opening day for VA

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Kelley

Post by Kelley »

About the same here. I saw 1 doe about 50 yards and 1 yote about the same distance in opposite direction to the doe. No shots taken.
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Its been mid 70s here all week until today. Its 82 right now. I doubt much happens until it cools back down. I'm gonna hunt over beans today since it will get dark in the woods about 30mins before it does over a field. I'm heading back out around 3. Goodluck everyone
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

No hunting for me this weekend CF, have three grandchildren here along with our daughter and son-in-law.

The daughter and the son-in-law are hunting two of the nice funnels here in the neighborhood while the Swede and I baby sit.

My grandson just turned two this past week. Is it too early to buy him a crossbow? :lol:
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

The Texas season started cool for once. It was 47 on the thermometer this morning which is at least 20 degrees cooler than normal for the first part of Oct. Lots of moon up tho so most everyone had a slow morning. I had three slick heads come in and feed about 8:15am. I didnt shoot one on opening morning, but will later in the season if I get the chance. No turkeys or hogs at my spot today. This morning was my only hunt for the weekend I think as we have a high school reunion this evening and it is supposed to rain and storm tonight and through the first part of the week.I had the safety off and the red dot on but decided to wait. I hope that it is not one of those decisions that you regret later.Was sure fun to be back out in the woods . Good luck every one.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

crazyfarmer wrote:Opening morning was very slow. Didn't even see a deer this morning. The weather isn't right for them to move much now.
It was pretty good in Loudoun County. I bagged a 5pt @ 7:42 and a doe @ 8:14. I'm in the woods now as my son's guide. Pics later.

DuckHunt
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

it was 42 here this morning, didn't hunt its go to town day. Kelly, 50 yds saw a deer & a yote! i can't see 40 yds where my climber is hooked up.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

Gotta remember Smoke I am in the flatlands. So many weeds and undergrowth I couldn't have taken a shot even if I wanted. Longest possible shot from my stand is 38 yards. This is the fifth year I have hunted this stand and my longest shot taken was 25 yards and resulted in having a doe down last year.
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

my stands are about 40 yds fer seeing but 35 & closer fer a decent shot thru all the limbs & trees
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Well I saw 8 doe and 1 small 6pt so things improved a little for me. The full moon is killer I think
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I'm in Virginia with limited internet . . .I saw plenty of deer while driving to my property. One very nice 6 point ran along the fence line with me for a few yards. Once in the stand and daylight . . .nothing until 9:45 and a nice cowhorn came within 15 yards. Nothing else until 2p.m. and it was the same buck came running in until he got into my shooting lane and he stops. He eats a little and leaves . . .guess he fugured out I wasn't going to shoot him on the first pass. :lol: I saw a small doe on the adjoining proporty, but, a little out of range at 4:55. Nothing else until after dark on the ride home . . .saw plenty on the 15 minute drive.

The moon is as bright as the sun. Got some clouds coming in Tuesday. Temps are good here in the mountains.

Glad to see folks scoring. Good job getting us on the board Rich!! Congrats to all.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Didn't squeez the trig, let everything walk hunted the woods in the am, could have been done by 7:30, seen deer coming and going best part of day,it slowed up around 3:00 then I moved to another stand between beans and corn, seen a couple on my hit list to far for excal. From what I seen acorns during the morning til 1 or 2 then they hit the fields in the evening, Monday doing the same, good luck all

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

With the moon the deer moved very early and bedded before 1st light. Then mid day a few deer moved and in the evening my son saw 3 doe's and two small bucks. Yes it was a slow day.