GPS

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

GPS

Post by Boo »

Does anyone have any recommendations for a GPS unit with mapping or Google Earth images?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
kanehill

Post by kanehill »

Look into the Garmin (GPSmap60csx) it does just about everything a hand held GPS can do. I have had very good luck and customer support from Garmin, a USA co.
Excalibur Ibex
Vari-Zone Scope
Easton Carbon Power Bolts
Muzzy 125/3 Blade Broadheads
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

With the heavy duty antenna, you can't beat the 60CSx in the bush. You've got to buy the topo for your area separately though. It comes with a rudimentary basemap but if you plan on using the GPS in a vehicle for travelling, you can also buy / load City Select or Navigator or whatever they're calling it now and have all North American roads, gas stations, stores, museums etc loaded over the basemap.
2008 Phoenix w/ Varizone Scope
FFF String (Boo string wannabee)
Groundpounder Mount
Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout RF
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s
Boo

Post by Boo »

Thanks guys. I was looking at the line up of that series and see that the Map 60Cx has 50% more battery life but does not have an electronic compass or an altimeter. Is there any other difference? I'm not trying to cheap out.
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

Those are the main diffs that come to mind. The battery life has never been an issue for me. One set will last me more than a week of full time hunting. Of course I keep batteries in my pack though and can plug it into 12V in the truck or ATV. I like the compass and altimter but I carry a real compass too.

One thing I forgot to mention: a 2GB card will hold everything you will ever load on the GPS. I forget if it's mini or micro SD...
Groundpounder Mount
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s
mtbyak

Post by mtbyak »

I like the Garmin Oregon series with the touch screen, it is very easy to use.

I also have a Garmin Legend Cx which is very good as well but find it awkward to use when on my bike, which is why I bought the Oregon.

Have played with the mapping a little bit on both but not a lot & find both to be about the same.

Shoot Straight
Kirk
A bad day hunting, is better then a good day of work
Gutshot

Rino 120

Post by Gutshot »

I've got the rino 120. I've had it a number of years now and its always worked well, even in Iraq/Kuwait. But this year it is having problems locating satallite's. I have done everything the customer support suggests and can locate one or two sat's, not enough to get a location lock. The radio feature is ok, not real long ranged. I'd say maybe 1/2 mile at best. Overall, its been a good unit, might just be getting old.
sipsey

Post by sipsey »

I have the Garmin VentureHC--I dont need the altimeter since its flat around here---You buy the topo map on a disc and download what sectors you wish---neat thing is when transferring info. from unit to computor map--there is a feature up in the header that says --lookup in Google- Earth--then it opens up to the exact spot you have opened and even overlays all your data--pretty neat
Boo

Post by Boo »

What I am looking for is detail like on these maps. I think it is second best to Google Map.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=1016&pvID=2303#
sipsey

Post by sipsey »

Boo---A cool thing about the Garmin map is that it works seamlessly with Google Earth--It has a simple "click on" feature that overlays google earth right over what you are viewing and overlays your waypoints, etc.
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

Boo wrote:What I am looking for is detail like on these maps. I think it is second best to Google Map.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=1016&pvID=2303#
If you zoom in and look at the maps https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID ... overageTab you will get a pretty good idea of what you'll see on the GPS once the topo is loaded. I just checked my hunting area and it's exactly as what I see on the GPS.

I'm not sure but the guys talking about overlaying Google Earth may be talking about the PC app. At least I've never seen a feature for downloading the Google Earth overlays to the GPS. That would be too cool! I use Google Earth to do desk scouting. One of my areas has 3G reception so I can use my iPhone GPS and Google Earth.
Groundpounder Mount
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s
Boo

Post by Boo »

Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

Boo wrote:Bushnell uses satellite images.
http://www.bushnell.com/products/gps/onix400/364000/
Very cool. I hadn't heard that Bushnell was making these. It sounds like you've just volunteered to do a bush trial and review for us!
Groundpounder Mount
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s
mikdor

gps

Post by mikdor »

Hi Boo
I have an etrex legend and am very impressed with the mnap detail the only thing I would like is more capacity. My buddy has the color model and he has 24 mega bytes of storage were I have 8 and the detail is comparable, and your not spending a fortune.
good luck
mikdor
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

over the years i have had the garmin 12 , garmin etrex legend and now the garmin so can't say anything good or bad about other brands ....currently i own the garmin 60c bought it a year after it came out ...great unit ....would definelty buy another...garmin service has been great as well ...hope this helps