field dressing deer

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gogo

field dressing deer

Post by gogo »

Never had to field dress a deer may have to this year. Any real important steps i need to know, more worried about the bottom end, then the top end. thanks for any info
gogo

Post by gogo »

lots of great sites for field dressing deer, now to put it to the test.
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

I came across a gadget called the butt out last year I wish I HAD ONE YEARS AGO!!great product for around $10 you can get them at BP very sweet for cleaning meat :lol:
The best things in life are not things!!
gogo

Post by gogo »

Cam on the angler and hunter used the butt out on tv to show how to field dress a deer. Being a novice at it I will pick one up at bass pro when I go to myrtle beach.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

One of the best demonstrations of feild dressing Ive ever seen is in this dvd i have about processing. It has caping a trophy, feild dressing, and processing. The name is "Deer and Big Game Processing, Volume 1" Produced by Brad Lockwood. I think I bought it at Cabelas.ca You can find it there, or if you find yourself in the Hamilton are just stop by and you can borrow it.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Real McCoy

Post by Real McCoy »

Glad to hear the good revue on the Brad Lockwood DVD. I have one but have not watched it yet. I got mine at Bass Pro.
Southern Born and Bred
Exomax
Varizone
Groundpounder

A man who is good enough to shed his blood
for his country is good enough to be given a
square deal afterwards - Teddy Roosevelt
gogo

Post by gogo »

one shot scott thank you for your help and I appreciate the offer to borrow the video. Like everyone on the forum say there are great people here and the canucks are well represented. thanks again
saxman

Post by saxman »

I have a library of DVD's from Outdoor Edge that are great.
I like the knives also.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I haven't had to field dress a deer in a good number of years. The last 3 I got, I was close enough to home or a place I could just shuck the hide via 4 whlr w/ a golf ball and then bone them out, which is what I used to do w/ field dressed ones too.

If you ever try this, just as the hide clears the body, you want to tie off the intestine/colon tube whatever you call it as it appears and is still stretched out.

I've been told to 'butt out' a time or two, lol, but never really needed one, especially w/ this method.

Yes, in case you are wondering, I can get the inner loins too, just make a slit behind last rib on each side.
"Eze 18:21"
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I haven't field-dressed a deer in years.

In many cases, it's just not necessary.

Most of my deer are boned-out and in the cooler within 90 minutes of the shot ... and I have had them in the cooler within 45 minutes of death.

It's often hot during deer season here, so we don't fiddle about.

I get 'em up on the gambrel, strip that hide, filet out the backstraps, cut the hams away, cut the meat from the shoulders and fore-legs, unzip the animal just enough to peel out the tenderloins, sometimes snip a couple of ribs and get the heart ... and I'm done.

I leave a denuded skeleton swinging in the breeze.

In my experience, the shanks, ribs, and neck are not worth the trouble.

So ... that's how I field-dress deer: I don't, and won't, unless it's necessary for legal reasons or I can't get it hung up quickly.
Grizz
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

In my experience, the shanks, ribs, and neck are not worth the trouble.
I'll buy that on the shanks and ribs, but not the neck. It's one of my favorite roasts [see pic] and I usually get two out of one neck. There's a lot of meat on them, great in a crock pot all day w/ veggies added 1/2 way. I've tried it all w/ ribs and quit, but know some of you like them.

Since I hang mine by the neck, the last thing I do is cut the body away w/ sawzall and then get my two neck roasts. They require someone else to hold while I run the saw [two handed job]

Grizz, [etal] you ought to try the golf ball deal. I make the hide cuts like conventional hand skinning and then cape out the neck area.

Put the golf ball on the meat side of the hide, use doubled tie wire to get it good and tight, then a slip not on the end of your pulling rope and away she goes.

I also lop off the shanks w/ sawzall prior to pulling the hide.

"Eze 18:21"
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

awshucks wrote:Grizz, you ought to try the golf ball deal. I make the hide cuts like conventional hand skinning and then cape out the neck area.
Would I have to buy an ATV first? :?: :P :lol:

You're a man of refined tastes, I see ... a fellow bib-overall wearer! Truly, great minds think alike, huh? I've worn 'em all my life! Truly, the best garment ever designed by man. Sometimes I even wear a shirt with mine! :shock: :P

Are those Round House brand?

Pointer Brand is my favorite, and then Round House. Key Imperial brand is all right, too. Don't care for Liberty.

Our deer necks ain't too big ... but I'll try one this fall, just for you ... I'll call it a 'Shuck-roast! :lol:
Grizz
wabi

Post by wabi »

I found something last year I will always have in my fanny pack for field dressing deer.
They are veterinary gloves, and make the task of reaching up inside a lot less daunting.
wabi
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

practice will make perfect...

its really nothing you can do wrong.. just dont pop the pee sack or the stomach.. anything else just cut untill it comes out. I start at the rear in between the legs and cut up the the ribs, then split the ribs with my knife up as far as I can. Provided if im mounting the deer, I wont go up to far.

Then I spread open the ribs and cut right about the heart, grab everything and start pulling out, cutting as I go. When you get around the stomach, the liner of the ribs/stomach needs to be cut down both sides of the ribs. Just pull as you cut. Once past the stomach everything should pretty much pop out, but you will have to cut again to get everything clear of the deer. I dont get the pee sack and etc out untill after the deer is hanging.

the whole process takes me about 1minute... keep in mind, I processed animals since I was about 8 LOL.. its our family business during the winter..

bottom line, have fun... dont over think anything to much. Just dont pop the stomach or the pee sack and you are good to go. Its nothing really you can mess up :D Get your hands in there and get dirty. I do all of mind on the ground also. I dont like hanging and gutting deer. Works for cattle and hogs, but I dont like that style for deer field dressing.

if you have another to help hold the rib cage open it will make the process go faster 8)
bobby2bears

Post by bobby2bears »

When I was a kid and had never field dressed a deer, my Uncle told me to make sure I stick the knife in all the way to the hilt! Bad Uncle...very bad Uncle!