PHOTOS FROM ZAMBIA

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bill T

PHOTOS FROM ZAMBIA

Post by Bill T »

I've finally got caught up to the point where I downloaded my photos from the lion hunt and I thought that I'd put them up for you folks to see. If you refer to the short story of the hunt from last Friday you'll find that they make a bit more sense. Enjoy!

I crawled home yesterday afternoon after about 38 hours in transit! Man, what a long trip that was, about 25 days from start to finish and the middle 23 days were in about the most wild and remote part of Africa.
I'm still trying to get myself back into the time zone but I'll give you guys a quick report on the hunt. The lion stuff went exceptionally well, first day we went out and shot a big bull hippo with a 375 H&H for bait, and cut it up into four BIG baits. We hung 3 of them and within the first night we got a hit on one by a lioness. Next day the lioness had 2 young boyfriends join her but the big news was that the second bait had been hit by a BIG male with 7" mane hairs. We built a blind in a brushy area on the ground about 18 yards from the bait and returned that night (night 4 of the hunt) with intentions of staying all night if the lion didn't come in before dark in the hopes that it would be there still at first light. Just before sunset a bushbuch barked near us and we were on high alert waiting for him to arrive but as it started to get really dark I was pretty much resigned to a night at ground zero of a lion bait in nothing more than a thin grass hide. Dave, the camera guy, suddenly whispered that a lion was there and I grabbed the bow and leaned forward to see out the shooting hole. The lion stood at around 22 yards broadside with it's mane billowing in the wind, then laid down like a sphynx quartering forward in a less than ideal shooting position, watching the blind. My PH mike was going ballistic telling me to shoot but I was going through some mental gymnastics trying to decide whether to shoot at such a tough angle. I looked at Dave and he confirmed that it was on camera but very dark. The clincher in the decision was that I REALLY didn't want to spend 12 hours listening to him roar and eat hippo 18 yards away, and I decided to take the shot.
I put the crosshair right on his front leg and squeezed the shot off. The arrow smacked him and quartered back towards his back right leg and he roared and got out of there as quick as possible, circling back to where he came from behind the bait tree. I knew that it was a killing shot, but not perfect, so we very quietly bailed out the back of the blind and headed to the truck. One thing that isn't a good idea is to track lions at night, so we waited till next day at dawn to see what happened. Since the bait was very close to the North Luangua Park I slept pretty poorly worrying that the lion had gone across the border and would become a nightmare to recover. Next morning the trackers only went a tad over 100 yards before I heard about the happiest shout that I could imagine, he was dead in his tracks! We loaded him into the truck and when we got back to camp I was treated to a real treat as the locals celebrated the end of another dangerous predator on our arrival.
A really unforgettable hunt, and a fantastic lion as well..............Bill
Excalibur Marketing Dude
Site Admin

Post by Excalibur Marketing Dude »

The pictures are up now...you guys are too fast!

Peter
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

INCREDIBLE!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

That is a fantastic lion!
wabi

Post by wabi »

Thanks for sharing the pics with us Bill.
Very good story and trophy!
wabi
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I suppose we know where the #1 Relayer went guys, to Africa! 8) Nice broken arrow souvenir to go with that beast of a lion! :)

Thanks for posting the pictures. Did you try and get your buddies to smile?

I hope to have a trophy or two to post myself by this time next week. And it will have more horns than anything you just posted. :lol:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Normous

Post by Normous »

Nice trophy Bill & Katherine!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Very cool!!thanks for the story and pics!!
The best things in life are not things!!
swiftfox

Photos from Zambia

Post by swiftfox »

Nice pic's Bill great Lion. Bet you know all the words to "In the jungle the quiet jungle the .... sleeps tonight" :?: :lol: :lol:

Swiftfox
Be the kind of Woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the Devil says "Oh! crap She's up"
diesel

Post by diesel »

Great pics thanks for sharing.
Bill T

Post by Bill T »

OK, you guys caught me....
The bow IS an Exomax frame on one of the samples we received in preparation for the Y25 stocks. I just can't get away with anything, can I?
saxman

Post by saxman »

Congrats,what a great hunt that must have been.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Bill T wrote:OK, you guys caught me....
The bow IS an Exomax frame on one of the samples we received in preparation for the Y25 stocks. I just can't get away with anything, can I?
So, I suppose that stock was number 0. 8) Looks good on the Max Bill T . . .it would look better on mine. :shock: OH YEAH! :lol:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
dutchhunter

wow

Post by dutchhunter »

that si fantastic .i am iving my dreams thru your pics great hunt .il bet that realy got your heart going .if you need a bow baerer i will be there for you just let me now when we leave DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:D Thanks for sharing Bill :D