How windy is too windy

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

dlzinck

How windy is too windy

Post by dlzinck »

We're expecting wind of 15 to 20mp tomorrow with occasional gusts... will this shut them down... would this keep you out of a tree tomorrow?
Last edited by dlzinck on Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s259/dlzinck/arrow.gif[/img]

Good hunting!!
Pround member of Team PETA
bojangles

Post by bojangles »

I went out hunting when I shot a big 9 point(different thread,I did not find the deer).The wind was 30-40 mph gusts at times and I expected to see nothing... so I dont think it matters as long as it doesnt get to crazy,like 50+ mph...I know the tree/treestand was swaying back and fourth pretty good and I kept thinking to myself ''what the heck am I doing out in this wind..I must be nuts'' LOL...Just never know when the big boys will walk by.
dlzinck

Post by dlzinck »

Well I got up with the best of intentions.... but we have a wind advisory with gusts upwards of 50 mph... Sorry cannot go up in a tree in this. We've already lost power twice and branches are coming down in the back yard!!

Don't really want to get hit with a large branch in a tree stand :shock:
[img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s259/dlzinck/arrow.gif[/img]

Good hunting!!
Pround member of Team PETA
bojangles

Post by bojangles »

yea..it might be best to stay home then if its blowing that hard :shock:
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

Widow makers.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I just got out of my tree, 50 kph winds, it was quite a ride, no deer though.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
vapredhunter

Post by vapredhunter »

I don't like to hunt the wind but I like to hunt the ground in the wind I can sneak around all camoed up . I have seen and killed several deer in the wind. Your scent is swirling all around deer are confused its great for a good spot and stalk sometimes and theres nothing like stalking any size buck and shooting them eye to eye with a bow or crossbow.
[img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f69/vapredhunter/Hunting/yoterun.gif[/img]
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

find some bottoms and hillsides out of the wind and hunt;) I killed my best buck last year in the 35mph gusts on a hillside out of the wind. Granted I got sick for 10 days after though LOL
killshot

Post by killshot »

I was up in my tree stand a few years back on a very windy afternoon. The wind was blowing so bad that I had to hang on to the tree because I was afraid I was going to fall out. Just as I was thinking about getting down a big gust of wind came up and I hear this loud noise behind me, I look around and my ladder was lying on the ground. I am 16 feet up and no branches. I sat there till dark 2.5 hrs. After dark I shot 3 shots to get my hunting buddies attention but it was still windy and they couldn't hear my shots. 3/4 of an hour later I decide to hang off the end of my stand by my hand and let my self fall into the bushes below. It was so dark you couldn't see anything. ( I remember saying to myself " this is a bad idea")After I was on the ground and got back up on my feet I start walking up the field to the house. I wasn't 30 yards from the tree and I see lights. It was dad on his way down thinking I shot a deer. I didn't see anything that afternoon.

Needless to say all of our ladders are now strapped to the trees.
2008 Vortex 200
Vari-zone Scope
150 Grain Boltcutters
NGSS
bobby2bears

Post by bobby2bears »

I can remember sitting up in my ladderstand located in an old Hemlock tree and the wind was really blowing and gusting very hard. As I looked around I began to notice all of the blowdowns that were around. All but one was a Hemlock......hmmmm. Next year it was relocated to a big old Oak!