dissapointment with climber first time out

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

deer jamie

dissapointment with climber first time out

Post by deer jamie »

:(well i went out with my new climber treestand (older model) i got half way to wear i planed on hunting when i heard the stand ratteling alot . i looke dit over only to discover that one of the wing nuts had loosened off and the bolt fell out that attached the bracket around the tree. URG URG talk about a heated moment i almost left it in the bush lol. i left it and went on to wear i planed on going i sat behind a log for a bit relizing the wind was mnot favouring me i climbed up 15FEET in to a noch of a tree for a hr my legs and feet went numb so i left with utter dissapointment this was my only day to hunt and it was a floopp. Maybe better luck on monday :!:
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

get couple of those big turn knobs & put them on yer climber
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
8up

Post by 8up »

Buy a Summit and never have that problem again. Glad your safe
2008 Excalibur Vortex, Lumizone, STS
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
gogo

Post by gogo »

It pays to check everything then double check. Might save some grief
dutchhunter

climmer

Post by dutchhunter »

you should try them in your yard a few times before hunting with one DUTCh
addicted to canadian beaver
deer jamie

Post by deer jamie »

hopefuly it was a 1 time experience. I know now to tighten them befor i go out. I never tightened them thinking i will be untightening them in half hr lol big mistake , O and i did go out and buy some big wing nuts iam thinking the wing was hitting every branch and slowly turned off during my walk o well lesson learned :roll:
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Jamie, can you tell us exactly what climber you are using?
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

Last edited by fuzzy on Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

fuzzy wrote:By all means don't take any "extra" wing nuts with you into the field :shock:
Hahaha. I didn't want to say it.

I have some homemade portable stands that I made and it never fails, after 100 miles of vibrating in the back of the truck and a couple of miles of hiking in the highlands and when you get to the tree it's missing a wingnut. So I drilled extra holes and installed spare bolts and wingnuts and they can vibrate loose too. So now I just carry spares in my pocket. If someone wanted to become a millionaire they'd invent a wing-locknut. I know their only supposed to be used once but who here hasn't re-used a locknut? :roll:
2008 Phoenix w/ Varizone Scope
FFF String (Boo string wannabee)
Groundpounder Mount
Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout RF
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s
roly

Post by roly »

A bad day of huntin beats a good day of workin any time!

Next time will be better :)
Big D

Post by Big D »

I climbed a 100 times or more with the summit viper never had a problem this model is perfect for crossbows.
DARTONATOR

Post by DARTONATOR »

Ok guys and gals ! I hope that I am not opening up a can of worms here but, climbers really do make a lot of noise. I have a hard time believing that everything in the bush does not know you are there. I normally set my tree stands up 4 weeks before opener and prune / clear a path to each one to not leave any scent at all going in.
I have hunted with good friend one morning who was using one and could hear him from 120 yards away trying to get up the tree. I dont even want to think about how far the deer were hearing this from. Just my thoughts ! Would love to hear about some other points of view. :roll:
deer jamie

Post by deer jamie »

Mike P wrote:Jamie, can you tell us exactly what climber you are using?
i bought it from bucont he may know the manafactur.
deer jamie

Post by deer jamie »

fuzzy wrote:By all means don't take any "extra" wing nuts with you into the field :shock:
:lol: ya funny story i bought a pack of 6 that afternoon left a extra 2 at the back door on the table i picked them up then my little girl wanted a hug and kiss before i left so i put the extra ons back down :cry: and there they stayed while i was steamin in the bush lol :!: :idea: as soon as i got home i put them in my coat pocket :lol:
deer jamie

Post by deer jamie »

""""fool me once shame on you , fool me twicw shame on me"""" :lol: