Stock vortex setup?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Crispy

Stock vortex setup?

Post by Crispy »

I have a 2009 vortex that came with a vari-zone scope, and I thought 1doz. firebolts. Turns out I have 6 firebolts and 6 goldtip laser-2's. They are all fletched the same, I never looked at them that close. My package also came with wasp SST 100's. Does anybody use this type of combo? Witch shaft is better? The wasp sst 100 look awful small. I like fixed blade broadheads, whats my best combo? Also is the Boo string and groundpounder mount somthing I should consider and why?
flintman

Post by flintman »

I also have the same setup you have but my Vortex is a 2007. I use the Firebolt Arrows. I have had good performance with the small wasp on Whitetail and Turkey. I also purchased the mechanical that Excalibur puts out and they perform well for me. I don't know enough about the Boo String to make a comment on it but from what I read in the forums, it is well worth a try.
Vortex
Varizone
Wasp
South Central Kentucky
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

You can not go wrong with the Boo string and Groundpounder mount. They are legendary. Both are the very best. Well worth the price. They are going on my vortex. :)
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

There's nothing wrong with your arrow's, the boo string is tops get one, plus a sts and groundpounder mount, as far as BH's I like the magnus stingers life time warranty and they go where you aim

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

Also is the Boo string and groundpounder mount somthing I should consider and why?
I would say yes :)
But to explain. Have you used your xbow much yet? Have you tried bench shooting with your quiver attached to your xbow? Its very much in the way if you have. Have you slung your xbow over your shoulder to carry with the factory quiver mount? Your bolts were probably hitting you in the back and you might have even knocked one or two out of your quiver. Not to mention balance. The factory mount is hanging the weight of the quiver off to ones side where the groundpounder is centered over the top of the xbow. These are a few of the reasons I use and came up with the mount.

And as far as the string question. I am using custom strings from forum member Comfybear and have been extremely pleased. I don't know if he is selling them any more or not but if not I would not hesitate to purchase a new string from Boo. I just haven't had the need to yet.
Why ride when you can walk!
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I prefer low profile heads (short), with 4 blades, they don't plane the arrow like big heads do. Look s mall but they DELIVER.
My choice: Slick Trick mags on Gold Tip Lazer IIs with 110 g brass insert and 2" Blazers.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Crispy

Post by Crispy »

Thanks everybody, you guys are a wealth of info. I do have the sts on my xbow, and have pmd groundpounder now I need to get a boo string! Once again thanks for everything
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Crispy wrote:Thanks everybody, you guys are a wealth of info. I do have the sts on my xbow, and have pmd groundpounder now I need to get a boo string! Once again thanks for everything
The groundpounder mount even works as a bow stand!!! :) :)
Bambiblaster

Post by Bambiblaster »

As Boo has said in the past use your factory string for awhile till you get acustomed to the bow. Mainly dryfires :roll: :roll: . Once your ready then go for a Boo.. I have the GP mount but wont goto Boo till next year..
EXCAL VORTEX
S5
VARI-ZONE
LUMINOCK FIREBOLTS
CROSS TRICKS
WYVERN QUIVER MOUNT
Treelimb 3-Arrow Quiver
Bob1961 Red Cocking Rope
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Bambiblaster wrote:As Boo has said in the past use your factory string for awhile till you get acustomed to the bow. Mainly dryfires :roll: :roll: . Once your ready then go for a Boo.. I have the GP mount but wont goto Boo till next year..
Good idea. But it's best to develop a "routine" to avoid DFs. 1) Cock bow 2) Engage safety-BEFORE PICKING UP BOW...every time!!!! 3) etc.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!