Meat Grinders

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DuckHunt

Meat Grinders

Post by DuckHunt »

For more than a dozen years I have been using a cheap Rival meat grinder that I purchased from Wal-Mart. It has served me well. It was never meant to process a half dozen or more deer per year and it was getting old so I decided to check into an upgrade. I set my price limit at $200 US.

While flipping through the Sportsman's Guide I cam across a Waring Pro stainless steel refurbished grinder. The price was great, so I bought it. Save your money. My cheap plastic Rival grinder will run circles around it. I had troubles making anything other than puree out of a small doe. I decided to give it a second chance later on a larger deer. Same result, it is terrible. It clogs up within a minute and chokes down very easily.

Am I doing something wrong? I've heard others mention refrigerating the meat for a certain amount of time first. Is this necessary? How clean of tendons and things does the meat need to be (think lower front leg muscles)?

Is there a grinder on the market that will turn fresh (very fresh) venison to burger with no fuss and muss? I've seen a lot of them in the $350+ range. I'll go there if I have to, but there has to be a cheaper alternative.

DuckHunt
whateverworks

Post by whateverworks »

L.E.M makes a pretty good grinder, bass pro carries their stuff. i've had one for a few years now and no problems. great quality
Coon Hunter

Post by Coon Hunter »

We have an old enterprise meat grinder and that thing is a beast. Will grind anything and does a good job. Ours is old and unfortunately don't know where to buy a new one or what it would cost. But i'd definitely recommend a enterprise grinder.
Chuck Gravel

Post by Chuck Gravel »

i use a 21 amp 7HP at my work and it works GOOD. i've heard that the cabela ones are very good.
Excalibur Equinox
Lumi-Zone
Viper-X- Strings
NGSS (newguy)
vortex pro extreme 125
Normous

Post by Normous »

My Cabelas 1/2 HP meat grinder has paid for itself without complaint. I would recommend taking a look.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

i need to get me one...
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
dlzinck

Post by dlzinck »

I grind my own venison and sausage. In response to your question on temp of the meat. Yes, it will help if the meat is cold even partialy frozen will work. You don't want to grind meat that is room temp or warmer.
[img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s259/dlzinck/arrow.gif[/img]

Good hunting!!
Pround member of Team PETA
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

i bought a Northern tools meat grinder couple yrs ago about $120 area its worked decent fer me.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Gimpaw

Post by Gimpaw »

First, I've had a few good things from Sportsman'a Guide, but I've also had them misrepresent enough things to make me stop buying from them.

As far as the meat temps go, I took a doe in an early Sept. hunt. I processed her the same day due to warm temps. I have a grinder that I purchased from Meijers 10 years ago. I used this on my doe this year. The meat hadn't been cooled at all, and it made great burger.

The better you trim the meat, the better your grinder will work. I find that mine needs cleaning more often as I get less fussy about silver skin.

Who knows, maybe cooler meat will grind better, but if not, clean up the grinder and ship it back.
"I was young and foolish; now I'm old and foolisher".
Mark Twain
Worriedman

Post by Worriedman »

enormous wrote:My Cabelas 1/2 HP meat grinder has paid for itself without complaint. I would recommend taking a look.
+1, My fahter and I have processed an average of 15 deer a year for the last five with ours, (into sausage and burger), it makes the job a pleasure instead of a chore.
michiganman

grinder

Post by michiganman »

we have two old cast iron grinders ,with 1/2" drills hooked to them.these will grind every thing up,and dosent cost much to make.
if you need a picture of one,let me know
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
whateverworks

Post by whateverworks »

bugs wrote:I have 3 that all require elbow grease :roll: An awful lot of shoulder pain to make a batch of ground meat. Waiting for Moms new cheapie electric in a box still. Might as well use it since it is free. See how it works but I imagine the motor cant handle a lot. Eventually I can get a really good one.

What about sausage stuffers? I heard using an attachment on a meat grinder doesnt work well!
If the grinder is elect. the suasage tubes work great
michiganman

home made

Post by michiganman »

here is one grinding machine.10 plus deer a year.you could use a smaller drill,by its my plaster mixing drill[img][img]http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk26 ... er0002.jpg[/img][/img]
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
Rich

Post by Rich »

I bought a #32 grinder from Northern Tool, it has a big pulley that attaches where the handle normally would. I hooked it up to a 1/2 HP motor I bought at a swap meet. Grinds up the toughest old bucks in minutes.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/ ... 2Bgrinders