group well. I was disappointed to find the Remington sabots are going all over the place coming out of my new Mossberg rifled barrel. To save cash on sighting it in I got a bunch of Rem Buckhammer rifled slugs - made specifically for rifled barrels. It turns out they are grouping perfectly. I'd have prefered sabots but you can't argue with what works.

Good luck on the moose hunt!
2008 Phoenix w/ Varizone Scope
FFF String (Boo string wannabee)
Groundpounder Mount
Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout RF
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s
DaveShooter

Shotguns

Post by DaveShooter »

I have used shotguns with smooth bores for years on deer along with crossbows, and blackpowder guns ,Like it was said you do your part and the slug will do its. These new shotguns with fully rifled barrels and newer slugs wil shoot like you wouldn't beleave on target. My- self I am a short range shooter so I shoot the o'le faithful foster remington slugs have for years here in Ohiooooo!!!. I too wouldn't trade my Rem 870 20ga, nor my 2 Ithaca 37's in 16 ga ,and 12 ga. I like the longer barrel Ithacas 25" smooth bores with rifle sights. Sound like you got a winner of a setup for Moose good luck and all the best in your hunt!!!! :D :D :D