Beagles

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

philman

Beagles

Post by philman »

Just wondering who all run Beagles here on the forum? Either deer or rabbits... I just purchased two pups one I have home already and the other is only 4.5 weeks old. Im hoping to make some honest rabbit dogs out of both of em! My blue-tick is 9 weeks old and hasen't barked yet is this normal? Maybe I should count my blessings...... :lol:
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

We have one, our intention is to use her for bunnies and night coon hunting. She is certainly no barker though. Wimpers to get out and pee but thats about it.
Training will begin soon, she is 8 months old.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
houndogger

Post by houndogger »

I have an old female that I use to chase rabbits, she's alot of fun.

Dogger
You gotta squeeze the trigger Harley. Don't yank it, It's not your d#$!.
saxman

Post by saxman »

I run them for deer.
They got heart.
What they lack in long legs they make up for in heart
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

Meet our gentle and loving family pet and a rabbit's worst nightmare :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
We team up with some buddies who have beagles and we all chase bunnies through January & February. Its my "second" hunting season. I almost feel sorry for those folks who hang up their hunting coats at the end of deer season :)
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
chessy

Post by chessy »

i have one male my brother just bought 2 little females they will be 6 months old and we will take them deer hunting we dont expect much from them this year but they have to start some time
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

Awshucks Philman, now you've done got me all excited about rabbit hunting and it ain't even deer season yet! :wink:
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

I love beagles. I had one once that had white feet..her name was ofcourse Bootsy...she was a great dog. I grew up with her in my teens out along the cimmaron bottoms. she was awsome...nice dog bud..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Nothing better than Fresh snow and a Beagle HOWLING 8) Those are all Good looking Dogs you have posted :wink:
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Got two beagles, Simba and Rumba, both males. Rabbit dogs but take them out hunting even just to sit with me in a blind. they love going goose and crow hunting also. Even take them to work with me most days. Take them coyote hunting but keep them on chains with me. Don't want mine chasing yotes.

What ever I hunt for, if the dogs have fun thats all that matters to me not what I bag and bring home. Not legal in my area for dogs to chase deer. Ministry will shoot dogs on sight if they are chasing deer. Main reason I just bought static callers for them just in case they do. May someday get collers with GPS for them.
FJB

Post by FJB »

We have 1 male who will be 3 in the deer season. What a character! The biggest suck at home but out in the feild his nose is on the ground and he is gone. He is so good for deer that i'm worried this year that i will be out all night looking for him once the season is here :D
philman

Post by philman »

Good looking dogs Ninepointer. Whats a good way to get pups started on rabbits? I know my pups wont hunt much this year but I can probably start training this hunting season. Any veiws on who makes the best E-Collars?
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

philman wrote:Good looking dogs Ninepointer. Whats a good way to get pups started on rabbits? I know my pups wont hunt much this year but I can probably start training this hunting season. Any veiws on who makes the best E-Collars?
I've never used an e-collar and I'm no expert on training. However, I did read a lot on the subject before I bought and trained my beagle and I learned a lot along the way.

The best way to get your dog started is simply to expose it to rabbits as often as you can. If you really make an effort to put in the time, you will be rewarded. Find areas with LOTS of rabbits. In my area some of the best spots for this were near to town and could not be hunted with a gun (hydro lands, abandoned rail lines, drainage ditches, etc.), but they were just the ticket for exposing a pup to rabbits. Once your dog "finds its nose" and then "finds its voice", you'll be ready to move on to huntable lands. You don't want your beagle loudly tongueing on a scent close to town. A neighbour will phone the cops to report sounds of somebody beating a dog! :lol:

My dog was 9 months old when I got her (she's 11 years old now and is still am awsome hunter) and it took the better part of her first hunting season before she caught on. I can still remember the day she first starting yelping on a rabbit scent; my eyes almost got all misty when I heard that sound :oops: :lol:

Running your pup with more experienced dogs is not essential. In fact, I subscribe to the school of thought that says its better for your dog to find its own nose first before you run it with others. My training "bible" was Beagle Basics by Bill Bennett. I'm not sure if it is still in print, but this is a book written by a hunter for hunter (rather than for field trials).

Good luck and keep me updated!
beagler

Post by beagler »

I've been running hounds since I was a kid. Have four in the kennel now. My father and I typically shoot about 150 cottontail a year in front of the dogs.
Image[/img]
[/img]Image
[/img]Image
Image[/img]