Illinois bow hunter kills his friend.............

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Woody Williams

Illinois bow hunter kills his friend.............

Post by Woody Williams »

JOHNSONVILLE, Ill. — A young Fairfield, Ill., hunter was killed Thursday night when his friend apparently mistook him for a wild turkey and shot him in the back with an arrow.Aaron J. Long, 20, was pronounced dead at the scene shortly after 7 p.m. Thursday night.

According to Wayne County Sheriff Jim Hinkle, Long had been hunting near the Sam Dale Lake State Park with several friends Thursday evening when he decided to come down from his deer stand earlier than expected.“Mr. Long was sitting on a small ridge when his 16-year-old friend walked up on him and mistook him for a wild turkey,” Hinkle said. “He was struck in the upper back and died at the scene.”

The accident remains under investigation by Illinois State Police, the Illinois Department of Natural Resources, and Wayne County Coroner Jimmy Taylor. The scene of the shooting is in a remote part of northwestern Wayne County, at the north end of Sam Dale Lake.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Normous

Post by Normous »

Very tragic for those involved.
After 7:00 pm, hmmm??
EVERYBODY, PLEASE USE YOUR FLASHLIGHTS WHEN COMING OUT AFTER YOUR HUNT.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

thats very sad to hear. i just don't believe those are accidents, no way in he!! that a person looks like a turkey.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Is it just me or does it seem like alot of accidents happen while Turkey hunting? I just took the turkey course this fall and safety was a huge part of it. It seems hard to mistake your Buddy for a turkey while bow hunting. KNOW YOUR TARGET. Now 2 people are screwed for life.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

I really can not see how it could happen. And with an arrow. Very sad.
Dumbazz

Post by Dumbazz »

Shooter should be in a jail cell for a very long time.

The fact that he took his buddy's life is not anywhere near the punishment this person deserves IMO.
I come by my name honestly.
deer jamie

Post by deer jamie »

:? unbelievable how did the guy know if it was a hen or a tom as hens are eligal??? When turky hunting there should be no mistake kinda like deer hunting if you only have a buck tage you better make dam sure the deer has antlers . Did this hunter not look at the head of the persumed turkey. He should also be charged potential poaching??? I dono sounds pretty fishy!!!!! :?:
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

bstout wrote:The *parents* (of the 16 year shooter) should do some prison time in my opinion.
All is fine that our goverment wants a law making parents responsable for there kids till they are 18. I say fine and dandy if that is the case but then they must stay out of our lives and not tell us how to raise them then if that is the case.

If your kid kills someone impaired driving should you go to jail for it?

Kids parents were not even there. Maybe they were drinking.
gogo

Post by gogo »

Two families will never be the same again. Very tragic. I don't care how old the hunter is, how can you shoot at something that your not 100% sure what it is? I'm sure we will hear about other such happenings. God bless everyone be careful and hunt safe.
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

This happened about 30 miles from me. Heard it on Fairfield Radio. Just shows the lack of hunting training and carelessness of today's youth.
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Almost as bad as the turkey hunter (pot head) got stoned while turkey hunting, mistook his little boy for a turkey and killed him. I don't understand what some people are thinking at times like these.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Very sad. How did he shoot him in the back? Almost sounds like they were walking in or out and some fired by accident. Crossbow? Aren't turkeys on roast way before then also? I'm sure the facts will come out soon
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Kelley wrote:This happened about 30 miles from me. Heard it on Fairfield Radio. Just shows the lack of hunting training and carelessness of today's youth.
Kelley
I've hunted in and around the Fairfield area....Sims, Enterprise and Wynoose. I'm hunting down by Dale Illinois now.

The way I read the article is the deceased was sitting down and I guess the shooter saw just his upper torso. The victim probably moved a little and the shooter's mind thought "TURKEY!" and he shot.

Sad situtation all around..
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

deer jamie wrote::? unbelievable how did the guy know if it was a hen or a tom as hens are eligal??? When turky hunting there should be no mistake kinda like deer hunting if you only have a buck tage you better make dam sure the deer has antlers . Did this hunter not look at the head of the persumed turkey. He should also be charged potential poaching??? I dono sounds pretty fishy!!!!! :?:
Hens are legal, In southern Ontario in the fall. Not spring though.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

News said victim was sitting on the crest of a small hill. The guy that shot him was walking to vehicle and thought he was a turkey. I think it was after legal hunting time. Haven't heard anything on the news since the day after the death. Keeping it pretty quite.
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire