blood tracking light?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

JOHNNY5

blood tracking light?

Post by JOHNNY5 »

WHO HAS ONE OF THESE AND HOW WELL DO THEY WORK?
I WAS LOOKING AT BUYING GERBERS MODEL FOR $80.00
AND RIGHT BESIDE IT WAS ONE FOR $20.00
I'M A FIRM BELEIVER IN YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR BUT NOT SURE IN THIS CASE????
2009 phoenix
VARIZONE SCOPE
FIREBOLTS
BOLTCUTTERS AND MUZZY BH
GROUNDPOUNDER
Adrian J Hare

Post by Adrian J Hare »

I own that light. Its great for light,and the best way it works in in the snow. Red lights up only its hard to see...
Ontario Hunting Lodge
http://z13.invisionfree.com/Ont_Hunting_Lodge/index.php?act=idx
IAMCANADIAN

Post by IAMCANADIAN »

I've night tracked somewhere around 100 animals....and tried every gimick, gadget, and "wonder product" out there claiming to make it easier....the absolute best blood tracking light is a good old fashioned coleman lantern, especially the napatha ones. The yellow cast from the light makes blood stand out better, and the difused 360 degree light enhances detail.

The only gadget that really ever worked well was a spray/UV light combo that made the blood glow.....but A: It's freaking expensive...especially when looking at buying/packing enough to do a 60-70 yard trail, and B: Your eyes need to be dark adjusted (no other lights), yet you need to find the inital trail with a regular light....just not worth it to me.
If you can't set a good example, at least serve as a horrible warning.
cholafxsti

Post by cholafxsti »

Sportsman guide has a blood tracking light that doubles as a white spot light. For the $26 it is very nice. I wouldn't have found my doe without it and it impressed my buddy who helped me track the deer he ordered one the next day. It was able to highlight a drop of blood on a leaf which told us the way she turned off the obvious trail. And it uses 4 AA batteries!
Chola
Ibex

Post by Ibex »

Coleman double mantle lanterns which burn liquid fuel give off a really bright light and may be the the best for tracking.

I use a Coleman propane double mantle lantern ( Christmas present) which works good for tracking but does not have as bright a light.

The Coleman lanterns work great for tracking because they give off a bright light which is even and spread out over a much wider area than flashlights. I have tracked deer down with blood drops the size of the "o" in this word "blood" using my propane Coleman lantern.

Fran
Ibex, 3X-32 Vortex crossbow scope, GT Laser II, 125 gr. Marden Mini Mag Steel broadheads, 4 deer so far
wabi

Post by wabi »

I guess everyone has their own set of eyes, and all are not the same. For me an LED flashlight like the Fenix L1T V2 works just fine. The blood tracking lights I've seen/tried were all less effective than the Fenix light for me.
wabi
Missouri_Hunter

Post by Missouri_Hunter »

I have a light made by PRIMOS called the Bloodhunter...It features 2 LED lights...1 red and 1 green...the switch turns on the red one or the green one or both....I have used it 2 or 3 times...I can't say for sure that it worked any better than a regular flashlight :?: ...

I have used an old coleman lantern also...the coleman does a good job...

the best thing I have found is using my 13 year old daughter as a tracker...she loves to help me and she has really sharp eyes (Oh to be young again) :D ....

I wish I would have trained my Jack Russell terrier to track deer, but he is 5 years old now...and you know what they say about old dogs...
Last edited by Missouri_Hunter on Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
John Rogers
Florissant, MO
US ARMY (Retired)
[img]http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af119/johnrogers59/HPIM0800.jpg[/img]

2006 Exocet 200, Max Zone Scope,
Groundpounder Mount, Steady Eddy
Gold Point Lazer II's, 100 gr. G5 Montecs
deer jamie

Post by deer jamie »

i bought 3 of them at the london surplus store a few months ago (GERBERS) 20$ each what a steal the same ones at CANADIAN TIRE for 80 i havent used them yet for blood tracking but when i turn on the red and blue led's it does make things look differnet . it makes bright colors brigheter it thnik!! :idea:
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

i think its just a peice of mind.. you buy it so you think it's better. Personally I use a small surefire LED light. Its bright enough to use as a spotlight but fits in the palm of my hand. When I say bright, I mean bright. I used it for firearms night training and it was unreal the sight picture. I had others asking to borrow my 6P LED light. I use the G5 for hunting which is the rubber version. I use to love Maglights untill I tried the sirefire lineup. The little surefires will run circles around the D cell Mag's

but a simple light works just as well for tracking I think
JOHNNY5

Post by JOHNNY5 »

I HAVE A COLEMAN DOUBLE MANTLE, FUEL BURNING LANTERN.
I'LL JUST HAVE TO KEEP IT HANDY.
I DO A LOT OF EVENING HUNTING AND I'M JUST THINKING AHEAD.
THANKS.
2009 phoenix
VARIZONE SCOPE
FIREBOLTS
BOLTCUTTERS AND MUZZY BH
GROUNDPOUNDER
fuel80guy

Post by fuel80guy »

I dont use the blood light,,,,i use my buddys basset hounds,,,works great.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

fuel80guy wrote:I dont use the blood light,,,,i use my buddys basset hounds,,,works great.
lol... cant beat a good nose with any light :lol: 8)
Linajane

Re: blood tracking light?

Post by Linajane »

I dont use the blood light,,,,i use my buddys basset hounds,,,works great.

cures for depression
cHEER'S'S'S
secret

Post by secret »

Try peroxide in a spray bottle! turns blood white easy to see on leaves!
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

A friend of mine gave me a new Blood tracking light from wal-mart and it does great here in the house with my own blood ...im diabetic and pricking my finger is no problem ...even on dryed blood its great but in the woods is another story(not tested yet). Bottom line if you have a good trail you dont need a tracking light,just a plain light