dissapointment with climber first time out

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

deer jamie

Post by deer jamie »

DARTONATOR wrote:Ok guys and gals ! I hope that I am not opening up a can of worms here but, climbers really do make a lot of noise. I have a hard time believing that everything in the bush does not know you are there. I normally set my tree stands up 4 weeks before opener and prune / clear a path to each one to not leave any scent at all going in.
I have hunted with good friend one morning who was using one and could hear him from 120 yards away trying to get up the tree. I dont even want to think about how far the deer were hearing this from. Just my thoughts ! Would love to hear about some other points of view. :roll:
:idea: Deer are courios craetures i find they seem to be attracted to noises sometimes??? Anyone else notice this. Now iam not saying hoot and holler but smashing brances ect just mimicks another animal trompin around. I do have some concerns in the morning when you can hear a fly fart :lol: that the rattle may carrie along ways. I just have to use common sencewhen choosing witch stand to hunt in on various days ( i have abround 15 diffent stands) (lots of options) for some people who are a 1 stand hunter i could c that spending top dollar on a good quality climber would be beneficail ,but for me who will use it 1 in 5 times i go out i will be choosy when using it :!:
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

gogo wrote:It pays to check everything then double check. Might save some grief
exactly.. I go over everything im hutning with way before season. Saves the headaches at the last minute
ch312

Post by ch312 »

DARTONATOR wrote:Ok guys and gals ! I hope that I am not opening up a can of worms here but, climbers really do make a lot of noise. I have a hard time believing that everything in the bush does not know you are there. I normally set my tree stands up 4 weeks before opener and prune / clear a path to each one to not leave any scent at all going in.
I have hunted with good friend one morning who was using one and could hear him from 120 yards away trying to get up the tree. I dont even want to think about how far the deer were hearing this from. Just my thoughts ! Would love to hear about some other points of view. :roll:
the sound you make climbing the tree is irrelevant providing you dont allow metal to bang on metal. raccoons fighting in a tree make more noise than a climbing treestand.

last year was my first season using a climber and a couple different times i saw deer within 45 minutes of climbing up 20ft and have had deer walk a couple yards from the tree i was in.
bucont

Post by bucont »

deer jamie wrote:
Mike P wrote:Jamie, can you tell us exactly what climber you are using?
i bought it from bucont he may know the manafactur.

I believe the stand is the early version to this one or one very simular.

http://www.huntingtreestands.net/amacke ... gs9u9mpr65

If have done a couple things in the past to keep the sound down.

I have left the stands in the woods many times, on the ground, covered with leaves ect to avoid any carry noise. I only carry in the seat to keep it dry.

Couple of other things I can suggest is a piece of foam on the steel piece that ties the top and bottom together while climbing.

If you must carry it in, get a couple of quick buckled straps to tie the stand together when it is folded up. I found that is the best way to carry it in.

I was also thinking about a couple of padded backpack staps to carry it in with but never got around to it.

With practise, you will get good at climbing with very little sound.

PM me and I will help you with anything I can.
Axiom SMF
Munch mount
MeadowBrooke Game Calls
LCCA
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Most all high end climbers moved away from a solid rear blade long ago. They now use either power belts (ie. lone wolf) or cables (ie. summit).

I will not use any climber with a solid rear blade as I feel they have a tendency to slip more easily on the surface of the tree. The cables and belts have a much greater coefficient of friction when compared to the solid rear blades. Just my opinion.
deer jamie

Post by deer jamie »

bucont wrote:
deer jamie wrote:
Mike P wrote:Jamie, can you tell us exactly what climber you are using?
i bought it from bucont he may know the manafactur.

I believe the stand is the early version to this one or one very simular.

http://www.huntingtreestands.net/amacke ... gs9u9mpr65

If have done a couple things in the past to keep the sound down.

I have left the stands in the woods many times, on the ground, covered with leaves ect to avoid any carry noise. I only carry in the seat to keep it dry.

Couple of other things I can suggest is a piece of foam on the steel piece that ties the top and bottom together while climbing.

If you must carry it in, get a couple of quick buckled straps to tie the stand together when it is folded up. I found that is the best way to carry it in.

I was also thinking about a couple of padded backpack staps to carry it in with but never got around to it.

With practise, you will get good at climbing with very little sound.

PM me and I will help you with anything I can.
yup thats pretty much the same stad :idea: ayony usinoe ofhese justmake sure teh wing nuts are tight so they dont loosen off when transporting :o
ch312

Post by ch312 »

looks like the easiest solution would be to use lock washers on those wing nuts and just keep a few spares wired to the stand or in your pack for when (not if :lol: ) you lose one.

ive made 2 mistakes so far with my climber. the first was climbing a slightly angled tree that was too narrow. the second was forgetting to tie my pull up rope to the bow before climbing :oops: you definitely learn what not to do very quickly when using a climber.
deer jamie

Post by deer jamie »

well i had a good experience last night with the climber its a little noisy when climbing but deer still came withen 75 yards i never saw them but new they were there . WHAT a pain in the ass carrying it through a corn field with my xbox i gota figure somthin out becaus that aint happen aain lol :wink:
northbaydude

Post by northbaydude »

I have started using a Summit 180 SSMax this year and i find it heavy to carry it to my location. Any comments? suggestions? i find it not too noisy to set up but it slips sometimes if there is not much bark on the tree.
Northbaydude
Looking for hunting groups and/or frineds in North Bay Ontario area
bucont

Post by bucont »

deer jamie wrote:well i had a good experience last night with the climber its a little noisy when climbing but deer still came withen 75 yards i never saw them but new they were there . WHAT a pain in the ass carrying it through a corn field with my xbox i gota figure somthin out becaus that aint happen aain lol :wink:
Leave the "xbox" at home, the tv and power cord must be a real pain as well. :D :D :D lol

I found an old backpack around here, you can the straps off it if you think it will help.

Good luck Jamie, I could not resist the xbox. :roll:
Last edited by bucont on Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Axiom SMF
Munch mount
MeadowBrooke Game Calls
LCCA
deer jamie

Post by deer jamie »

lol i sure set my self up for that one lol :lol: :lol: Iam going to attach a seatbelt strap to it. My fatherinlaw has it done with his and it seems to work good for him :!:
exomax
verizone
sts string
groundpounder
firebolts
bolt cutter