DEER CALLIN

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

warningshot

DEER CALLIN

Post by warningshot »

what would be a good approach for the opener of deer tomorrow ....rattlin, grunting, contact callin etc ?
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

For the first few times out I'd do nothing. Closer to the end of the month, I'd use a doe bleat.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
bojangles

Post by bojangles »

I do no calling until october25 and on..last year in our area we seen many bucks chasing and breeding does around the last few days of October throught the first week of November..I just hunt a food source this early in the season....
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

a SLIGHT TICKLE OF THE ANTLERS IS AS FAR AS i PLAN TO GO FOR A COUPLE 'O WEEKS
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Ok, I said that, but it didnt stay true to my word. I used a buck grunt today and had two does come to the base of my tree from 75+ yards. They were walking away from me and did full circle :lol:
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Gobble!

Post by Gobble! »

until the pre rut gets started i do very little
Equinox
Vari-Zone
STS
Rage 2 Blade
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

one shot scott wrote:a SLIGHT TICKLE OF THE ANTLERS IS AS FAR AS i PLAN TO GO FOR A COUPLE 'O WEEKS
tickling the antlers works really well most of the season!!! I swear by it... bucks like to feel each other out this time of the year. Soft rattling works wonders 8)

Ill grunt softly about every 30mins and maybe softly rattle once in the morning from about 9am till 10am. If I see a good buck in a field, Ill rattle to try and get his attention if he's going the wrong way
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

Last edited by fuzzy on Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
northbaydude

Post by northbaydude »

i went out today 7-7 in my tree stand with my electronic call and used every one of those and saw no deer at all. i wish if i read this post before going. does anyone know if those electronic calls are any good? they have a doe bleat, buck fight, social grunt etc...today was my first day ever out there and i was up 25 feet on the tree and had lots of fun enjoying the outdoors.
Northbaydude
Looking for hunting groups and/or frineds in North Bay Ontario area
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

never tried the electronic calls in the field never really liked the sound of them...i guess i'm old school ....

did a little calling this afternoon had a few look around...ended up seeing 3 bucks ,3 fawns and 6 does , everything was just a bit out of range ...this was the few shots i got off...
Last edited by warningshot on Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

dlzinck

Post by dlzinck »

anybody ever use one of those fake rattling antler noise makers... might be easier than caring a rack around.
[img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s259/dlzinck/arrow.gif[/img]

Good hunting!!
Pround member of Team PETA
Missouri_Hunter

Post by Missouri_Hunter »

I have used the "fake antler" calls or "rattle bags"...they are a little bag with wood planks inside it...they sound pretty good...I have had deer come in and look for the source...they do not take up much room in my fanny pack...I wrap a bungee cord around it when I carry it in my fanny pack....I think mine is from hunter specialties or maybe primos...don't remeber which....and I will usually use soft bleats or grunts and maybe a tickling sound with the rattle bags...nothing too loud or aggressive this early....just my 2 cents. 8)
John Rogers
Florissant, MO
US ARMY (Retired)
[img]http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af119/johnrogers59/HPIM0800.jpg[/img]

2006 Exocet 200, Max Zone Scope,
Groundpounder Mount, Steady Eddy
Gold Point Lazer II's, 100 gr. G5 Montecs