Missed....

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Petersen

Missed....

Post by Petersen »

Finally had a chance at my first x-bow deer this morning. Only in the stand for an hour, when a small buck appeared on the trail. I passed up a lot of deer last year, waiting for the big one and came up empty at the end of the bow season. I wasn't going to let that happen again this year. He got to 20 yards, stopped and turned broadside and fed on some raspberry leaves along the trail. Another 10 yards, and he would be in the clear, but despite my better judgment, I decided I could squeeze a shot between a pair of branches :oops: . Well I was wrong. Buck took off like a bat out of hell. Long story short....never found my arrow, or any blood for that matter. He ran over to my hunting partner, and stopped behind a large oak (no blood there either), then walked off. Just out of range for him to take a shot......Lesson learned......fight off the excitement, and make a better judgment call next time! :?

Question: If a deer is hit, will it bleed right away? I followed the tracks for 400-500 yards (sometimes on hands and knees) and no blood. I would feel sick, if I thought I wounded one.
Wouldn't be hunting...if you got them all the time!
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Now that you have the excitement out of the way, it's time to shoot a deer! :)

If you are shooting from the ground, then you can have a fatal hit and not see any blood on the ground before you see the deer on the ground. If you are in a tree, then there is a much better chance of getting an immediate blood trail unless you missed completely or hit way high. Sounds to me like you hit a limb and deflected far and away.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
vortex

Post by vortex »

New to xbow and hunt from the ground
sumner4991 wrote:
If you are shooting from the ground, then you can have a fatal hit and not see any blood on the ground before you see the deer on the ground. If you are in a tree, then there is a much better chance of getting an immediate blood trail unless you missed completely or hit way high.
WHY ?
Excalibur Vortex
Vari-Zone Scope
OFAH Member
www.wildcam.ca
www.excaliburcrossbow.com
www.ontariooutofdoors.com
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Sorry you missed!

Don't feel bad ... everyone does sometimes.

There is no such thing as a predator that's always successful.

Now, go get one! :D
Grizz
vortex

Post by vortex »

bstout wrote: It's easier to get a low in the body exit wound from a treestand that makes deer leak all over the place.
never thought of that :oops:
Excalibur Vortex
Vari-Zone Scope
OFAH Member
www.wildcam.ca
www.excaliburcrossbow.com
www.ontariooutofdoors.com
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

vortex wrote:
bstout wrote: It's easier to get a low in the body exit wound from a treestand that makes deer leak all over the place.
never thought of that :oops:
It's like an instant down spout when angled out of a tree.

Petersen . . .Where you in a tree? If so, then you should be able to find the arrow unless it deflected hard. Check out the limbs that were in the way . . .I cut a nice size limb in half a couple of years ago . . .oh yeah, and missed. :( It happens and there are clues left behind. Try finding the arrow. Good luck.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Sopchoppy

ground shooting

Post by Sopchoppy »

bstout wrote:
vortex wrote:New to xbow and hunt from the ground
sumner4991 wrote:
If you are shooting from the ground, then you can have a fatal hit and not see any blood on the ground before you see the deer on the ground. If you are in a tree, then there is a much better chance of getting an immediate blood trail unless you missed completely or hit way high.
WHY ?
It's easier to get a low in the body exit wound from a treestand that makes deer leak all over the place.
Had this happen last year. Double lunged a doe from the ground and I was on hands and knees following the droplets of blood. She never did bleed much until she fell, it was all inside.
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone
saxman

Post by saxman »

sumner4991 wrote:Now that you have the excitement out of the way, it's time to shoot a deer! :)

If you are shooting from the ground, then you can have a fatal hit and not see any blood on the ground before you see the deer on the ground. If you are in a tree, then there is a much better chance of getting an immediate blood trail unless you missed completely or hit way high. Sounds to me like you hit a limb and deflected far and away.
I have noticed little to no blood trail from time to time hunting mostly out of ground blinds.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Petersen

Post by Petersen »

I was in a tree stand......18ft up. We looked for 30min for the arrow 20-30yrds all around.

My cousin watched him after I shot, for 2-3min standing behind a tree, but couldn't get a shot himself. He unfotunatly couldn't see the side of the deer that I shot at. He could see the opposite side, no blood etc. We checked all around the area where he stood, no blood there either. My cousin said he just walked out from behind the tree and walked down the path.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

if you didn't find no blood after 400 yds the deer wasn't hit. if hunting from the ground aim lower third of deer chest
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Fun game eh ! ... You'll get him next time Court .

PS : hows your dad doing with his Custom Exomag ?
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
Petersen

Post by Petersen »

He hasn't been out yet. He just got back from sask. and has been busy with the birds around here. He had a lot of clients with itchy triggerfingers waiting for him when he got home. Beautiful bow though, must weigh half of what mine does.