Question for you morning hunters

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ninepointer

Question for you morning hunters

Post by ninepointer »

I don't hunt mornings a lot. Its not the waking up part that's the problem. In fact I'm a bit of an early bird.

My problem is getting into my stand locations with disturbing deer that are likely in their feeding areas. The farms I hunt are typical of most: farm house and ag buildings near the road, crop fields behind and around the buildings and woodlot at the far back. I just can't get to the woodlots without travelling past the crop fields where the deer might be feeding.

Any suggestions?
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
DirtyGun

Post by DirtyGun »

Here's a great article that touches on morning hunts:

http://www.northamericanwhitetail.com/h ... 0803early/

I have found in my experience that the experiences of the author are very true.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

i love hunting in the mornings. if you think or have bumped deer going in. then go in half an hr earlier, be up yer tree in stand or blind before it gets light. i have no fields no crops with-in 2-3 miles they were harvested a month ago. no beans no corn no wheat nothing but woods & acorns. i trail watch if i ever find a trail in these rocks!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

I am allways in my stand a half hour before daybreak, You will be surprised the noises you will hear that half hour of dark before daylight :lol: Have allways had very good luck in the morning :wink:
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
killshot

Post by killshot »

Same here I am in my stand and ready 1/2 to 3/4 hour before legal hunt time. It great hearing the woods wake up.
2008 Vortex 200
Vari-zone Scope
150 Grain Boltcutters
NGSS
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

I enjoy both morning and evening hunts and consider both to be equally productive. I will sometimes have/use different stands for each, but will sometimes hunt the same stand in the am and pm if that area is very active and the conditions are right. The issue is putting yourself where the deer "will be", and doing it undetected. Local knowledge, scouting, checking tracks and trails, using trail cameras, etc. are all effective methods of patterning the deer. Use that info to put yourself in the right spot at the right time.

Mentioned in the NAW magazine article is the importance of entry and exit from your hunting area. Very important! Sometimes it is impossible to get all of the factors in your favor, but work to get as many as is possible in your favor, but don't hunt any stand if the wind is wrong.

My personal experience is that I have seen deer in the pre-dawn time when I am walking to my stand, they move or run off, then later come back by. It does not seem to be any big deal to them that me or any other critter is passing thru their area. I have also watched deer near me, heard another deer start blowing and snorting somewhere off in the distance, and the deer near me didn't pay much attention to the commotion of the other. I suspect this happens all of the time day and night. When I am going to a stand, I walk along steadily, and go straight to the stand and climb up just like a big old coon. I think this steady pace is much less threatening to any deer that sees me. If I or some other predator is sneaking along steathfully, I think it causes more concern and the deer are likely to vacate the area. Something else to consider is the deer that you see at 8 am may have been a mile away when you are walking to your stand an hour or two earlier.

I like the morning hunts and will never give them up. I have seen and taken too many good bucks in the early morning hours and really enjoy those hunts. Hunting is all about being in the outdoors and doing what you enjoy. Hunt when you want to and enjoy the experience.

Dave
TNXBow

Post by TNXBow »

I have had better success in the mornings. I generally set up 30 minutes before legal hunting time to make sure everything is settled down. I hunt ridges in the mornings. That seems to work the best for me. The main thing is to find an approach that works for you!
perrysbirds

Post by perrysbirds »

I have only killed a few deer and all of them have been morning hunts!
Be in to your hunting spot 30 mins before daylight and you should be fine!
I love the mornings and nothing scares me! :D
If im not out shooting deer.
Im home drinking beer!
2007 exomax
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

I should have added that when I do hunt in the morning, I am set up and settled in complete darkness, usually 30-45 minutes before legal shooting time. Also, once I'm nearing the woods, I make frequent pauses on my way to my stand, rather than a steady walk. I feel it makes me sound more like another animal rather than a human.

So, if I understanding what I'm reading, I should go in stealthily and early, but not worry too much if I bump deer in the darkness?
huntfishfam

Post by huntfishfam »

I personally like to be in my stand at least an hour before legal shooting, it lets the woods settle a bit and if I do bump deer, unless the blow and run, they might come back.
Sean
I hunt,I fish,I am
Get clean, lean and healthy with isagenix. I can show you how.
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Dave1 has said all that needs to be said. I Totally AGREE!
deerhunter430

Post by deerhunter430 »

dick195252 wrote:I am allways in my stand a half hour before daybreak, You will be surprised the noises you will hear that half hour of dark before daylight :lol: Have allways had very good luck in the morning :wink:
I agree 100 percent!!!
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Hearing the woods "wake up" is one the coolest things I have experienced. I say if you have never done it then it may be worth a try, if not just for the hunting, do it just for the sake of trying it.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

I have a 75 yard walk from my backdoor to my tree stand, Life is Great :)
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

I have to admit that those times when I've shot deer in the morning, its a HUGE worry off my shoulders to have the luxury of tracking in daylight.