Is this thing on?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

skyhunter

Is this thing on?

Post by skyhunter »

I put on the STS that I got yesterday and shot the new Pheonix today. Am I missing something, like an on / off switch to activate the STS .

Seriously, the bow was still making quite a clunk. Maybe some string twang / vibration was reduced but that clunk is still there. I am new to crossbows, but for me the noise was still very loud after shooting with the STS.

For you guys that have tried the suppression systems, have you found the recoil noise reduced somewhat. I'm not sure there is much of a difference.
bojangles

Post by bojangles »

I have one on my phoenix and it turns the ''crack'' noise into more of a dull thump and less ''twangy''...I noticed the difference on the first shot with it on...also is helps in case of dry fire..make sure the string is either just touching or almost touching the bumpers on the sts....
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

I can "feel" the difference with the shot. Before I added the STS I could feel the sharp vibration like when you hold an aluminum bat the wrong way and hit a baseball. Not quite to that extreme but to what I am trying to explain. Sound is somewhat reduced also but definitely not eliminated. Be sure that you have a slight gap between your string and your pads too.
Why ride when you can walk!
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I have two excaliburs. My y25 has the NGSS(like a sts) with a stock excal string, and my equinox has the sts and a Boo string with whiskers on it. The Y25 is much louder than my equinox. But both are quieter than without. I think the sts may help in the event of a dryfire, so that is reason enough for me to have one.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

That clunk isn't going to go away. There is alot of force employed when you loose your arrow, and it all comes to an abrubt stop. The sts absorbs at least some of the force, and because it is secured to the riser, which is attached to the stock, you may be noticing an INCREASE in how it feels. I noticed that my Vortex changed pitch and feel when I installed mine.

Later I tried to absorb some more of that vibration by adding bigger nipples, changing the way they were installed, and adding a vibration reducer to it. That helped alot- for me at least. No one else has tried it as far as I know.

The big advantage for me is that the vibration factor is reduced and I can watch the arrow through the scope much better, that helps my accuracy.

If you want to reduce your vibration even more, you can address other locations on the bow, but that usually costs you some speed. I can also tell you that you hear a much louder noise when shooting, than the bow actually produces at twenty yards. I do not wish to exchange my speed for the comfort of hearing less noise. I might exchange some speed for a better shot. Keep shooting, it was a good idea to install it.
Just an over informed newbie with a misinformation spreading disorder- and a Vortex