What have you been seeing?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bow Life

What have you been seeing?

Post by Bow Life »

Well I was able to make it home for the opener and was also able to drop a nice big doe opening morning. I have hunted quite a bit lately. I have been hunting two properties, one which is mostly bean and corn fields with a small bedding area just off of the property and the other is a 50 acre property all bush surrounded by bush.

The first property happens to be really close to my house so I have visited there the most. So far I have seen a doe and a fawn, another lone doe and one night I had a group of 5, 3 does and two fawns come through. All of these deer have been within 30 yards of me however I have yet to see a buck. I am not yet discouraged because I know that there are a few large bucks that travel through the various blocks.

The other property which is mostly bush also surrounded by bush has had a few deer on it too. Normally this property is loaded with deer however I am almost certain that the deer I have been seeing are the resident deer to the property. I believe that most of the deer that I normally see in there are deer just traveling through the property. That is the only problem with this property is that during the early season the farmers crops which are about 3 km away have just too much food and the deer tend to remain there until the crops are removed. However I have seen two different doe and fawn combination's, a lone doe and one young buck. He looked to be about a 6 or maybe a small 8. I also saw 8 or 9 turkeys, apparently I had my stand set up in the tree they were looking to roost in.

I have been fortunate and have seen deer every time I have been out. It feels good to be able to head out and be confident in my stand choices. I prepared for this season and am ready to hold out until I find a mature buck. I will be heading back out this weekend to get some hunting in and grab my trail cam. I am hoping that the trail cam will show me some form of a buck on the property because it has been slightly discouraging seeing so many does and only one buck.

One last note, my sister has come on two of the hunts with me and both times got a great video of the deer coming in. One of the buck and one of a nice mature doe. If I can figure it out I will post them.

Best of luck to all getting into the swing of the season and congrats to all of those who have already scored. What has everyone else been seeing? Anyone also noticing lots of does? I did find two large fresh scrapes and I intend on setting up on two main feeder trails this weekend.
Mike

Excalibur Exocet
Drop Zone Scope
Gold Tip Laser 2 Graphite Bolts
100 Wasp BroadHeads

Greatness is not in where we stand, but in what direction we are moving.
saxman

Post by saxman »

I have not seen a deer at all so far.
I've been into the hogs a few times
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
longwinters

Post by longwinters »

I've only been out twice, but have had my trail cam out for a month. I have seen 5 does and one fawn. The cam shows one fair 8 pt that comes through randomly. No other fawns, spikes, forks etc...Kind of strange. We have blk bears a plenty and wolves. That plus a couple of bad winters have been hard on them. I am figuring to, if presented, take a deer this weekend....it'd be a thrill to take the 8 pt with my Exocet.

Long
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I hunted a similiar property to your bush surrounded by bush property last week. I saw a ton of deer before sunrise and after dark. One very nice 8-10 point, could only see his profile on the ridgeline. He looked very good. I got some video of a little 6 point which ran along the road beside me on the drive into the property one morning. I also got a little video clip of the cowhorn I let pass on by. My property is just a hiding place right now . . .it will be very active in a few weeks.

Good luck and I hope you can get that video going. I may try and post mine, but, the footage isn't too great.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Doe's, Doe's and more Doe's I think all the Bucks have wen't on Vacation :lol: :lol:
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
Huntnmachine

Post by Huntnmachine »

I hunt in the thumb of michigan and the deer population is high right now Ive been sitting on a 200 acre clover field and have been seeing 40 to 50 deer a night usually 10 to 15 bucks but only 3 shooters.Ive only been out 4 times and have gotten 2 does and a 9 point but could have taken several full size deer on every occation heading back friday night to try to get a shot at a really nice one 130 class Ive seen him 3 times 400 yards frist time than 200 yds sat nite than 108 on sun nite just need a little luck and you will all see him.
fdegurse

Post by fdegurse »

does and fawns, does and fawns....

the big guys are well trained and not "rut stupid" yet,

next 2 weeks is connection time!!
Frank and a 2005 Exomax
frisky

Post by frisky »

fdegurse wrote:does and fawns, does and fawns....

the big guys are well trained and not "rut stupid" yet,

next 2 weeks is connection time!!
X2
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting