tracking wounded deer

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

michiganman

tracking wounded deer

Post by michiganman »

seeing how were starting to down a few deer lets discuss trailing and when.this is to help some hunters out

theres is never a perfect answer ,but some possible guidelines.

after the shot watch your game and what they do.did you see if the hit looked good??.did the deer stop,and walk off slow,tail down??when in doubt wait it out,and if you have to sneek out away from the way your deer went,do it.

gut shot minimum,8-12 hours,

liver 3-4 hours minimum

i try to stay on stand a hour,unless i knew the deer was down.if deer just went off slow,i wont even check my arrow/bolt.the deer might still be standing /laying watching were it was hit.we will come back3-4 hours and check sign,and bolt or arrow.look for any sign of grain on the shaft,to show part gut shot.also many hunting high 25-35 ft,will often get a one lung hit due to angle if deer is close.not always fatal.

if you have to wait till next day,bring a few friends to do a search if your blood trail dries up.
many deer we find,due to a not so perfect hit will bed down usually with in 200 yards,but not always.but by waiting,especially if its cold out they will stiffen up and cant hardly run.by waiting on a gut shot deer your chances of recovery goes up 75% by waiting 12hrs.

if its a doe,she will usually bed down in a 100 yartds and you will probably find her then.our recovery has went up once we started waiting ,when in doubt.its hard to wait,but your better off .some deer jumped once will never be founds as they might go a mile with no blood trail.good luck and have a great safe season,JIM
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
lscha

Post by lscha »

Great post Michiganman!! This is a link to another discussion and may be very helpful to those fairly new to tracking wounded game.
http://www.crossbownation.com/community ... t=tracking
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
michiganman

Post by michiganman »

this is the quote from that site
You're in a blind or stand and the animal is in your strike zone. Don't shoot unless the animal is relaxed and either quartering away, or broadside. If the animal is not relaxed, you are more apt to get a string jump ( or duck is really what it is). Quartering away is always the best shot you can take, but not the only shot. If there is a string jump, the angle is best to prevent a bad shot placement. The next best shot would be broadside, but is more apt to string jump, especially at the 25 yard mark.
You always want to try for a heart shot so there is less traveling of the wounded game. A heart shot on a deer normally renders them down by about 40 yards with an arrow.
When it's time to release the arrow, watch the arrow and where it strikes the animal THROUGH THE SCOPE if using a crossbow. Don't look up until it's completed. Then, sit very still and quiet and wait while watching the direction of that animal. Remember landmarks such as the particular trees, rocks, or particular anything you can remember by the time the excitement sets in. Seems easy, but sometimes if you don't make a conscious effort, it is easily forgot "exactly" which tree and what side it exited. Look before the shot while winding your watch and waiting for the action for starters.

If you need to talk on the radio to a hunting partner, wait at least 5 minutes before making a move or noise. Sometimes the other animals are just out of view trying to figure out what happened. You don't want to educate them.
If you feel like the shot placement was good, after 30 minutes, quietly step down or out of your stand and walk to the arrow. It should be in line with the shot, but not always. Sometimes the arrow can be deflected off of a rib or after it hits the ground and vere off line. At times, I have found arrows as far away as 100 yards. Finding the arrow is important to read the signs.

You have the arrow. Now, evaluate the arrow. Does it have blood? How much? Not much but it has hair? What color is the hair? Is it white or light or dark in color?( for deer or antelope) Smell the arrow. Does it smell like guts and contents or not? If hunting hogs and some other game, is it greasy? Did the hog scream or not? If it screamed, you are in for a not so dead hog tracking adventure. If it's quiet when it retrieves, it's most likely a good and fatal shot. Does it have fresh looking contents on it? If it's fresh and green, it may be a stomach shot. If it's brown, it may be an intestine shot. You can read an arrow to help understand where the animal was hit exactly and then know what kind of a tracking job you are in for. If it is heavily covered with blood, it was a good shot and you are ready to track. If not, you may want to wait another 30 minutes at least before tracking. If it smells like gut contents, you shot too far back and it's going to be awhile ( hours) before the animal is dead, so understand that before leaving on your track. It may jump and run from it's bedding spot if tracked too soon. A wounded gut shot animal will feel sick and find a place to bed down. If there's water in the area, more than likely it will get as close to the water as possible. An animal can live without food for a long period of time, but has to have water. Also, when it's gut shot, it will get a fever and the water will help relieve the fever. If you leave it for more time, sometimes over night, the animal will more than likely stay bedded down and die during the night, instead of taking the chance on it jumping and running and possibly not leaving much of a blood trail to follow. Adrenaline does wonders on keeping game alive to flee. Doing so is called pushing the game. We don't want to push a wounded animal. The tracking gets alot tougher then. If you hunt in hills, the deer will run downhill. Hogs, you never know with them.

So, you have the arrow, and it's a good hit. From the point of impact, look towards the last spot you saw the animal. Now, look at the ground. Do you see any blood? Yes? Carefully watch the trail of blood, and follow it slowly, in the direction you last saw the game. Don't let people walk in front of the tracker. It may cost you your animal if sign is destroyed. Keep following slowly and occasionally marking the last blood every so often in case you have to start over. I use a day orange hanky I tie to a low hanging branch, or two sticks criss crossed at the blood, or even a chunk of grass with the dirt attached, on a tree limb, or rocks stacked so you can get a visual if you've passed the area and have to go back to last blood. I find that going back to last blood helps me get a line on direction again so I know where to concentrate on looking for sign. You should find the animal if it was a blood covered arrow.

No blood? Look for the animals hoof track in the dirt. Even for moved leaves. It should have dug out when it fled and left a heavy mark in the dirt. You may have to follow this track which will be heavier than the non wounded games track that was with it. Also, if there is grass and a trail, squat down and look into the trail on the sides of the grass to see if you spot any blood. I do this alot! Again, if you loose the blood on the ground, look a the sides of trees and brush it may have fled over while leaving the area. Have patience. Use all of these tactics and signs, because everything leaves sign. Still no blood? Look for broken low limbs or brush limbs or grass. This is why it is important for no one to pass up the lead tracker. The tracker can find the broken vegetation, but once something or someone else has walked through the area, you no longer know which made that trail and broke the brush.

Deer usually run a fairly straight line, but not always. If it sees a good thick bedding spot, it will turn to go to that area. Hogs will do circles at times, and make sharp turns. Deer rarely make sharp turns. Each animal can do specific things, so depending on the game, know where to look next when the blood trail and track is lost. When blood is lost, it should be able to be picked up or other sign be found within 20 yards. Deer also tend to run to water when wounded, so when it's time for game plan 2, at last blood, look in the direction that will lead to a local watering hole, or known bedding area. Also, a wounded deer at times can be found at 250 yards from the original shot area. Don't give up until you have covered that radius. If no more sign can be found at all and it's time to give up the trail, it's time to do circles of the radius of that area, or sweep the area. You always want to be on the look out for blood on anything, but you also want to be looking for a body. Never pass up the very thick vegetation because that is most likely where you will find the downed animal. In a hiding spot. There is a difference between a fatal run and a run of a wounded, gut shot animal.The wounded animal will run then look for a bedding place out of sight and you won't be finding it on a trail, but rather in a hiding spot. Fatally hit game will run until they just drop most of the time, no matter where it is. You would be amazed at how many times I've found blood again 50 yards from last blood just by accident on a sweep. It may have been the tracker just missed something, and not the blood stopping. If you track with more than one person, let the stronger tracker be the lead, but if he gets lost as to the sign, let someone else take a look. Sometimes, eye strain is a factor. Fresh eyes are a good move then. When sign is not strong, by all means while tracking, stay off the trail and walk beside the trail paying attention to not stepping on any sign before taking the next step.
Rocket Broadhead staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

This is very good information for all to read and remember. When a shot is taken, it is very tempting to jump down right quick and go look for your arrrow and the animal, but that is the worst thing you could do.

Every year we read of bow hunters who work hard all year getting their gear and stands all set up, practice with equipment for hours and hours, make a shot/hit, and then lose the animal. It is heartbreaking to lose an animal for any reason, so do all that you can before and after the shot to insure a good hit and recovery.

If I could make one suggestion for bow hunters, it would be to be to "have patience". Don't be in a rush to get a shot off, wait for the right moment when the deer is broadside and calm, head down, etc. If the right shot opportunity doesn't come, don't shoot. The deer may come back in a few minutes, this afternoon, tomorrow, etc. After a shot, have patience, and don't move. Wait and listen for an hour or so before climbing down to look for your arrow and check for sign of a hit. During that wait, you may hear a crash of a deer going down, hear some form of disturbance off in the distance that would indicate a path of travel, birds squawking at a downed deer, etc.

Remember, shooting a bow and arrow is not like shooting a rifle where the hit, shock, and damage is instant.

Good luck to all.

Dave
wabi

Post by wabi »

A lot of good info on this old thread -
Tracking wounded deer
wabi
bbbwb

Tracking wounded Deer

Post by bbbwb »

Michiganman:
A great post with key info to follow.
Good luck o all this season.

bbbwb
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

In addition to all this great info there is a good book on the subject that I highly recommend called Finding Wounded Deer by John Trout Jr. It can usually be had at Amazon for under $5.00 and is a great read. I think that this book should be given to all who attend hunter safety classes.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

I read an interesting article on the Cabela's website just recently that went against the common thinking regarding waiting to track deer. The author, Jim Shockey, was saying that if you think it was a bad shot you should start tracking right away. Otherwise the deer's blood's ability to coagulate quickly could stop the bleeding and you'll lose your blood trail. Pushing the deer prevents the coagullation and keeps the blood trail going. The deer will try to bed down but you will push it to keep going and keep bleeding out. Eventually you'll catch up to it. Here's a link to the article. Here's another article on tracking deer.
2008 Phoenix w/ Varizone Scope
FFF String (Boo string wannabee)
Groundpounder Mount
Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout RF
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Horizontal Hunter wrote:In addition to all this great info there is a good book on the subject that I highly recommend called Finding Wounded Deer by John Trout Jr. It can usually be had at Amazon for under $5.00 and is a great read. I think that this book should be given to all who attend hunter safety classes.

Bob

John is a long time (41 years) hunting buddy of mine. We've been on MANY a blood trail together.

I'm sure that if you go back and read the book again he will reference me and a few bad hits. Outdoor writers like to use other hunter's bad hits as examples and oft times don't mention their own. ;)

John's site is at.. http://troutswildoutdoors.com/

The number one attribute in blood trailing is PERSISTANCE. Stick with it..
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Phoenix_Tom wrote:I read an interesting article on the Cabela's website just recently that went against the common thinking regarding waiting to track deer. The author, Jim Shockey, was saying that if you think it was a bad shot you should start tracking right away. Otherwise the deer's blood's ability to coagulate quickly could stop the bleeding and you'll lose your blood trail. Pushing the deer prevents the coagullation and keeps the blood trail going. The deer will try to bed down but you will push it to keep going and keep bleeding out. Eventually you'll catch up to it. Here's a link to the article. Here's another article on tracking deer.
Disagree with Jim on the pushing bad hits IF they are gut hits. All you'll do is push the deer and lose it. Bad meat hits? Yeah, push him at a slow quiet walk.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

"Woody Williams
John is a long time (41 years) hunting buddy of mine. We've been on MANY a blood trail together.

I'm sure that if you go back and read the book again he will reference me and a few bad hits. Outdoor writers like to use other hunter's bad hits as examples and oft times don't mention their own. ;)

John's site is at.. http://troutswildoutdoors.com/

The number one attribute in blood trailing is PERSISTANCE. Stick with it..
I have read it a couple of times and I wondered if that was you when I read some of the examples. Reading and re-reading hunting books is what gets me through the off season.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Vortex in SD

Post by Vortex in SD »

What I have found is that the best way to never loose the blood trail :) :) is when they are close under your tree -- is to put your hunting knife in your teeth and when you jump on their back , this only works for those that use treestands, you must hold on tight and ride him or her to their resting place :lol: :P
michiganman

hits

Post by michiganman »

about the only time i get right down would be a a back leg hit,were you want to push the annimal to keep it bleeding,and hopefully will bleed out,or cant run any more.for my family of 6 hunters,waiting,and persisitance has paid of greatly.
brother hit a buck,he thought was a good hit.it was liver,one lung.we were going in after good 3 hours,but the rain came in two.we went in just ahead of the rain,and jumped that buck,and pushe him in the rain,1 full mile.he was bedding every 75 yards,so we marked last spot,and found him 75 yards from last trail.also having a couple pairs of young eyes looking for specks help us older guys out.my 21year old daughter is turning into one good tracker.when you can track them down with no blood trail then your getting good.but then again when your good,there will still be one you cant track,JIM
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
michiganman

tracking

Post by michiganman »

well i was hoping i didnt have to post this follow up.but i need to keep it real,and i consider myself a decent tracker/
last night my nephew thought he had a great hit at 8 yards,and came out after hit.we were going to wait 3-4 hrs to be safe,but rain was comming early.we waited 2.5 hrs and started slow track.only went 150 yards and blood petered out.looked dark like liver hit,with a 1.5" head.we didn not goe far,and waited till 10 am today,with rain all night.today we spent 4.5hrs doing a major grid search trough swamps ,swail and water.was a big 8 pointer for this area,and probably did not bed down till he made it to were he came from.there is miles of woods, and we did our best.i was on my knees for a hr last night looking for specks,and will tall grass and no leaves made for a hard track.wish it hadnt rained,but i doubt it change any thing.we did leave the area,felling like crap,as we didnt find this buck,but we knew we gave him our best.we were all soaked,

the buck was not running but walking ,so left no foot prints,and then rain came down.leave it all out there,and thats all you can do.ive been tracking 40 years,and brother 53,and we left it all there.
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Vortex in SD wrote:What I have found is that the best way to never loose the blood trail :) :) is when they are close under your tree -- is to put your hunting knife in your teeth and when you jump on their back , this only works for those that use treestands, you must hold on tight and ride him or her to their resting place :lol: :P
hehehe had a buddy shoot a deer and he went up to it and sat on it and deer got up and ran, 50 yards on his back holding his horns screaming for help. Could not help as we were laughting to hard seeing him going through the field on the bucks back. LOL