Anyone ever used the small reflective tacks to mark trail???

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

hockeyfodder

Anyone ever used the small reflective tacks to mark trail???

Post by hockeyfodder »

I just wondered if anyone here has used the small tacks with the reflective (white) heads as trailmarkers on the way in and out of stands in the dark.
I had a small container of them but over the years the number has dwindled (forgot to take them out etc.)
I found they are great as even with a cap light they shine the way in the pitch black.

Anyone aware of where they can be purchased?

Thanks
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

You can buy them just about anywhere. I get them from Wal-mart but I imagine that can order them from Cabelas or Basspro. I use them a lot!!!!!!
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Another option is to buy a roll of reflective tape from CT or any hardware store, and some roofing nails. Tear off a small piece of tape, nail it to the tree. You can keep some in your pack and use the tape for marking a blood trail at night. A little light and the trail will jump out at you. Much easier to see than flagging tape at night.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

I saw them today at Wal Mart for $3.17 a box of 50. I also use clothes pins with a smal piece of reflective tape on them. I use these mostly when I'm tracking a deer or making my way in and out of an area that I only intend to hunt that particlar day. Going in with a climber or blind, I just clip one to low hanging branch on my way in and remove them on the way out. I see that HSS sells them now. They are available in orange with a piece of white reflective tape on them.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
hockeyfodder

Post by hockeyfodder »

Thanks for the info and great ideas...I've been looking around and haven't come across them lately. I don't even see them listed in the catalogues. I guess because they are such a small inexpensive item.
They sure are uselful though.
huntone

Post by huntone »

I have used them and they work well. I've used several in the same place

to spot them better. Also, when you install them, remember that a small

piece of foliage will hide them....so.....you will want a clear view from one

tack to the next.
Dale

Ibex
Lumizone
Dan Miller mount
saxman

Post by saxman »

I used to use them.
They work great,they led the thieves right to my equipment and they stole it and the tacks
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

planter wrote:The woods here are lit up like Christmas tree's with bright eyes!!
Hunting public property, I found this to be the case. If you have found a good spot, chances are, it's already marked. :lol: Some guys go a little crazy with the reflectors at their stand . . .I'm not sure if they just want to make sure they can find it or making sure other hunters will realize where they are hunting. Maybe both.

The stuff works really well. I've never used my own . . .
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
BUDFIELDS

Yes Sir..

Post by BUDFIELDS »

I have been using them for YEARS!!! I have some that have been in the bark of trees for AT LEAST 10 years and I can STILL see them with the aid of my flashlight as I enter/exit the woods before and after daylight.

I bought some at Walmart. Meijers, KMart and different sporting goods stores. A GREAT investment and they help you find your stand without getting lost...

Bud Fields
"TAKE A KID FISHING AND HUNTING"
stump

reflective tacks

Post by stump »

I've used them for years. I also had some with 4 sided heads, all of which were reflective. I'd put them in the sides of a tree, where I could see them coming and going.
To prevent them leading to the theft of your stand, don't put any along the first part of your trail. Just take a compass reading to get you started in the right direction and then use the bright eyes to take you the rest of the way.