moon and deer

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

old fart jim

moon and deer

Post by old fart jim »

:?: oh ye great and all knowing hunters, how many of you use the moon guide and hunt by it or do you think it is bunk. I've been watching it closely this year but the weather changes have really played havoc with it. so I've just been going when I get the chance. :?: :?:
time in the woods is time well spent
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

Jim I do take a look if you don't already use the navy chart.

All the deer I've shot over the past 15 years have been directly correlated to the moon transit. I work a lot and love to hunt so I needed to find a way to hunt see deer and bring them home. I raised my 3 son's on venison.

So I know these charts well and I also know that the transit time dose not go completely out the window with the rut, for bucks it will but doe's will still follow it. So a change in hunting technic is due. I will talk about that later if you like.

I use this chart, deer feed 4 times in a 24 hr period. 2 major feeds and 2 minor. The transit time is the time the deer will bed and is a major feed time. They will feed 3 hours prior to the transit time. Divide the clock into 4 segments. Check the transit time each day as it will shift usually by 1 hr.
So if the transit time for today is 6:50m this morning the deer would have been up around 4 AM and down around 7 AM, mid day hunt minor feeds are usually 2 hrs today will start around 11AM and the deer will bed around 1 PM The evening hunt will begin around 4 PM and end at dark or 8PM

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneDay.php
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

Last edited by fuzzy on Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

fuzzy wrote:Nice to see someone else who "understands" the moons transit and its effect on deer. There is no "hocus" here. Much to be learned. For those to proud to stoop so low...your loss :lol: . Good luck
I agree totally. Thanks MD for the info and link.
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
Missouri_Hunter

Post by Missouri_Hunter »

I had to buy a new watch because my old Timex finally bit the dust...

I found this very cool watch made by CASIO, its called the Pathfinder...it displays the sunset and sunrize for each day...plus you can scroll forward and see what they will be in the future...

And it displays the 4 main moon transits that affect feeding times....it has been pretty good about predicting deer activity...it cost me 40 bucks....I have used the moon charts for the last 5 years and have found them to be very accurate...

maybe 90 percent of the time....usually within 30 minutes of the predicted time...
John Rogers
Florissant, MO
US ARMY (Retired)
[img]http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af119/johnrogers59/HPIM0800.jpg[/img]

2006 Exocet 200, Max Zone Scope,
Groundpounder Mount, Steady Eddy
Gold Point Lazer II's, 100 gr. G5 Montecs
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

A while back there was a thread about this, I am a firm believer, also, I have the pathfinder watch and it is erie how accurate it is.

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... ght=tables
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Missouri_Hunter

Post by Missouri_Hunter »

To Pydpiper...We live on the outskirts of St Louis...our subdivision has mostly 3 to 5 acre wooded lots...we have lived there 20 years...the deer feed in very predictable places in our neighbors yard...we always drive home and look at the spots we always see them in....my daughter has gotten to the point that she says hey dad look at the deer, check your watch...it is usually right on the money, day or night...it is a very good predictor if the food source is consistant...
John Rogers
Florissant, MO
US ARMY (Retired)
[img]http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af119/johnrogers59/HPIM0800.jpg[/img]

2006 Exocet 200, Max Zone Scope,
Groundpounder Mount, Steady Eddy
Gold Point Lazer II's, 100 gr. G5 Montecs
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

Same here Jon in the DC area. It is true that neighborhood deer move to the transit but deer that are pressured will also move to the transit time but they tend to stick to the good cover and there hide outs durring the day light transit times.
peter p

Post by peter p »

Is there a lunar chart for Canada that shows the best times to hunt.
All the searches I do come up with lunar tables that you have to purchase.
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

Last edited by fuzzy on Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
wabi

Post by wabi »

There is a moon and it does have an effect on game movement, but so does the sun, the weather, the food supply, the terrain, the predators, etc.
It can't hurt to check the charts for predicted peak times, but those other factors can play havoc with your plans. :wink: :lol: :lol:
wabi
vaguru

Post by vaguru »

I'm agreeing with wabi. All of this stuff is nice, but the BEST time to hunt, is WHEN I can! If these other factors benefit me, that's a plus.
Gold Tip Pro Staff
Bohning Pro Staff
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Ive got a simple rule.. if the moon is up and you can see it, then deer are moving. Its been a full moon this week and as soon as the moon comes up, the deer start feeding. Its normally still in the sky untill 9am, which is great for morning hunting now.

deer do feed with the moon :lol:
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

wabi wrote:There is a moon and it does have an effect on game movement, but so does the sun, the weather, the food supply, the terrain, the predators, etc.
It can't hurt to check the charts for predicted peak times, but those other factors can play havoc with your plans. :wink: :lol: :lol:
Exactly. In an unpressured area, the moon may be a great predictor of game movement.

Where I hunt, I/people impact the game movement. Regardless of what is going on in the heavens above, they will move when moved.

DuckHunt
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

Last edited by fuzzy on Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.