Hunted hard this week ... and it paid off tonight !

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

catcher

Post by catcher »

That is a monster deer RJ. Big congrats. :D Interesting to hear the rut activity so early. Great pics and story. Well done.
Matrix Blackout 380
TriggerTech
Phoenix
STS
Boo custom strings
chris4570

Re: b

Post by chris4570 »

John wrote:Way to get Him RJ!!! 8) :)
I am waiting for any entries for your team?
Dont let them down Friend, send me some entrants. :wink:
Exactly what John said!! My hunting time is quite limited. The deer aren't co-operating. :roll: And I just found out, bumped into, two other hunters who have been given permission to hunt the same farm I hunt. :evil:

CONGRATS RJ!!!! That is one big buck!!! Great pics. Great play by play. Way to go!!!
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
Petersen

Post by Petersen »

beauty buck !!!........ :D
Well worth the wait!
Congrats.....

I also hunted all week, but came up empty. Deer just are not moving
very much in my area.

See you at work this week?
Wouldn't be hunting...if you got them all the time!
bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

great story and pictures,I thoughtit was a little early for buck bombs,but i guess I better start using mine.
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

Congratulations on a great buck RJ !
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
Alaspan

Post by Alaspan »

I always look up your posts first RJ - and this one certainly did not disappoint! Great 'photo journal' of the hunt - you captured fall at its finest! Excellent work on that buck!! I am now convinced on ordering a few of the buck bombs myself.

Did you get them from a dealer in Ontario? I was going to order them from their site.

Cheers, and looking forward to more photos!!

Congrats on a successful hunt. Great setup.
TNXBow

Post by TNXBow »

Great Job RJ. It all came together and the pictures were perfect. That buck looks like it could pull the plow! You have every right to be proud of that trophy.
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Thanks all ...

Yep , I posted the week long pictures to show it doesn't always happen every time in the stand ... I put lots of hours in and try different tactics and locations ...

In our area we have to cover alot of ground to get a decent buck !

But I'm really confused about the rut ? .... Have never seen this much activity , this early ? .

Sign in the bush shows rubs and boundary scrapes only , but I saw a Monster 8 point cruising around 3:30pm yesterday ... Neck swollen up and all ??

Saw another mature buck with two does cross the road in front of me on the way into work ...

The old , empty buck bomb can ( the one I used on Friday ) is smashed and sitting approx 15 feet away from where it was yesterday ?

The grass area around it is trampled down as well , and all my corn piles at diffrent stand locations have been cleaned up in the last two days .... showing extra feeding activity in my area .

CH was driving to my place and saw a Monster buck standing along side the road with a swollen neck as well ...

I have seen smaller bucks that looked normal ? But the buck I got Friday night was swollen up , acting rut drunk and stunk of rut ??

CH and Sandman can vouch for those facts , they helped me drag him out and field dress him ..

CH has a few bucks on trail camera shots that are showing enlarger necks right now ...

Really wierd for this early in the season ? .

But remember , they are full time deer / we are part time hunters ..

As for the Buck Bomb ... it was definately a contributing factor to my success last Friday ... the buck was zoned on the can and it distracted him enough for me to make a close shot on him ..

Good luck chasing the Whitetails ... looking forward to the stories coming in over the next few weeks !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

PS : On a whim , I picked up 4 cans of Buck Bomb from Walmart @ approx $9 bucks each ... a good investment in my opinion !

I'm a believer now ! :lol: :lol:
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
Alaspan

Post by Alaspan »

From what I have heard, sounds to me like an early rut. A friend of mine harvested a buck yesterday morning and it was tailing a doe at 6:40 a.m. and came in the open. Would seem like some pre-rut activity, with the absence of a swollen neck. Yours was full blown. Interesting that the younger ones aren't but the mature ones are.

Warmer weather expect towards mid-week, mid to high teens, could throw a spin on things as well. I think these slightly below zero nights have made the bucks anxious.

I am scouting a bit on the Quebec side near my cottage next weekend. Anxious to see if there's scrapes and rubs around...

I'm hitting WalMart tonight to see if there's some Bomb left!
schnarrfuss

Post by schnarrfuss »

Congrats R.J. on a brute of a buck. What a hog. Great story and pics as always.
"Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that."

Exomag-Lumizone-Thunderbolts-Slicks-
Blasers-GroundpounderMount-CustomBooString

Bowtech Destroyer Compound Bow Fully Loaded
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Thanks again all ...

Have had many PM's re: the Buck Bomb

All I can say is it was the 1st time I used it and it was a definate asset in my set up that night ! ... I was able to disperse scent in the direction I wanted with the 90 second plume burst after locking the tab on the can ...

After the buck passed outside of my shooting lane in the slash , I figured that was it ...

The scent and can was the final contributing factor to the bucks distraction and the reason I was able to move into a shooting position while his head was down ...

Nothing beats scouting , and seeing fresh buck sign was the key in my decision to hunt that location ..

Don't be fooled into thinking , every time you pop a can , a buck will magically appear ... but it is definately another advantage in a hunters existing bag of tricks !
huntone

Post by huntone »

:D :shock: Congratulations What a nice buck you got there.
I may have to try some of that Buck Bomb. No, I will try some of that
Buck Bomb. 8) :)
Dale

Ibex
Lumizone
Dan Miller mount
Ben S.

Post by Ben S. »

What a buck. What a story. What great pictures. Thanks R.J. This is one great post. I keep looking over and over again at your pictures.