It's Been A While...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bow Life

It's Been A While...

Post by Bow Life »

Well it has been a very busy summer for me and I have not been able to keep up on the forum. I hope everyone is healthy and doing alright in these tough economic times.

On to hunting, this past spring I had one of the best turkey seasons I have ever had. Came home for the opener, first we saw a big tom and 4 hens, which got scared away by 4 deer entering the field. Once the deer left the field, three toms came in behind us and I was able to swing around and drop the biggest at 10 yards on the other side of the fence line we were set up on.

A couple days later my father and I went out with my sister to video tape. I called in a jake first thing. My dad and I were about 10 yards apart, and when the turkey went to leave and my father had not yet shot I took the shot and got the jake. I quickly retrieved the bird continued calling. Minutes later a large tom came in following the exact path the jake had followed and my dad dropped him when he reached our decoys. The best part of this was the fact that my sister was able to get the entire hunt on film. If I can figure out how to post videos I will post it.

Then summer came and it was just a blur of work and fourwheeling. Didn't do much scouting however occasionally I was lucky enough to spot some local deer around my house.

I went out last weekend and set up two stands both in great locations with lots of activity. I am excited for the opener, however it will not be the same as my father is heading to Calgary to hunt elk, so this will be the first time I have hunted the opener alone.

I was also lucky enough to visit the Excalibur factory this summer to have some work done to my fathers Exomag. I brought the bow in the front door, showed them that the limb had a defect in it. They told me come back in an hour and it will be fixed. Sure enough an hour later I returned and my bow was all fixed up. This has to be the best company by far when it comes to customer service.

I also forgot to mention that for my birthday my parents went all out and bought me a new BowTech Flatliner. I absolutely love it, however I have come to realize that it takes a lot more practice then the old Exocet to be confident in your shot. I still have the Exocet and intend on using it in the late season, but I will be starting my season with the BowTech.

I hope that I am able to keep updated on the forum as the season rolls around. Best of luck to all. Have a safe and successful season.
Mike

Excalibur Exocet
Drop Zone Scope
Gold Tip Laser 2 Graphite Bolts
100 Wasp BroadHeads

Greatness is not in where we stand, but in what direction we are moving.
Bow Life

Post by Bow Life »

I'm also having trouble making my Avatar smaller, i have resized it in photobucket to "medium" and its 160 x 114. However it still shows up large when i direct link it. Any thoughts on whats going wrong?
Mike

Excalibur Exocet
Drop Zone Scope
100 Wasp BroadHeads

MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Not sure about the Avatar but sounds like you had a great spring for turkey's are you going to try the fall hunt?good luck on opener!!
The best things in life are not things!!
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

You'll probably have better luck resizing the picture before loading into Photobucket.

Really simple if you don't have a regular program to do it is using Paint. Just load it into Paint and then bring down the Image menu. Under that you'll find Stretch/Skew.

When you bring that up, the top part will have the stretch and is marked at 100%. Try putting in 75% or 50% or something like that and save it as a .jpg file. Then load it into photobucket.

Hope this helps.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
Bow Life

Post by Bow Life »

Looks like I have figured out the picture. However I was not planning on trying out the fall hunt. I do not know if they offer it in my area. I'll have to look into that. I have been watching the turkeys all summer and the population is doing very well.
Mike

Excalibur Exocet
Drop Zone Scope
100 Wasp BroadHeads

saxman

Post by saxman »

Welcome back :D
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount