morning hunt late afternoon recovery??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

deer jamie

morning hunt late afternoon recovery??

Post by deer jamie »

Question :idea: i work 10 till 6 in sales iam thinking of doing some morning hunts till 8:30 aprox. What iam wondering if i shoot a deer say 7:30 am gut it (maybe) leave it in the bush go to work and retreive it aroud 7 pm. Should i have to worry about it going bad? I thought about caring a extra shirt to leave with my kill to leave some human sent to keep coyotees away any imput?? :?: :?
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Just depends on the temperature..

Hang it up and in the shade..
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
deer jamie

Post by deer jamie »

avg tems are 7-15 degrees now getting colder every day rainin A HELL OF ALOT aswell :( :cry: :evil:
jay73

Post by jay73 »

Jamie, I've read the rule of thumb is to let them hang in no more than 10 degrees C. If you can get it field dressed and hung in the shade like Woody says, at that temp, you will be good to go. Hanging it will keep the yotes away too.

Good luck,

Jay
deer jamie

Post by deer jamie »

lol i am management go figure but iam a one man show i supose i could open a little late if need be to field dress but thats about it. I may just wait a few weeks befor i do the mornin thing to insure the temps are low enough. Or maybe take all gut shots :lol: :idea: come back 10-12 hrs
KIDDING ONLY but it would help keepem fresh lol, a little on the crule side!!!
dutchhunter

deer down

Post by dutchhunter »

is there no way you could call a buddy to recover your deer after you have taged it and left for work DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
DirtyGun

Post by DirtyGun »

I'd be one that would set a time in the morning after which I absolutely, positively could not shoot anything, just in case I wasn't able to put the time in to properly track, field dress and transport the animal to the location at which it will be processed.

It's one thing to set a time for when you have to leave in order to get to work. It's another to set a time that would allow you time to allow the animal to expire respectfully, field dress it, drag it out, transport it and still get to work on time.

Make yourself walk out earlier on days that you're working. You'll absolutely hate yourself if you put an arrow through a buck of a lifetime, but have to leave for work 20 minutes later, which won't allow enough time for the animal to expire respectfully (unless you made one heck of a shot) and won't allow you time to field dress it, let alone drag it out. You'll either be jumping that buck up again after he has bedded down to die due to your impatience or you may be leaving him out in the sun all day because you weren't able to recover him.

I'm not trying to be critical, but I'm just offering some food for thought. As was said, sometimes it's just better to leave early or let them walk. It's really not worth it to push time limitations, out of respect for the animal.
peter p

Post by peter p »

Gut it and hang it and it will be fine. Put a stick between the rib cage to keep the chest cavity open so heat can escape.
Leave a coat or a shirt to keep coyotes away or hang it as high as possible.
Deer hang longer than that at hunt camps with warmer temps and don't go bad.
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

planter wrote:Can you call a bud to haul it out for you??Thats what friends are for. :wink:
LOL with my bad back I will have to remember this!!!!! I just phone in sick. Oh ya I own the company. My workers never accuse me of sitting in a bar when I am not around! hehehe Got four jobs on the phone in my stand the last time deer hunting. :) :)