Ladder stands

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bull_dogg

Ladder stands

Post by bull_dogg »

Does anyone use any ladder stands? Im lookin for a stand that I could put up by myself?? Thinking about a Ameristep 15F.
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

You can put them up by yourself, I don't recommend it get some help better safe than sorry.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
wabi

Post by wabi »

I have put them up by myself, but wouldn't really recommend doing it.
These days (as I get older) I at least take my son along so he can call for help if necessary.
wabi
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

i have to use my come-along and 2 ropes to put mine up. used to could man handle it but since my back surgery its a no no.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

most of the single person ladder stands can be put up with one person.. but its nice to have 2 people

a few places make the 30lb 12-15ft stands.. I think big game makes a stealth stand which is very light and easy for one person to handle
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

Yes, they can be a bear to put up and take down. Makes me pretty nervous every time I do it, but I do it alone. btw, it is a 20' Cabela stand.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
Gimpaw

Post by Gimpaw »

I agree... get someone to help you. It's not worth getting hurt, especially so close to hunting season. My son moved mine alone while I watched (back surgery). He's 25 and strong as an ox, but it was hard to put up and harder to watch.
"I was young and foolish; now I'm old and foolisher".
Mark Twain
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

This is how I move my ladder stands. They are home made and heavy.

Ghost
DirtyGun

Post by DirtyGun »

As most have said...err on the side of caution and bring help. It can be done, with quite a bit of strength, balance, speed and patience, but it's far easier with two people.
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Ghost. You have definately got it down pat 8)
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

I`ve put up 4 of those stealth stands this year . Yes you could put them up by yourself BUT why risk hurting yourself with a pointless fall . Have a second person there just incase and to hold something .
I like Gimpaws way though less back strain . :)
Gimpaw

Post by Gimpaw »

Doe Master wrote:I`ve put up 4 of those stealth stands this year . Yes you could put them up by yourself BUT why risk hurting yourself with a pointless fall . Have a second person there just incase and to hold something .
I like Gimpaws way though less back strain . :)
3 back surgeries from a life of being too proud to ask for help when I should have. It seems that all I do is ask for help now. I'm thankful for a good son who never complains, but watching while he does my work is harder than I can tell you.
"I was young and foolish; now I'm old and foolisher".
Mark Twain
gogo

Post by gogo »

The people on this site know what there talking about they have lots of experience. If they say get help I would listen to them. No sense getting hurt, then your season could be over.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I have a "bush ladder" tree stand that is very light and transportable. It is also the only ladder stand I have ever had any trouble with when setting it up! It must not be available anymore (couldn't find it on google), and that's probably for the best. :lol:
The stand is lightweight (16# or so), has a narrow ladder (about 6"), and a "sling" seat. The narrow ladder makes it very unstable until firmly strapped to the tree, and to firmly strap it you have to climb to the top. :shock:
I have climbed the back of the ladder to use my weight to help stabilize it, and I have also rode it around the tree (ropes at the top had it tethered against falling completely) when it slipped! Scary ride!!!! :lol:
That stand is in my shop now. It is getting an extension to hold it out a bit more from the tree, a rigid seat, and a wider "foot" on the ladder base for more ground contact. It will probably weigh double what it did, but it will be a lot more stable/comfortable when I finish. :lol:
wabi
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

The one I had a bunch of years ago was fairly easy to put up by myself except to for the last step of strapping in the top. Going up the ladder that was not yet fully secured tested ones dedication to ladderstand hunting! From my experience I would highly recommend getting help.

Be safe...