What should we do with the empty shotgun shells

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xhunter

What should we do with the empty shotgun shells

Post by xhunter »

Hi All

I am a new hunter.

Went duck hunt last weekend. Although we didn't get much, but we had lots of fun.

After shooting. What should we do with the empty shotgun shells?

My partner said: Just leave alone.

I picked them up anyway. Put them in the garbage bin at home.

Thought this is the correct thing to do.

x
X - FOR XBOW
Vladymere

Post by Vladymere »

X,

Youd did the proper thing bringing your trash (shotgun shells) home with you. Your hunting partnere is wrong to befoul your hunting area.

Vlad
Bill T

Post by Bill T »

Darned right! Littering is littering and I always try to get my shells and trash em at home. That said, if they float away I don't lose sleep cause you'd spend all day wading around in loon crap if you got too anal about it.
hawg hunter

shotgun shells

Post by hawg hunter »

Pick them up either trashum or reload them
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

You made a good decision. Most guys will let them lay. I pick them up to reload or give them to someone that needs hulls to reload. I hate when swamp hunting to find a spot where someone stood and left every piece of crap including the spam sink.
dutchhunter

shot shells

Post by dutchhunter »

you could cut them in two and recycle the plastic .and keep the brass ends untill you get a pail full .then take them to the scrap yard .i just throw them in the trash DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
mikej

Post by mikej »

i pick them all up and reload everything shotgun and rifle the only ones not worth reloading are 22 but i always make sure to pick them up and dispose of them properly
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
ninepointer

Re: What should we do with the empty shotgun shells

Post by ninepointer »

xhunter wrote:I picked them up anyway. Put them in the garbage bin at home.

Thought this is the correct thing to do.

x
Good on you! :)

I remember years ago setting up in the pre-dawn darkness in a remote northern Ontario beaver pond. The rising sun revealed the place littered with shells. I filled my knapsack with the empties!!! :x Whenever I spot a shell, new or old, in the woods or marsh, I'll pick it up and put it in my pocket.

I don't reload, but I hang onto my fresh empties and try pass them along to shooters who do. Reloaders can be fussy on the kinds of shells they like to use, so a lot of my empties end up in the trash.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

I always pick up all shells, shotgun shells go in garbage and rifle shells go into coffee cans to despose of but I hang on to them for people who reload.
Rich

Post by Rich »

You did the right thing, in fact I'll pick up others empties (and other trash) also and throw it away. Slob hunters are the ones that ruin it for everyone.

Rich
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Im glad you picked them up..Its good respect for the next hunt as well. AND those ducks can see them bright brass caseings and the colors well.. so after they have been shot at a bit they will key on those things and flare off......you did good picking them up... I hunt a place that others do as well. I hate it when I come in after someone else and find trash, shells and junk they should have picked up...good job..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

You did the right thing. What was/is the reasoning of the other shooters as to why they shouldn't be picked up?

Take care...
DirtyGun

Post by DirtyGun »

Always leave an area exactly as you found it...that's the best strategy and the most ethical one.
bbbwb

Empty Shotgun Shells

Post by bbbwb »

You are to be commended for your decision to pick up. Thanks on behalf of everyone. It probably shows up some of the "anti groups"as well.

bbbwb
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

The rule should be - If you carry it in, carry it out.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]