best deer bait?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

hunter7558

best deer bait?

Post by hunter7558 »

Hi all, I dont often post here but love reading and getting everyones input, on that note I hunt a very big hunting property about 1000 acres all one farm, on the farm right now is standing corn, soya bean, alfalfa/hay fields and big mixed brush that is pretty thick there are plenty of deer on the property but there food choices vary , there is sign that they use all of the food sources, the problem i have is determining what bait i should use around my tree stands to make them go really crazy for and keep them where i want them around my tree stands... thanks :D
WISH I COULD SHOOT A DEER SOMEDAY!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

well now ifen you be after Bucks then stake out a hot Doe! :lol: if yer just after deer just trail watch along funnel areas, they will be by
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
michiganman

baiting

Post by michiganman »

here in michigan we have baited for years,but not anymore. when you have good food sources,your baiting will not work much.we have little food sources,unless acorns are plenty,thats why baiting worked well.when guys are by farms,they very seldom bait.you cant get any better food.you could try some corn,seeing how its a food they have,but you will tell the big boys were your at.
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
lscha

Post by lscha »

Like Michiganman said, when the food is plentiful (crops galore) baiting is pretty much useless. My hunting property does not have many farmers around that grow food crops so sugar beets were our choice of bait and it is almost impossible to keep the deer out of them. They bed down not far from them and feed several times a day. One year I had an abundance of red beets in my garden at home and decided to take the surplus up to the hunting property. You could tell when the deer hit them, (they loved 'em) they had red mouths and looked like they were wearing lipstick. :lol: :lol:

Can't bait anymore, but there are advantages to that too.
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
shifty

Post by shifty »

try something they dont have like a mineral lick ar buck jam
Gobble!

Post by Gobble! »

corn,corn,corn,corn
Equinox
Vari-Zone
STS
Rage 2 Blade
michiganman

bait

Post by michiganman »

you can put out all the corn here if it was still legal,and if acorns were droping they wont touch it.my borother baited with corn for years and with acorns dropping they wont touch it.but other wise its a great bait.
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
diesel

Post by diesel »

Lots of great advise here.
If you are going to bait and there is already a lot of food you will need to get something they don't have like apples.
One thing my brother does we have a stand along the edge of a bean field. He will go in the bean field just before the beans start losing their leaves and spread some rye seed. just in front of the stand area. The beans will lose the leaves and the farmer will pick the beans and the rye will just be starting to grow. When the frost comes it will stop the other things form growing but not the rye . The rye will stay nice and green all winter long just like winter wheat. The deer love it and its some thing they will dig down through the snow to get to. If we get a poor stand in a food plot come the first part of Sept. He will disk up the food plot and just walk on some rye seed ,it's cheap makes good ground cover and stays green.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I put out a feeder filled with corn in October. By the end of September most of the local deer know where it is and have sampled the feast. With the exception of a few does & fawns they do not come to it with any regularity this early - but as the rut approaches the bucks will start checking it for hot does. Usually a few scrape lines nearby, too.
This year we have acorns dropping, and the feeder is not getting much traffic right now, but as the natural forage becomes scarce it will get more use. My feeder is located on the edge of a food plot, so the deer also have clover and forage chicory to nibble on when they visit.
wabi
Missouri_Hunter

Post by Missouri_Hunter »

Deer wearing lipstick....Ischa,thats funny....told my daughter and she got a good laugh...
John Rogers
Florissant, MO
US ARMY (Retired)
[img]http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af119/johnrogers59/HPIM0800.jpg[/img]

2006 Exocet 200, Max Zone Scope,
Groundpounder Mount, Steady Eddy
Gold Point Lazer II's, 100 gr. G5 Montecs
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

in the north, apples, corn, pumkins, oats .....