Range of Excalibur Crossbow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TheAznValedictorian

Range of Excalibur Crossbow

Post by TheAznValedictorian »

I have heard from a reliable person that the excalibur crossbow is very good. I have checked out the brand's site, and it does appear to be a good crossbow brand. However, I cannot find seem to find their maximum (not effective) range. The person that I have talked to isn't here right now.

However, the site did give me the FPS. Using that variable, I found out that the maximum range is very large. However, I just need to make sure before I buy it.

Assuming that you own one, how far can your Excalibur Crossbow shoot? Please provide me your crossbow's draw-weight, powerstroke, and bolt weight.

Thank you
blackjack

Re: Range of Excalibur Crossbow

Post by blackjack »

TheAznValedictorian wrote:I have heard from a reliable person that the excalibur crossbow is very good. I have checked out the brand's site, and it does appear to be a good crossbow brand. However, I cannot find seem to find their maximum (not effective) range. The person that I have talked to isn't here right now.

However, the site did give me the FPS. Using that variable, I found out that the maximum range is very large. However, I just need to make sure before I buy it.

Assuming that you own one, how far can your Excalibur Crossbow shoot? Please provide me your crossbow's draw-weight, powerstroke, and bolt weight.

Thank you
hi if your good enough a telephone book which here in australia is 10 inches high x 8 inches wide a clean hit at 75 yards with a 200 lb vortex using a 480 grain bolt l would think even much more if your good enough but l would'nt think 250 yard would be a prolem but dont expect to hit what you aim at & please make no mistake l own 3 excaliburs they are the best money can buy. hope that helps you...best regards blackjack
JUST FIGHTING TO SURVIVE..
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Welcome to the Forum. I would not shoot my Exomax over 30 Yards at a deer. so that is the only Yardage i am cocerned with, at 30 yards i am deadly with my Exomax, allso very confident that i can get a good ethical Kill shot on the animal. This is all my own Personal preferences. But i want to make sure i take the animal down Humanely and with Total respect to the animal.
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

If shooting "far" is your goal then you would be better off with a compound, there are benefits to a crossbow but distance certainly isn't one of them. Crossbow arrows are short and fat in comparison, for that reason they decelerate very quickly.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

I agree with Pydpiper.

You need to ask yourself why you want a crossbow to begin with. You also need to determine what yardage you are looking for. And do you just want the arrow to fly a long ways or to be able to hit a target or to kill an animal.

You won't find another crossbow any more accurate than Excalibur and that is the number one thing with any bow or gun.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
dlzinck

Post by dlzinck »

dick195252 wrote:Welcome to the Forum. I would not shoot my Exomax over 30 Yards at a deer. so that is the only Yardage i am cocerned with, at 30 yards i am deadly with my Exomax, allso very confident that i can get a good ethical Kill shot on the animal. This is all my own Personal preferences. But i want to make sure i take the animal down Humanely and with Total respect to the animal.
Amen!!!

I’ve talked to several rifle hunters who hate bow hunters. They have had several deer with bad infections because there was an arrow or arrow head stuck in the animal. They were upset they harvested an animal and couldn’t use the meat. They have a hard time believing that this is not the norm. This gives all bow hunters a bad name.

If you take a shot, make sure of your shot. At 40 yards, even with my Exomax 225, I think there’s a good chance the deer could jump the string. I passed on one deer on Sunday, that was at 20 yards, but I couldn’t get a clean shot without brush in the way.

If you are talking just target practice, and not hunting, that’s a completely different story. Buy an Excalibur and keep backing up!
[img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s259/dlzinck/arrow.gif[/img]

Good hunting!!
Pround member of Team PETA
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

Hi TheAznValedictorian, welcome aboard!

You're talking about pointing the bow at ~ 45 degrees and wanting to know how far down range the arrow will hit the ground, correct? You're interesting in the Excaliburs "Flight Shooting" ability, correct?

A quick "Google" of "Crossbow Archery Flight Shooting" and a quick scan of some of search results showed CB arrow flights approaching 2,000 yards. However, did not see distances specific to Excalibur CBs.

Take care...
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

Sorry- just had to edit.
Last edited by Undertaker on Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just an over informed newbie with a misinformation spreading disorder- and a Vortex
lscha

Post by lscha »

WELCOME TheAznValedictorian! Image Are you sending messages with it???? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Part of me thinks this thread was started to gain ammo in the fight against crossbows, the question has no relevance to anything. The only purpose I can imagine for asking "how far a bow can shoot" is to have the ability to go elsewhere and say "The guys on Excalibur said their bows can shoot xxxx yards!" A little liberal or media flair could easily add the word hunt in that sentence.
I have been wrong before, but it's just a feeling. If I am wrong I apologize in advance, but I still need to ask, why is it important? I mean with all the variables involved what is the point of knowing?
Last edited by Pydpiper on Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Maximum effective range for what? Target shooting? Out to 200 yards or move depending on which bow... if you can rig a sight that gives you that much elevation.
Hunting is a different matter. Live targets can react to the noise made by even the quietest crossbow. While I practice out to 50 yrds, largely to build confidence, on-game shots are limited to 35.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
bill morrison

Post by bill morrison »

i'm with you pyd, this question makes absolutely no sense at all. just got off the miss. forum and all that is over there are someone stirring crap. how far a weapon will shoot has nothing to do with its effective range. by the way mine will well outshoot my ability., except from 0 to 40 yds.
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:11 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to the Forum. I would not shoot my Exomax over 30 Yards at a deer. so that is the only Yardage i am cocerned with, at 30 yards i am deadly with my Exomax, allso very confident that i can get a good ethical Kill shot on the animal. This is all my own Personal preferences. But i want to make sure i take the animal down Humanely and with Total respect to the animal.

Here is my answer again. I think it is a Very Good one to this Question :wink:
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
saxman

Post by saxman »

Welcome sir.

Cant tell you about the range mine will shoot.
Never tried it and don't need to know
I shoot at Targets and hunt game not for distance.
As for hunting range.
My crossbow is no more effictive than a compound,less effictive IMHO.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Welcome to the forum, 'Val! :D

If you buy an Excalibur and want to use it to hunt, you may expect that it will be no more efficient or effective than a contemporary compound bow in the 55-60 lb. range. Apples to apples in comparison, all things considered.

An Excal's terminal range depends upon myriad variables, and can only be discovered by experimentation with a particular setup ... and that range will vary from day to day because of atmospheric conditions.

I encourage you to join our ranks! :D

Buy an Excal', and satisfy your curiosity! If you like it, you're all set; if you don't, you can very easily sell a gently used model right here or elsewhere ... they hold their value well.

Wishing you the best in your quest! :D
Grizz