Trixie's Double!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Cyclonic

Trixie's Double!!

Post by Cyclonic »

You won't believe this! Went to my Mom's to hunt Monday. Didn't go untill early afternoon, got into a tree I usually hunt from around 2:00. Pretty afternoon, low 70's, breezy. Pretty good deer sign all around, acorns still dropping. Birds everywhere, and lots of chipmunks.
Well I sat and dozed off and on for a while, then about 4:30 I figured I better pay attention. so I drank some water and had a snack, stood up and stretched a little. Not much was doing on the hill, then at about 6:15 I see a group of deer coming down the mountain. I see the big doe that has allways made things so hard for me in the past. She has a nervous streak a mile wide. Another big doe is with her along with a small buck.
I get ready as they approach, and watch as the old doe makes the others stay behind her. They walk right across my tracks, scratching along eating acorns. Just then the old girl makes a mistake, she stepped up out of the old logging road, and is broadside at about 27 yds.
I've got her in the scope and I squeeze, I see the arrow flash across the gap, and disappear right in the center of the ribcage, WHACK!! Off she goes, down the hill about 35 yds, and stops. She gets crazy legs, and goes down, 15 seconds at the most! I'm ecstatic!
The little buck ran back up the mountain and was gone, but, the other big doe just stood there, looking where the other doe ran off to. Then she started back eating acorns in the logging road! I watch her for a few minutes, and I could hear Trixie say, " There's another deer over there. If you can cock me, I think we can take her!" Well the deer isn't paying me any mind, so I stick my right leg straight out, put the stirrup on my foot, dig my rope out of my pocket, and get it on the string. All the while I'm keeping my eye on the deer so she doesn't bust me.
Well I get her cocked, get an arrow loaded and stand up. As if on cue, the other deer stepped up out of the logging road, but about 8 yds further from where the other deer had stood. Trixie comes up, and I take careful aim, and squeeze. Again the arrow leaps out and catches her perfectly, slighly quartering away, middle of the ribcage. She does a mule kick and takes off down the road! She ran out of sight, about 50 yds, and I hear her crash!
Wow!! My hands are shaking so bad, I can hardly get the pull up rope tied around Trixies stock! I let her down, settled down myself, and climbed on down the tree. Get my first arrow, lay it pointing towards the deer, and find my other arrow. I follow the blood 50 yds down the road, and it goes off to the right. I look down the hill and a deer gets up and runs off! What?!
I back off and go get the first deer back to my mother's house. My stepfather and I go back down with flashlights, and the deer is laying right there, 20 yds off of the logging road! That was another deer that ran off! Whew!
Come to find out this "doe" had testicles! Check the head, and there are two spikes about 1" long, covered in velvet! Strange, for such a big buck, to have tiny spikes, and in velvet yet. My stepfather looks at his teeth, and he appears to be at least 2 years old! What a day! Second day of the season, and take a double with my new bow! I am told that buck is called a "nubbin". There have been some strange bucks killed at her place in the past.
Home-Brewers Drink Better Beer!
Exomax
Vapor Trail Strings
Gold Tip Laser III's
Crimson Talon
Ogden's Outdoors
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations - Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
Sounds like plenty of excitement.
wabi
maple

Post by maple »

Congratulations Cyclonic,

You are off to a great start, or would that be a great finish?

Maple
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Now thats what I call having a good day! Congrats!!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
whateverworks

Post by whateverworks »

You made one fatal mistake though. Don't feel too bad about it, your a guy, and there's nothing in the manuals about it!! You shouldn't have kicked trixie out of the stand so quick. You should have cuddled first and told how much you love her and all that mushy stuff she wants to hear. Hope you don't get the cold shoulder next time, I'm not sayin,,,just,,sayin. :D
FJB

Post by FJB »

Trixie is the word!!! Congratulations once again, again! :D
saxman

Post by saxman »

Double congrats :D :D
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

:) Congrats on a great hunt. :)
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Cool ! .... Congrat's !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

Aw shucks I'm disappointed. :( Reading the "subject" I just assumed you got a double with one arrow. :lol:

Good for you!

Take care...