$50,000 reward for info into hunter's death

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ninepointer

$50,000 reward for info into hunter's death

Post by ninepointer »

This happened last deer season and its still not solved. From the sounds of the article, there's somebody out there bearing a heavy burden on their conscience. I hope they do the right thing and come forward. Here's the link:
http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/A...aspx?e=2120771
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
fuel80guy

Post by fuel80guy »

the link isnt working
philman

Post by philman »

Thats the first time I have heard of this. This is terrible news, I hope they find out what happend for the families sake.
SPITFIRE

Post by SPITFIRE »

As I don't know the whole story , it is very possible the shooter doesn't even know "HE" shot someone. He could have shot at a deer and new he missed and went on his way. With out knowing the whole story it's hard to say what happened. JMO. A tragety anyway. My heart goes out to the family.

DAN
I am a hunter and proud of it.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Wasn't there a love triangle story to go with this?? I thought a cop was supposed to be involved(the shooter).
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
deer jamie

Post by deer jamie »

SPITFIRE wrote:As I don't know the whole story , it is very possible the shooter doesn't even know "HE" shot someone. He could have shot at a deer and new he missed and went on his way. With out knowing the whole story it's hard to say what happened. JMO. A tragety anyway. My heart goes out to the family.

IF you take a shoot at somthin any senciple person would go over the the shot site and investigate to see if there is blood?? :roll: :? i generally hit my flash light every 100 yards when im in the bush in the dark as a percaotion i dont flash it all around just a quick flicker on the ground infrfront of me . Maybe it could potenmtialy scarea deer in the distance but maybe it could save ur life . Just a percaution i take :idea:

DAN
exomax
verizone
sts string
groundpounder
firebolts
bolt cutter
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

SPITFIRE wrote:As I don't know the whole story , it is very possible the shooter doesn't even know "HE" shot someone. He could have shot at a deer and new he missed and went on his way.
DAN
That is a possiblilty. However, in another media article the police were quoted as saying that, given the nature of the location, they think its likely that whoever fire the shot knows what a person was struck.
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

Hunter's shooting thought to be an accident
DEATH: $50K reward expected to be pledged
Posted By FROM SUN MEDIA
Posted 6 hours ago

The Ontario government is expected to announce today a $50,000 reward for information leading to an arrest and conviction in the case of a St. Catharines hunter shot and killed last year.

Derrick (Roy) Thompson, 42, died Nov. 14, 2008, of a single gunshot wound while hunting in Tyendinaga Township in eastern Ontario.

Ontario Provincial Police say suicide was ruled out, but investigators have stopped short of calling it a murder investigation.

"We believe it to be an accidental shooting," said Det. Const. Tracy Acres, the case's lead investigator.

In an interview Tuesday in the Napanee OPP detachment, she and Sgt. Kristine Rae said they continue to receive tips, and it's hoped the relatively rare reward will help close the case.

Rae said such a reward is reserved for "something that's extreme that really needs to be solved."

It is only the second reward of its kind offered this year in the OPP's eastern region; the other is also for information in a death investigation.

Thompson was from the greater Belleville area, but lived in St. Catharines. He was married with two adult stepdaughters. He owned a home construction and renovation business in St. Catharines.

Sometime between about 6 a. m. and 6:30 a. m. Nov. 14, 2008, Thompson got dressed in a camouflage outfit beneath a blaze-orange vest and hat.

He then left the house he and his wife, Elaine Thompson, kept for their trips back to the area.

Police said Thompson headed into the woods, likely alone into an area he knew well.

Thompson was in an open deer run -- a relatively clear path flanked by hardwood trees -- where he was shot. Investigators have determined Thompson died sometime between 9 a. m. and noon. Family and friends found his body at around 10 p. m.

Police are not releasing the type of gun with which Thompson was shot nor where on his body he was struck.

The Centre of Forensic Sciences in Toronto continues to analyze evidence.

Acres said she believes whoever fired the fatal shot knows Thompson was struck.

"There's a need for them to come forward to give the family closure, and even to ease their own mind," she said. "This person has to be living with some trauma."

Thompson's stepdaughter, Jessica Brant, 28, said Tuesday the family has spent the last year grieving.

Brant said all they want are answers.

"Closure would mean so much to our family," said Brant, who is living in Gatineau, Que., while she studies law.

She said her mother, who left the St. Catharines home she shared with her husband to live in the Blessington area north of Shannonville, is too distraught to speak publicly.

Brant said her stepfather was a careful hunter.

"He was really outgoing, but he was really strict on certain things," Brant said. "He was so cautious and so careful that he would argue with me about the way I would hold my gun."

Brant also said Thompson was good to his family.

"He was always there to support them through everything," she said. "I'm in law school today because of the way he pushed me to be the best I can be."

After Thompson died, his business dissolved, some clients have refused to pay and staff have had to find new work, Brant said.

She said it was "cowardly" for those with information about the case to remain silent.

"We would just be so grateful," she said. "Accidents do happen. The person coming forward and explaining what happened ... would mean more than anything in the world."

Tips should be directed to the OPP at 1-888-310-1122 or your local police service. Anonymous tips to Crime Stoppers are eligible for a reward of up to $2,000 and can be made by calling 1- 800-222-TIPS.
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

The investigators withold alot of information. Have to in order to be certain they have the correct offender. Over the many years I have always been fascinated with what gets put out and what gets held back. I used to be very suprised when I would hear the TV's explaination vs. what I saw.

No one was supposed to be there except him and other family. He was on a trail flanked by hardwoods. He was wearing blaze orange. The shooter is said to know that he shot a man.

Back home, they said the same thing about an accident. The shooter left footprints leading up to the victim, and the footprints indicated the person ran away. Suspect they have either footprints or the killer took something from him. Maybe his rifle or wallet. There has to be something like that in order to conclude the shooter knew.

Might have a killer, as they also say that the $50,000 is unusual. I'd turn him in for free. An accident is an accident, all the way up to the point that the decision is made to run away.
Just an over informed newbie with a misinformation spreading disorder- and a Vortex