thumbhole vixen

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

widowman

thumbhole vixen

Post by widowman »

Looking for a crossbow for my 9 year old son.

He has shot both my exocet and my brothers vortex. The vortex stock seems to fit him a little better, as it is a little shorter. Also, the pistol grip seems to give him a little better control.

Im wondering how to get my hands on a thumbhole stocked vixen.

can they be special ordered?
Normous

Post by Normous »

Your son is going to grow and grow before you know it. Take a look at the new Ibex. That looks like something he will be able to handle in a short while.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

In a word, no. No such animal. May be a 2010 ATA show surprise, but as it is, a Vixen II is as close as you can get.

While there's a few forum members that have done conversions to get thumbhole stocks on regular pistol grip stock rails, it's not a project for most.

Bstout is an evil man, lol. Sorry, Bob. :oops:
"Eze 18:21"
widowman

Post by widowman »

alright....so I gather it is not as easy as just "swapping" stocks.

I did just notice that on the excalibur site it has the vixen stock listed as "compact conventional".

can someone tell me how much more "compact" the stock is compared to the standard stock.
blackjack

Re: thumbhole vixen

Post by blackjack »

widowman wrote:Looking for a crossbow for my 9 year old son.

He has shot both my exocet and my brothers vortex. The vortex stock seems to fit him a little better, as it is a little shorter. Also, the pistol grip seems to give him a little better control.

Im wondering how to get my hands on a thumbhole stocked vixen.

can they be special ordered?
honestly for what its worth the ibex is better value with pads & all & only 25 lb more power than the vixen he'll soon grow into it. best regards frank
JUST FIGHTING TO SURVIVE..
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

can someone tell me how much more "compact" the stock is compared to the standard stock
It is about two inches shorter . The thumbholed Ibex is 1 inch shorter ,so in turn the Ibex would be a great choice for your son .
Or you purchase the Vixen ,use it then turn around and sell it . That is the nice thing with Excaliburs they do hold a fairly good resale value . :)
widowman

Post by widowman »

Thanks for all of the info and advice.

While i've always liked most of the excalibur line (Ibex included) the reasons for seeking the vixen are multi fold.

First, he only weights 55lbs, so a light package is important. My plan was to go without dissapator bars and use the pin and peep. I do realize that he is going to grow, but I don't want him to struggle in the beginning.

Next, I would like him to be able to operate the bow own his own as soon as possible. A lighter weight bow with a short power stroke is going to make that happen faster.

In addition, with the small power stroke a shorter arrow can be used. I believe that I could get 2 dozen shafts cut from a dozen full length aluminum shafts. Although I may be wrong about this as I have never tried...But I thought somewhere I read that the vixen could used an arrow as short as 16". I think I could cut them to 17"

Also, the bow with its lighter weight and power stroke, is the best for serving wear and overall wear, including damage from a dryfire.

I have always considered the vixen to be more than capable of taking any animal he may be hunting here in the Eastern US, so the extra power from other bows in the line is not really needed.
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »