Recipe for corned venison

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

B-Logger

Recipe for corned venison

Post by B-Logger »

This is a follow up to the thread on corned venison. I received this recipe from an old friend but have not tried it yet. If anyone tries this, please post on how it turns out. Or perhaps someone might even post a different recipe.

2-3 pounds of venison. You can use slabs of flank, most of a shoulder or any of the fine cuts of venison.

The pieces should be 2" maximum thickness. Don't worry about trimming all the silver or sinewy tissue. Between the brining and cooking much of that will disappear or be easy to flick away with a fork (I'm not so sure about that part as I usually take off all that gunk.)

You can brine more than the 2-3 pounds at a time but you'll then need to cook it in batches.

In a pot (the brine):

2 quarts water
1/2 cut canning salt
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons pickling spice
4 bay leaves
8 whole black peppercorns
fresh garlic cloves (lots-crushed)

Mix ingredients and bring to a boil.

Let mixture cool, then pour over the meat in a plastic Tupperware container, glass, or ceramic bowl. Do not use metal.

Refrigerate it for 4-5 days. Once or twice per day turn the meat to circulate the brine.

Remove the meat and discard the brine. Rinse the meat or not if you like it saltier.

Cook in a pressure cooker about 45 minutes with 1 1/2 cuts of water at 10 pounds of pressure. Don't overload the cooker. Cook about 3 pounds of meat at a time. This also depends on the size of the pressure cooker.

Save the remaining cooking liquid for use in making side dishes of cabbage, potatoes, onion, carrots, etc.

The meat should break apart with a fork. If not completely done, put it back under pressure for another 10 minutes or so. It is a pretty forgiving method of cooking. Serve it hot and freeze the leftovers for later.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
wabi

Post by wabi »

Wonder how it would work to brine it and then pressure can it??????
wabi
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

wabi, I was wondering the same thing.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
wabi

Post by wabi »

Since I just happen to have a fresh deer roast on hand to experiment with......... :roll: :lol:

I'm going to pick up any spices we don't have on hand tomorrow and get a roast from lat week's doe in the brine.

We eat canned corned beef all the time (factory processed), so why not eat something I'll know how it was processed.
Might even have to pick up some dark rye bread, sauerkraut, swiss cheese, and some russian dressing.......... Reuben Sandwich
wabi
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Here is another recipe that uses less salt:

This recipe is for two pounds of meat, for more meat increase ingredients as needed. Combine the following for the brining solution in a pot.

1 quart water
2 tablespoons of Morton’s Tender quick
2 teaspoons of non-iodized table salt
1 tablespoon of sugar
1 tablespoons of finely ground crab boil spice
2 finely ground bay leaves
4 or more (to taste) ground peppercorns
3 large crushed garlic cloves

Bring all the ingredients to boil and simmer for a few minutes, then cool to room temperature. Cut venison (good way to use that “tuff stuff”) into 2 inch thick pieces. Place meat and cooled brining solution into large zip-lock plastic bag and seal. Place bag in container in refrigerator. At least twice a day stir the meat in the solution.

The diplomatic reason for the sealed plastic bag: If you placed the brining solution and meat in a non-metal container in the wife’s refrigerator and go in to stir the salty raw meat solution and slop some on the refrig or floor surfaces, it will create a diplomatic nightmare. However, if the sealed bag is never opened and you mix by rocking the bag back and forth the wife will be a lot happier.

After fours days remove bag with solution and meat. Discard brining solution and rinse meat, then cook. Place meat in roasting container, filled 2/3 full of water, and cook at 300 F until tender. I like to thin slice my meat so I cook until venison will easily pull apart with fork but will still hold it’s shape. If you are into pressure cookers, try 10 psi for 45 minutes with no guarantee that it will work. In either case thin-slice the meat while warm.

My wife and I love Reuben sandwiches and they are the best with corned venison. We use a good Jewish rye bread, brown mustard, sharp Swiss cheese (Lorraine), sauerkraut, and of course corned venison.

Ghost
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

That looks GREAT!! Thank You for the Information 8)
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
Bucko

Post by Bucko »

Sure looks like something new for me to try and I'll be anxious to try it out as a sandwich.Thanks for the postings.
Give it a try,What the heck!
wabi

Post by wabi »

Just put a 2½ lb. roast in the brine. I sliced it about 1" thick before adding the brine, so it should be well marinated by next weekend.

wabi