Headin' up to the huntcamp... (we're back! pics added)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TPM

Headin' up to the huntcamp... (we're back! pics added)

Post by TPM »

Just finishing the packing for tomorrow's early morning trip up to our huntcamp. Xbowkidd and I are adding a bunk room to the humble shack so we have a little more sleeping space for a couple more guys. Thanks Rob for offering your skills and expertise in getting this project done. :D We'll be taking the shotguns along with the hope of potting a couple of grouse for supper tomorrow night.
Will post pics of the new addition when we get back on Sunday.

Last edited by TPM on Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Looks like a little piece of heaven there tpm, good luck!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
bbbwb

Hunt camp

Post by bbbwb »

That is my idea of a retreat to the solitude --- simple but sufficient. Good luck

bbbwb
xbowkidd

Post by xbowkidd »

hope we can keep dry...
Team Dryfire
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Looking Good 8)
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Had a call from TPM a couple of hours ago to say they made it up safely with N8trboy's truck and a trailer of supplies for the little addition to the shack. It will be good to have a few extra feet of sleeping or storage space up there as it was a pretty tight space for 3 people. (10'x14').

Sounds like there's not much of that precious peace and solitude up there right now. Our new neighbour up there has bulldozers, a skidder, trucks, ATVs and is using a nearby clearing as a staging area for putting roads and trails all though his property. On the positive side, he & his crew helped tow the trailer in the last few almost impassible 100 yards. He also offered to doze the trail (old logging road) in for us, as well as a few other trails on our property. Then he left Tim & Rob the keys to his ATV to get around for the weekend. I'm impressed.

The neighbour's work crew told Tim that there is an abundance of bears up there and Tim said our shack had claw marks on it. We rarely saw bears up there in years past, but as in so many other areas of the province the population seems to have increased.

I haven't been able to join the boys for their deer hunts up there since the year after our boy was born, and it sounds like the place has changed a bit. A lot of the trails have grown and lots of trees have blown down since I last was up. Could be handy to have a neighbour with a dozer. :D

Am very grateful to Rob for volunteering to put an addition on the little shack and to Mark for loaning us his truck to haul the trailer up. Amazing how people that were just forum names a year ago have become such good friends!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Good luck and I will look forward to any stories from your trip.
Tenpoint Matrix
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Sounds like fun ... Looking forward to the pic's .
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
N8tr Boy

Post by N8tr Boy »

I would have gone up with the guys but after the fund raiser last night for our sons mission trip to Switzerland and Russia, I am a little wiped- out :shock: I bbq 110 lbs of pork shoulder from 9 am 'til 5 pm and fed almost 200 people. Saw TPM and little tpm , thanks for coming and xbowkidd also helped as did his wife Kelley. Yes, friends are wonderful. Wonder how life would be without any? Pretty borring and lonely I would think :(
Exomax
GT II Lazer arrows
125gr expandables
White Tiger 2" Blazer vanes
Chartruese Custom Boo string
Stricknine Expandables
Dabbling with Trad 55#
Mathews Q2 60-70#
Beman arrows
bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

great looking spot.
TPM

Post by TPM »

While most of you guys were headed for your stands early Saturday morning xbowkidd and I were heading north with the lumber for the cabin addition. Weather had been a bit wet up there and it was a bit of an adventure getting back to the cabin but with a little help from the work crew (and their ATV and bulldozer) working at the neighbours property we managed to get the trailer back to where we wanted it.
Rob had all the walls, deck and roof trusses prefabbed so it was a matter of piecing the room together.

We have no hydro up there so I cut the opening out with the chainsaw. (Red Green would be proud :D )

Rob putting the first wall up.

Roof trusses going up.

View from the inside of the "skinnyman door" to the new room.

The finished product! Still have to shingle next trip up.

Couldn't go up without doing some grouse hunting. Rob hunting a usually productive covert. The bush is still very thick so the shot opportunities were minimal. We flushed a few over the week-end but never managed to connect. Such is grouse hunting!

It's good to have a neighbour with a bulldozer. Kind neighbour Mike cleaning up our laneway into the cabin.

Despite the intermittent rain and the mud it was a very productive week-end. Rob did an awesome job designing and prefabbing the room and fitting it together when we got there. First rate work! Thanks so much Rob! :D Next trip up will be all hunting. :wink:
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
wabi

Post by wabi »

Looks like a good place to escape from civilization. :D
If the foliage is too thick for wing shooting try taking the grouse in the pre-flight position. :wink: :lol: :lol:
wabi
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

Man that looks like a luxury suite in a 5 star hotel compared to some of the camps I've been in over the years!
Nice job, it will be well worth the time and effort put in it.
I think your neighbor deserves a good slab of meat from your first kill there this season. We all need neighbors/friends like that.
Phoenix
Varizone
Slick Trick 125 mags
Polaris Ranger 4x4 to haul the meat
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Looks great guys!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
FJB

Post by FJB »

Looks like it is going to be a little piece of heaven! Good work guys!