Best way to uncock a loaded crossbow after your hunt?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

PAHUNTER

Best way to uncock a loaded crossbow after your hunt?

Post by PAHUNTER »

Without shooting it to unload? By yourself?
Thank you
Boo

Post by Boo »

With a rope cocker yes.
The Excalibur is a great resource, you should spend some time there. Especially the videos.
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/demo/l ... gory_id=47
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

Check out the Excalibur Rope Cocker Video. Bill T shows us how to cock and uncock with the rope cocker.
2008 Phoenix w/ Varizone Scope
FFF String (Boo string wannabee)
Groundpounder Mount
Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout RF
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Took me 3 months to work up enough nerve to try the rc method w/ my Emax, could not believe how much easier they go down vs up.

The rope sliding friction eats up a lot of the stored energy. Like anything else xbow related, it pays to double check everything prior to tripping the trigger.
"Eze 18:21"
gogo

Post by gogo »

I use the rope cocker to load and unload my bow. Very easy to do, I highly recomend it.
DanO

Post by DanO »

That one tip took alot of the anxiety out of hunting with my crossbow. I took one across the fingers when my gloved hand punched the trigger before I had a good hold on the string with both hands. Good thing there was snow around to kill the pain. The rope cocker trick is excellent but as Awshucks says check the setup to make sure.

Dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

ROPE cocker for sure.

But do yourself a favour & check & double check that you have removed the bolt first. If not you will have an issue!!
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
dutchhunter

unload safly

Post by dutchhunter »

this is a vry good idea and everyone should do it a few times at home first DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
Missouri_Hunter

Post by Missouri_Hunter »

I have watched the video...but I have not tried it for myself yet...I think I will practice tonight...just been shooting a field point into the ground...but I realize that it is also a good idea to be able to do it with the cocking rope... :oops:
John Rogers
Florissant, MO
US ARMY (Retired)
[img]http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af119/johnrogers59/HPIM0800.jpg[/img]

2006 Exocet 200, Max Zone Scope,
Groundpounder Mount, Steady Eddy
Gold Point Lazer II's, 100 gr. G5 Montecs
gogo

Post by gogo »

Just thought of it in ontario it is supposed to be against the law to have anything other then broadheads in your quiver during deer season. If that is true and I beleive it is rope cocker is the only way to go.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

gogo wrote:Just thought of it in ontario it is supposed to be against the law to have anything other then broadheads in your quiver during deer season. If that is true and I beleive it is rope cocker is the only way to go.
Definitely not true, I usually have a blunt with me too, more in season out there then just deer.
You can also carry two bows.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
lscha

Post by lscha »

I was afraid I didn't have the strength to to uncock the bow with the rope cocker until I saw Kath Troubridge at the Woods and Waters show. They were demonstrating the use of the rope cocker to many people and were letting everyone cock the bows and let them down after demonstrating the procedure. They were able to do this all day. It is so much easier than I imagined when done properly.

I don't think the compound crossbow dealers were letting people cock their bows. I didn't see anyplace for the dispatch of arrows in their limited concession space.
:D
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
Stosh

Post by Stosh »

Works with compounds also, Just a short piece of arrow shaft with flat nocks on both ends, I also make sure to triple check before pulling the trigger. I do not like making noise when leaving the woods so, It paid to learn this. Also if you use an arrow that is broken and it does not weigh enough, It will ruin something.
Happy hunting, Stosh
lscha

Post by lscha »

Stosh wrote:Works with compounds also, Just a short piece of arrow shaft with flat nocks on both ends, I also make sure to triple check before pulling the trigger. I do not like making noise when leaving the woods so, It paid to learn this. Also if you use an arrow that is broken and it does not weigh enough, It will ruin something.
Happy hunting, Stosh
That's interesting. Never heard that before. I learned something. On the TenPoints with Acudraw 50 is there a way? My husband would be interested in that. Also, would you have more to worry about in case of a hand slip (foot)?
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
FJB

Post by FJB »

Rope cocker all the way :D