Varizone Sight In?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

beagler

Varizone Sight In?

Post by beagler »

Ok guys I've read some past posts regarding sighting in my new Varizone Scope but I'm alittle slow. Can anyone rehash the process for me please? I'm shooting a brand new Equinox and haven't chronographed my arrow speed. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I have most of this set up documented with pictures, if any part of it is unclear just ask..

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... black+line
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
PA_DeerHunter

Post by PA_DeerHunter »

PydPiper's method is similar to my own. I simply begin at 5 yards to make sure my scope is at least close to the bullseye. Once I make some slight adjustments to get close to center I move my target Block out to 20 yards and sight in with the crosshairs (ie. crosshairs represent 20 yard shot).

Once sighted in at 20 yards, I then move my target Block out to 50 yards (make sure it is placed at 50, and not simply guessed).

Now, using the 20 yard crosshair aim and shoot at 50 yard target (NOTE: this will mean aiming at a point high enough above target center that will allow bolt to take its trajectory and still hit main target. This will mean using a tall target, or what I do is use a yardstick with a 3" orange dot taped to end of stick, and then mount at top of target face.)

After shot is taken, place xbow back on sandbags and now aim crosshairs on same 50 yard orange dot again. Notice the distance between aim point and POI of bolt.

Now, with xbow firmly placed in sandbags, and your crosshairs again on the same aimpoint of 50 yard shot just made, adjust your magnification (ie. speed knob) until the 50 yard bar in scope aligns with POI of bolt. Again, make sure the xbow does not move as you adjust the speed knob. By doing this you are simply adjusting the scope's magnification to match the drop of the arrow/bolt.

You're now zeroed for 20 yards with crosshair, and 50 yards with bottom bar of scope reticle.

The trajectory of bolt follows a parabola that roughly approximates the hash marks (mildots) of your scope.

I used this technique to adjust my varizone, and am spot on with all 10 yard increments from 20 to 50 yards.
beagler

Post by beagler »

Thanks guys! Took less than 45 minutes to sight in. Getting 2" groups at 40 yards! Hitting great at 10, 20, 30 and 40 yards. Didn't try shooting at 50. :D