Facing my fear...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

VixChix

Facing my fear...

Post by VixChix »

Some of you know that I'm not that comfortable with heights. I'm quite content with both feet on the ground tucked away in a nice warm ground blind, where all my gear is within easy reach, and I don't have to worry about much of anything except waiting for deer.

This year we put up a couple of 15' ladderstands. Nothing fancy, just the most basic of stands. When Tim & Kevin put up the first one I got about 1/2 way up before I came back down. When they got the 2nd one up, I managed to make it to the seat, but didn't want to move or even think about what it would take to turn around and start back down. Can't explain it and I know it's not reasonable... I guess I've gotten old and not as brave as I used to be.

Our family has had that nasty bug for the past few weeks so we haven't been able to get out to hunt, but this weekend we just couldn't wait any longer and decided to go. Tim took the morning shift and I was out for a few hours in the afternoon.

Although I'd put on the harness at the van, I was planning on taking a ground blind in the event that I'd get 1/2 way up the ladder and then chicken out. At the last minute I decided to leave the blind behind and commit to the stand.

Crossing the fields in the afternoon sun, wearing my camo and carrying my bow everything just felt right. I realized just how very much I've missed being out.

Kevin was out at the same time to hunt the other stand. He loaned me a radio and asked me to check in once I was up and settled to make sure I wasn't too freaked out or screwed up. As much as I enjoy hunting alone, I have to admit it was nice to have someone looking out for me. It gave me extra peace of mind. I've also really appreciated that neither Tim nor Kevin have made light of my fear, although there have been plenty of opportunities for them to do so.

I got to the stand, made it to the top, hung my pack, attached the strap to the tree and the harness (thanks Dereck & DirtyGun!) to the strap, turned around, sat down and just breathed for a moment. My hands were soaked in sweat and my heart rate was a bit higher than normal. Eventually I managed to reach over and haul up the bow. That went ok. Then I tried to relax enough to unsnap my pocket and pull the radio out to let Kevin know I was up and sitting. That went ok too.

In fact.... everything went ok.

Eventually I could let myself look down. Even straight down. It took some time, but I managed to reach into my pack and dig around for my camera and take some photos.

A few hours went by. The vertigo sensation gradually ebbed. I got used to watching the other trees swaying in the wind, out of synch with the movements of my tree. I enjoyed watching the leaves fall, the squirrels fight, the birds scrabble for seeds... so much beauty all around. And I thanked God for the opportunity to see it all from 15' up.

I had to leave before dark as my brother was arriving from Alberta and we'd planned to meet him for supper. As I lowered my bow and prepared to climb down, I realized I was much more comfortable than I was the first time. There is hope. I'm actually looking forward to going up again sometime soon.
Last edited by VixChix on Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

great glad you got it over. wow yer woods are so open, you may see deer easy too.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
dlzinck

Post by dlzinck »

Good job!!! It will get easier and easier. I remember the frist time I hauled my butt up a tree with a climber... now it's just part of the day. You will enjoy this way more than your ground blind. You get to see so much more.
[img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s259/dlzinck/arrow.gif[/img]

Good hunting!!
Pround member of Team PETA
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:) Eventually it becomes old hat going up in the stands . Congrats on conquering your fear . :)
DirtyGun

Post by DirtyGun »

Good job. We'll have you up in a 20' stand in no time. :wink:

I have never had the heights problem. When my mother wanted to find me, she'd just look up on the roof, which I'd climb up on via the old TV arial tower that was attached to the side of the house. :lol:

I was always the 'little idiot' (according to the recess supervisors) who would climb up in one of the schoolyard trees and refuse to come down...I think I could describe the principal's office very accurately, even now. :lol:

That all being said, you'll never catch me in a tree stand without a harness. I have heard far too many horror stories and know two guys personally who have had nasty falls. That's not going to be me. I have a little girl to come home to.

Congrats on beating your fear. Just tell Jesus to climb up with you and he won't let you fall.
snapperdan

Post by snapperdan »

Im with you vix.I have never hunted from a tree stand.Not evan bear.And have allwayes done well.How ever !!! I just rec my new stand and my ladder is on the way :roll: Im going to give it a try when i go home to ohio in nov.when i lived there i was allwayes in the woods.Squirl hunting and trapping that by the time deer season came in i knew just where to be on opening morn it was rare for me to hunt later than 10.30 without having one tagged.Maybe this treestand will help me out alittle Ihope :D
exocet 200
equinox
ground pounder mounts
bar 338 win mag
browning auto 5
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Way to go Vix ... over coming your fear .

Cool pic's as well !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Good to know I'm not alone, Dan! Actually, I've hunted with a Summit Viper climber, and the heights didn't seem so bad, probably because of the rail and the nice big foot platform. I don't enjoy hauling the climber around though so it's only been used a couple of times.

I don't know when I got to be this way - I was always climbing trees with the boys when I was growing up, had no qualms about walking around on roofs... I think it's age (or maybe weight?) :roll:

DirtyGun, I was doing a bit of praying up there for sure! Mostly for help to just to be sensible and trust, but also to give thanks for the whole experience. Being out in the woods seems the best time to converse with the Creator. The wonderful hymn "How Great Thou Art" always comes to mind.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
bucont

Post by bucont »

I am with ya Vix.

As I get older I am find out things about myself that I never thought about before. I am finding heights and confined spaces have gain more of my respect. Not sure the connection here unless it is good old common sense. lol the key word being old.

I had an freind that has passed on, he hunted out of a tree stand as we all did and one morning he took a header out of the stand. Busted him up pretty bad but he live to tell the story. This was all before the harnesses etc and even a safety belt would be rarely seen. I gained allot of respect for him and any tree at that point.

See you 20' soon.

Good luck.
Axiom SMF
Munch mount
MeadowBrooke Game Calls
LCCA
longwinters

Post by longwinters »

As my wife would say...."You Go Girl" :lol: Good for you! As much as I like hunting from the ground there really is nothing like hunting from "upstairs".

I am really happy for you that you can experience the birds view.

Long
Worriedman

Post by Worriedman »

I got one of the 22' ladder stands a couple of years ago, first time up in that bad boy got my attention. It has the trapdoor feature, you have to pull your feet up nearly to the rail to get it to close. Hmmm, being somewhat pudgey, that was an intersting occurance. I have it down now, but the first time I thought I might have to sell the thing!
DirtyGun

Post by DirtyGun »

VixChix wrote:The wonderful hymn "How Great Thou Art" always comes to mind.
Let me know when you want to come to visit my church one day and I'll make sure I'm leading worship...I'm sure I can work that one in. :wink:

Best of luck to you.

Blessings.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

DirtyGun wrote:
VixChix wrote:The wonderful hymn "How Great Thou Art" always comes to mind.
Let me know when you want to come to visit my church one day and I'll make sure I'm leading worship...I'm sure I can work that one in. :wink:

Best of luck to you.

Blessings.
It's one of my favs - along with "Be Thou My Vision".
Where do you attend?
We're at Bethany on Lancaster.
Esox

Post by Esox »

WAY TO GO!!!..... Being up a tree isn't our everyday point of view for most humans, so our visual references are really out of wack and it feels very odd and scary, but you approached getting over this the right way... You took your time, you calmed yourself at each step and you didn't force yourself into a situation that you weren't ready for.. You stayed in "yourself" ... That's the "comfort zone" that we seek when we're trying something new... Once you calmed down and felt secure you started seeing thing from a whole different view point....15" up in the air....

I bet the next time you're there you'll know what to expect and it won't be anywhere near as bad as the very first time you tried to climb into a stand. And even though it'll still may seem a bit uneasy you know that you're strapped in and you safe and nothing bad can happen...

Ironically I know exactly what you're going through, because just last week I went through a week long session to get me over by 50 year old fear of swimming in deep water.....and if I can get over something that has had be in it's grip for over 50 years then anybody can overcome a problem they may have.. As long as you stay within yourself and take your time, stay comfortable and confident and all that will make if fun for you...

Good luck with the rest of the season..
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Keep the fear . . .it will keep you safe.

There is a new fear in the forest now . . .Fear of Vix. I feel sorry for those poor little deer. :P

Go get 'em! :)
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen