heads flying off excalibur/easton carbon arrows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

reiche

heads flying off excalibur/easton carbon arrows

Post by reiche »

I'm new to bowhunting. I picked up an excalibur phoenix last weekend and have done some target shooting with it. I'm shooting excal/easton bolts into a "black hole" target. I've had the insert and field point fly out of two of four bolts, one on the first shot after I took it out of the package. This seems to be an excessively high failure rate. The arrow goes through the target about 2-3 inches. The field point and insert keep going.

How do the rest of you deal with this? Are you shooting arrows other than the excalibur labelled ones? Am I supposed to pull the inserts and epoxy them before using the bolts?
longwinters

Post by longwinters »

I just got some this fall, with my Exocet package. Shot them in multiple targets from bag to the "block". With the inclosed target points and broadheads. No Problems. A lot of the guys like Gorilla glue.

Long
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

That happened with me too. I took them all out and used Gorilla glue to reset them. Started building my own arrows. I haven't had the problem since.

Until you start making your own, or getting custom arrows(from John or Crazyfarmer here on the forum) . . then you will need to pull the inserts and re-glue everytime you buy a set to make sure you don't lose inserts/tips.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Chuck Gravel

Post by Chuck Gravel »

i cant remember who, but someone else had a problem similar to yours.
Excalibur Equinox
Lumi-Zone
Viper-X- Strings
NGSS (newguy)
vortex pro extreme 125
Worriedman

Post by Worriedman »

I have had two tips do the same thing, and one nock pull out with very little effort! Just got mine two weeks ago. (Firebolts)
awshucks

Re: heads flying off excalibur/easton carbon arrows

Post by awshucks »

reiche wrote:I'm new to bowhunting. I picked up an excalibur phoenix last weekend and have done some target shooting with it. I'm shooting excal/easton bolts into a "black hole" target. I've had the insert and field point fly out of two of four bolts, one on the first shot after I took it out of the package. This seems to be an excessively high failure rate. The arrow goes through the target about 2-3 inches. The field point and insert keep going.

How do the rest of you deal with this? Are you shooting arrows other than the excalibur labelled ones? Am I supposed to pull the inserts and epoxy them before using the bolts?
LOl, since you didn't fill out enough of your profile for us to tell what country you are in, advice is hard to give.

If in USA, you can get replacement inserts from Danny Miller, I've had the same problem and am trying Gorilla glue [no water] next. Tried: Goats Tuff, 2 part epoxy, both 5 min and the 24 hr, hot melt, ect.

A 270 cal bronze bristle brush will clean the shafts well if spun briefly.
"Eze 18:21"
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

Jeez! I wish the inserts would fall out of my Firebolts! I want to pull them and add around 30-40 grains of brass to them to increase FOC.
2008 Phoenix w/ Varizone Scope
FFF String (Boo string wannabee)
Groundpounder Mount
Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout RF
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s
hunt-n-fool

Post by hunt-n-fool »

I had the same issue with one bolt and the front insert.
reiche

Re: heads flying off excalibur/easton carbon arrows

Post by reiche »

awshucks wrote: LOl, since you didn't fill out enough of your profile for us to tell what country you are in, advice is hard to give.

If in USA, you can get replacement inserts from Danny Miller, I've had the same problem and am trying Gorilla glue [no water] next. Tried: Goats Tuff, 2 part epoxy, both 5 min and the 24 hr, hot melt, ect.

A 270 cal bronze bristle brush will clean the shafts well if spun briefly.
I'm in Ontario. I'll try the gorilla Glue.

I'm really impressed with accurracy of the bow (phoenix), but I'm more than a little surprised excal doesn't have a bolt to match the quality of the bow.
Bill T

Post by Bill T »

We try our best, but the guys we buy the bolt shafts from seem to have been conspiring against us. We had a heck of a lot of trouble with the inserts coming out years back when we used Goldtip arrow shafts, but when we switched to Easton shafts the glue held very well and for the first year and a half all went very well. Sadly the last batch of arrow shafts we received are losing inserts about as fast as the leaves are falling in Ontario now. I wish that our suppliers were half as good at what they do as what we are, because this stuff always makes us look bad and causes our customers a world of trouble. A little glue and common sense on their part would have solved the problem before it even happened! The good news (if you can call it that)is that Excalibur isn't the only crossbow manufacturer involved in this issue. I have heard reports that Easton has provided lousy arrows to more than just us and the other guys are having the same problems.
We are doing all we can to deal with this on an occurance basis, and I apologize for the inconvenience it has caused. We can't always inspect everything we receive from our customers and we have to assume that they are doing their job better than Easton obviously did.
Anyone who has a problem is encouraged to call us for inserts to replace any that are lost, and PLEASE make a point of ragging on Easton for not doing their job! I'm not at all happy with this situation!
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Bill T wrote:......................PLEASE make a point of ragging on Easton for not doing their job! I'm not at all happy with this situation!

I don't blame you one bit. Being caught in the middle is so unfair. It's a darned good idea to have the source of the problem having to share a bit of the explaining and apologizing.

Who would be the best person to contact at Easton, and what's the best way to make contact?
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
reiche

Post by reiche »

Like I said, I'm very happy with the bow... The target ("black hole") is doing it's job beautifuly. I don't use a plywood (or other) backstop behind it. The problem is all with the bolts problem. I used Barnett/Easton bolts all last fall (with a borrowed "scorpion" xbow) without any problems.

I would appreciate Easton contact info as well.
Ottawa, Ontario
2009 Phoenix/Varizone Scope
Bill T

Post by Bill T »

Thanks for understanding our situation.
I bet that there is a toll free number from Easton, a trip to their website is probably in order for this one. The only number I have is 801 539 1400, if you call them just ask for customer service. Sorry I can't be mre specific, I'd give you my sales contacts personal line but if they can get their act together I'll need to maintain a decent relationship with him!
Don't blame the target, yes, there are targets out there that put a lot of pressure on inserts, but this is about not enough glue.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

It may not be how much glue was used but the kind. Have been having problems with inserts coming off with some of the arrows on which I used Gold Tip crazy glue. Seems it breaks down and/or cracks because it's brittle.
The rubber enforced Gorilla glue (including their crazy glue) holds much better for me as does hot melt glue.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
kanehill

Post by kanehill »

I take all my Easton bolts when bought and take the inserts off and re-glue. I use the Excalibur bolt puller and a rubber mallet to remove them. If you want to replace the knock, insert a smaller shaft arrow and knock it out. Works for me!
Excalibur Ibex
Vari-Zone Scope
Easton Carbon Power Bolts
Muzzy 125/3 Blade Broadheads