GOT SHINGLES!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Real McCoy

GOT SHINGLES!

Post by Real McCoy »

The season opened in my little part of northwest Louisiana and shortly afterward the shingles appeared (not the kind you put on the roof). They cover the left portion of my chest, upper part of my left arm and upper portion of my back. They hurt like heck, as those who have had them well know, and those who don't, well I pray that you never find out.

Wife went to town to find the largest t-shirts possible, only three places to look in our little town so she wasn't gone long. Wanted to run around without a shirt but she said that wasn't going to happen. I tried to tell myself there could be only one reason, I still had it, but the reflection of my 68 year old body covered in shingles easily convinced me that wasn't the case.

This was to be my first season with my new Excal. At least it is a long season but anxious, waiting and shingles are not a good mix. To make things worse it is cool, rainy and foggy, that's when I really like to be in the woods. But for now I look out the window, thumb through my Bass Pro flyers, Cablea"s catalog and read the exploits of those on the forum.

Keep the posts coming, they make me smile and that doesn't make the little buggers hurt - at least not yet.
Southern Born and Bred
Exomax
Varizone
Groundpounder

A man who is good enough to shed his blood
for his country is good enough to be given a
square deal afterwards - Teddy Roosevelt
saxman

Post by saxman »

I have had them.
Hope you get better real soon :D
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Missouri_Hunter

Post by Missouri_Hunter »

I feel your pain...I had them last fall...I had about a half dozen little red spots on my side, just below my armpit...at first I thought I had been bit by a spider, but the doctor said it was shingles...I must have had a mild case and they were only painful for a few days ...I think I was lucky we diagnosed them quickly and the doctor had the right medicine...they took several months to finally go away...take it easy...
Last edited by Missouri_Hunter on Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Rogers
Florissant, MO
US ARMY (Retired)
[img]http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af119/johnrogers59/HPIM0800.jpg[/img]

2006 Exocet 200, Max Zone Scope,
Groundpounder Mount, Steady Eddy
Gold Point Lazer II's, 100 gr. G5 Montecs
kmtpr

Post by kmtpr »

Sorry to hear this and hope it will clear up ASAP and allow you to get out there with your Excal, before too long. Good luck to you.
Am a non-hunting woman who supports hunting and crossbows!

I rather be hated for standing up for what I believe in, than be popular by going against my beliefs.

NRA Golden Eagles & ILA, NJOA
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Advise you rest and rest and rest.
My friend had them and he didn't rest and ended up on his back for three weeks.

Wishing you well

Dereck
Tenpoint Matrix
bill morrison

Post by bill morrison »

go to your doctor and get treatment, friend of mine was going to tuff it out....sufferd with them for about 3 months all told. i think they are treated with antibiotics, but not absolutely sure.
Real McCoy

Post by Real McCoy »

Mizzo Hunter - Just like you I had a couple of red spots pop up but had been cutting grass and brush and I too thought they were spider bites. When I went to Dr he said 72 hours had passed and meds would do no good. Wrote a prescription for some $200 pads but passed on that.

Mostly blisters now and the chest, which was first to break out seems to be getting better. Took some ibuprofen for the first time this morning and that seemed to help or they are getting better or both, who knows. Nothing to mess with that's for sure but think I may be on the down hill side.
Southern Born and Bred
Exomax
Varizone
Groundpounder

A man who is good enough to shed his blood
for his country is good enough to be given a
square deal afterwards - Teddy Roosevelt
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

Chicken pox virus is the cause. Once you have had chicken pox, the virus lies dormant in your nervous system for the rest of your life. Weakened immune systems, getting tired, or even having a lot of anxiety or stress can cause them to reappear. The Dr. can prescribe an anti-viral medicine, but....you must specifically ask them to do so as they don't like to do that. The reason is, I guess, is because it comes with side effects.

Get some rest and get rid of any stressful situations, lots of fluids and eat well. Normal things- NO STRESS, and they are self limiting and you will be fit as a fiddle and back out there. Good luck.
Just an over informed newbie with a misinformation spreading disorder- and a Vortex
Fred

Post by Fred »

My wife had them and still does a year later they attacked a nerve in her side the doctor gave me a shingles shot I couldn't remember ever having chicken pox but after seeing what they can do I got it anyway as many as you seem to have don't look for it to be an easy quick time good luck
Bambiblaster

Post by Bambiblaster »

I got them in the rare place , top of head and right eye brow,,, now those really suck
EXCAL VORTEX
S5
VARI-ZONE
LUMINOCK FIREBOLTS
CROSS TRICKS
WYVERN QUIVER MOUNT
Treelimb 3-Arrow Quiver
Bob1961 Red Cocking Rope
bill morrison

Post by bill morrison »

i stand corrected by my wife(an rn) they are viral as another post pointed out and the treatment is an anti viral drug not antibiotic as i thought. she also said get treatment asap. hope you get better soon.
Chuck Gravel

Post by Chuck Gravel »

Bambiblaster thats weird that you said that, I got shingles in the exact same place but I was only 17 when i got them, they said it was from stress.
Excalibur Equinox
Lumi-Zone
Viper-X- Strings
NGSS (newguy)
vortex pro extreme 125
Crispy

Post by Crispy »

Get well soon!
Bambiblaster

Post by Bambiblaster »

Chuck Gravel wrote:Bambiblaster thats weird that you said that, I got shingles in the exact same place but I was only 17 when i got them, they said it was from stress.

Yeah that what the Doc told me , work was real stressfull at the time. 6 12hr days / 200 miles of driving a day just took its toll and weakened the system for it to taje ahold
EXCAL VORTEX
S5
VARI-ZONE
LUMINOCK FIREBOLTS
CROSS TRICKS
WYVERN QUIVER MOUNT
Treelimb 3-Arrow Quiver
Bob1961 Red Cocking Rope