team Buckeyes finally scores

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

team Buckeyes finally scores

Post by wabi »

Well, I finally got a chance to fill an antlerless tag for some fresh meat this morning. An overcast morning with just a hint of mist in the air following a day of hard rains, so I decided to set in the ground blind near the feeder in case it decided to rain some more. :shock:
As usual I was watching the squirrels and birds at the feeder when I noticed a blob of brown that wasn't there a minute before at the edge of the food plot. An antlerless deer was slowly making it's way into the food plot so I grabbed the binoculars to make sure it wasn't the button buck that has been hitting the feeder every morning. It wasn't him!!! I picked up the Phoenix and waited for her to move into a good shooting position. She slowly circled (they always take what seems like hours) and finally came within the mowed portion of the food plot that I had bushhoged to mark the distance of 30 yards from the blind. When she started toward the feeder I started watching (aiming) through the scope. She was broadside at that point, and when she stopped walking I pushed the safety off and squeezed the trigger and heard the familiar THUMP of a good hit. I watched as she ran off and than slowed and stood on the tractor path at a distance of about 60 yards from the blind. In a minute she had the "rubber legs" reaction and fell right there. I watched for a minute to make sure she was down then I turned on the cell phone and called the landowner to have him bring the John Deere with the new carrier he made this summer. He was gracious enough to comply, and even snapped a few pics before helping me field dress her (while he was muttering something about, "one less damned bean eater" :lol: :lol: ). Guess he holds a grudge from all the raids on his garden. :roll:

She was a yearling doe (had never nursed a fawn) and should provide us with some delicious meals. Right now she's in my buddy's, (the meat processor) cooler and we will do the butchering tomorrow. (some payback for the hours I spent under his house replacing drain lines this summer - nothing like getting even)

I didn't clean off the blood before the pic because I wanted the entry wound to show. Those Wac'Em Exit (4-blade replacable fixed blade) broadheads have done a good job for me so far. The hit was just a little high, but took out both lungs easily. I'm sighted in for 25 yards and have gone to holding 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of the deer on all shots under 30 yards. The arrow entered right where it should have with that method, a tad high, but still in the "kill zone". The shot ended up being 15 yards, but once she came within the 30 yard markers I have out she was fair game, and I wasn't concentrating on figuring out exact yardage, just on getting a good shot angle. :wink:

wabi
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

Congratulations on a fine eating doe.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Congrats!

That entry hole looks more like an EXIT! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
wabi

Post by wabi »

That's the entry, but the exit looks about the same. 8)

I mentioned the carrier for the tractor - I also snapped a pic of the difficult task of loading the deer into the pickup truck..........
well, it used to be difficult! :wink: :lol: :lol:

wabi
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Wabi - that`s awesome! I`d almost call it cheating, but just because I`d be jealous. :lol:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

congrats man.. i cant get a doe close enough to shoot even if I wanted to. Just small bucks here :cry:
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

Congratulations Nice deer
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

alright wabi, congrats.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

Way to go!
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

A big congrats on the doe wabi.

Letting that little buck walk feels better now I bet.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Congratulations Wabi!
saxman

Post by saxman »

Nice Doe Wabi :D
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

congrats on yer freezer Doe
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
wabi

Post by wabi »

Mike P wrote:A big congrats on the doe wabi.

Letting that little buck walk feels better now I bet.
Thanks for the congratulations everyone!!!!!!!!

Mike P - no regrets for letting that buck walk (so far). He was the right age for good eating, but I really wanted a doe for the freezer (actually the canner this time).
Now the pressure is off and I can take my time and enjoy watching them as the rut activity approaches. The trend and indications so far lead me to believe this may be a cooler winter (at least not warm today and downright hot tomorrow :roll:) and the rut may be one where they can stand to move during daylight hours.
wabi
snapperdan

Post by snapperdan »

Congrats on a nice deer!!!!
exocet 200
equinox
ground pounder mounts
bar 338 win mag
browning auto 5