I feel Like giving up

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bojangles

I feel Like giving up

Post by bojangles »

I went hunting this evening around 4 pm.It was very windy and I hadnt planned on seeing much and at around 6:45 I look to my left and see a rack moving in the brush...he comes out into the bean field and turns and heads right to me...19 yards I maaaa to get him to stop,pull the trigger,and watch him run ,maby 30 yards and stop...he's just standing there(I cant reload becasue he's looking towards me) and I cant see where I hit him(I aimed right in the sweet spot though).he stands there for 30 mins and slowly takes a couple steps and seems to just dissapear...didnt hear him run of or see him..so I climb out of my stand find my arrow and it has GREAT blood on it..no fat,or guts..just nice and red..got a passthrough...follow the blood trail and find a huge pool of blood..probably the size of a basketball rim...I guess its where he was standing when I watched him walk off...after that I find only
specks of blood...about the size of my pinky nail...then nothing...We do a couple loops to see if we find any blood or body but nothing...this makes me absolutely sick..I feel like giving up on hunting.It just is a really bad feeling knowing you hit him good and find not a alot of blood and no body.
He is the biggest deer I have ever shot..Id say 130-145 inch 9 point but im not 100%..Im going out to look tommorow during the day and see if I find him.19 yard shot,rocky moutain gators 100 grain,perfectly broadside,with my phoenix..I was about 25 feet up.If I do find him the meat will likely be bad dont you think?I just am not sure if he died or not..thats what Im trying to figure out..what do you guys think?Do you think he died?Why would he bleed so good and take a couple steps then nothing?
Last edited by bojangles on Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
munch

Post by munch »

you may be alright if you get at it early we are just across the lake in southern ontario and its only about 55 degrees out tonight
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

It would be so wrong to assume that the meat would be spoiled.

It all depends on how warm it was at night, and long long before you find him that he died. There is no way you could know when it expired. Don't assume because it is bloated when you find it that the meat is unusable. Gut it and take it to your processor and get his opinion.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
michiganman

deer

Post by michiganman »

good luck and i hope you find him.when in doubt,wait it out.im not by no means here to criticize you,and its very hard to wait.on a good deer if he dosent crash off,we wait minimum 3 hours.do a good grid search,and i hope you find him.might have been back just a touch and got the liver.1-8 hrs on the kill.good luck im
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

no matter how good the hit, sometimes they just stop bleeding. Its not the bhead or shot. Its just natural for them to clot. He more than likely piled up within 75 yards of where you stopped looking. You might have even walked by him in the dark.

go back tomorrow and start over with a fresh set of eyes. Get 3-4 buddies to help and cover the area good. If they are hit hard, they will head downhill to water. Goodluck and keep us posted.. ive heart shot deer that just stoped bleeding. I found them the next day though. Even a well placed shot on a deer can travel 100-300 yards
michiganman

meat

Post by michiganman »

i doubt if you find him in the mourning,meat will be bad.if he was liver hit he might live for a few hours.as long as you didnt go in to far and push him,he should bed back down.might go another100-200yards,or untill he feels safe.he is showing signs of liver,gut hit,by standing there that long.if he clots up,then thats why your blood trail dried up.hope you get him,JIM
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
Esox

Post by Esox »

GOOD LUCK TOMORROW... I hope you find him.... Sounds like you made a good hit, but the big guys are strong animals and capable of withstanding a lot... Just take your time and work out the blood trail and figure out both the obvious and not so obvious pathways....I agree the meats gonna be lost, but right now recovery is the most important thing ..... If you didn't push him, he might not go far before he lays up... Check around water too. They'll often head for water, especialy in this heat... Take it slow and methodical and don't trample up the trail, but look for the smallest clues and keep the terrain in mind too... Good Luck.. and let us know what happens....
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

you say he had good blood on arrow & he stood in same spot fet awhile then eased on off. you mayhave a high lung hit & it dribbled out alot while he was standing still. hope you find him
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
bojangles

Post by bojangles »

this was no gut shot..that im sure of..the bood was bright red and bubbly.
I figured I got one lung or something or hit him a touch hight because i was 25 feet up??......he was standing there with his legs spread out like...like he was having trouble breathing..you could tell he was hurting.....im going to get 3 of my friends and do a 300 yard loop around where I got blood last...I will keep you posted.
michiganman

help

Post by michiganman »

get 3-4 people,and look tomarrow.it takes awhile for meat to break down,there warm already,you find him tomarrow,you should be still good,JIM
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
lscha

Post by lscha »

I know just how you feel. You won't get much sleep tonight. If it takes him a while to expire you may not lose the meat. I hope you find him tomorrow.
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Bojangles, I know how you feel. Unfortunatley that is a part of hunting we dont like to admit can happen. I think you killed that deer, just let it sit and find it in the morning with a dog if possible. Keep an eye on the skies, and an ear out for yotes. Good luck man.
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

I feel for ya bojangles. Just don't feel like giving up yet; it happens. Just take your time and go slow. Lots of deer are lost to the missed details. Good luck.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Don't give up, good luck tomorrow!
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Good Luck in finding the brute. Hope to here good news tomorrow on this post.
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]