Another Ohio buck

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

Another Ohio buck

Post by wabi »

A hunter I know here in southern Ohio got this pic on his trail cam Monday evening. I do not know the exact location the cam was at, and I doubt if he'll tell me. :wink: :lol: :lol:
It wouldn't be too hard for me to decide whether to shoot, or to let him grow for another year. :shock:

wabi
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

The pic should 150 alone :lol:

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
DARTONATOR

Post by DARTONATOR »

What a beauty ! Man, not sure what his brow tines look like but his G1, G2 and G3'S have all got to go over 13 inches. True trophy !
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

one more year, just one.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Kenton wrote:one more year, just one.
You hit the nail on the head there Kenton, that is not an old buck, he looks to be a three year old judging from his chest and his gut.

That buck has some very serious potential! Don't get me wrong, he is a fantastic buck right now and anyone would be justified in taking him out. It is just that when I see a buck that good at that tender young age it makes me think he could be a record breaker if he survives another year.

Thanks for sharing that with us wabi!

Seeing bucks like that on trail cams is like viewing antler p o r n.
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

Sure wish I could get back to Jackson county again this year. Maybe if I hit the lottery. :lol:
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

I had to pass up hunting where Muskingum, Coshocton, and Guersey meet this morning because my shoulder is hurting. Lots of deer in that area.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
huntman

Post by huntman »

You gotta be kidding!!! :!: :?:
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Looks a little front heavy. :lol:

I`d take him in a heartbeat.... if my heart was still beating after seeing him!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

that deer should go in the 170's easy.. tall tines will add up fast!

he's a shooter this year, but if he makes it and someone gets him next year LOOKOUT... 180 inch typical!
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

huntman wrote:
You gotta be kidding!!! :!: :?:
not really huntman. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't criticize anyone for taking this buck but like Mike P said, his is still immature. Look at this buck's belly, dosen't sag at all (granted he is a little streched out). Look at the antler mass, for a rack that size, the mass is sub-par. He is a world class 3 1/2 year old, but he is only 3 1/2. This is the type of buck that can rewrite the books if allowed to grow older. Remember, typically mass is the last thing a buck puts on his rack and when this one does: WATCH OUT!
huntman

Post by huntman »

Point well taken Kenton. But i just feel that too many things could go against not harvesting this guy the longer he lives. Another hunter, or just plain and simple the huge factor of being hit by a car. I understand what both Mike P and yourself are trying to say. I just feel if this guy came infront of you, you would be foolish to let him walk. Just my 2 cents not trying to say my way is better then yours. To each their own!
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

I agree with you completely, huntman. Anyone would be foolish to pass a buck like that, but maybe that's what it takes harvest world class whitetail. I have never had to pass up a deer that size that age. I'm not entirely sure I could, but I hope I would.
hunter7558

Post by hunter7558 »

THE ONLY WAY I PASS ON THIS BIG BOY IS IF THE DEER FOLLOWING HIM IS BIGGER! :shock: :D
WISH I COULD SHOOT A DEER SOMEDAY!
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Kenton wrote:I'm not entirely sure I could, but I hope I would.
I am willing to bet you would. Those of us that are blessed to live and hunt in the land of book bucks have probably been exposed to a buck bigger then this guy.

I watched a 200 inch buck feed in a white oak grove fifty yards from my stand for half an hour in October of 2001. I have never been the same since.

I know for a fact that Fred has witnessed a 200 inch buck on the hoof as well. And like me, I am pretty certain he has never been the same.

So fess up Kenton, you have seen a bigger buck then this one haven't you!:D

What we have to be aware of is the view we present to our fellow forum members. The vast majority of those that visit here will never see a buck like the one in the photo above on the hoof. They just do not exist where they hunt. That buck is the buck of a lifetime to them. I had to learn this lesson the hard way. Saxman is the one who taught it to me.

For many here it is easy to view us as elitists due to our attitude regarding bucks and what we would and would not harvest. It is also hard for them to subscribe to the "let the little ones walk" philosophy we so often preach. That "little one" may be the only buck they see all season. And yes there are many that do not give a hoot about antlers and only look at the animal as meat. (But I doubt they would discard a ten point rack with the bones from the butchered carcass.)lol: Yes, we are blessed to live and hunt in the land of the monsters. But we must always be able to hunt a mile in the boots of our fellow forum members who are not so blessed.

And by the same token, you forum members in the land of the munchkin deer must make an effort to understand we forum members who scoff at 130 inch bucks due to where we live and hunt. I and others here have the opportunity to harvest those bucks fairly often, especially during the rut. The wall of bucks at the Ohio Deer & Turkey Expo proves the point. Bucks measuring 140 inches don't even get a sniff. And it is getting to the point that 160 inch bucks no longer make you take much notice as you walk down the aisle!

The best way to give a grade on how good a buck scores is to grade on the curve. Inches should be assigned to a buck before the first measurement of his rack is taken. Kind of like a handicap system.

In the case of saxman, he gets 125 inches to start. Then his bucks rack measurements are added to the 125.

See how tough it is for him to harvest a 140 under this system. :lol: :lol: