Second chance, second pass...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bayou Stalker

Second chance, second pass...

Post by Bayou Stalker »

Last year I had my chance with my MAX but passed because the shot had some brush in the way. Yesterday I came up on a doe and yearling, but could only creep up to about 45 yards before she spotted me. I had a shot at 45 yards, and I have complete confidence in my accuracy at that distance, but could not convince myself that the shot was ethical. The result: my MAX is still a virgin. I'll setup a little closer next time and hope for another chance.
Kendall
08 ExoMax
Boo String
GroundPounder quiver mount
Varizone
CrazyFarmer CowWacker Bolts (brass, 2" Predators)
Rage 3 Blades
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Don't give up Kendall, your time to shine will come go get um

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

Good choice Stalker. If the shot doesn't seem or feel right then hold off like you did. You're time's coming.
Being successful at the spot and stalk is something that few of us can manage with any kind of bow.
My hat's off to you.
In my younger days, I was "fairly" decent at it but this worn out body of mine tells me to sit and wait for one now!
Phoenix
Varizone
Slick Trick 125 mags
Polaris Ranger 4x4 to haul the meat
longwinters

Post by longwinters »

Its always better to wait for the sure thing. Enough stuff can happen even at close encounters to mess things up. Sometimes we have to pass on the good to have the best.

Good choice.

Long
Esox

Post by Esox »

Good Job.... Better to be sure than sorry....There's nothing worse than a bad hit and having a tough time finding it... 45 yds is way out there under 90% of the situations... It's not paper target anymore but a deer.. You did the RIGHT thing... Good Job!!
8up

Post by 8up »

Good decision it sucks losing a deer I forgot just how bad until this year. I am counting on you and Wes to carry me.
2008 Excalibur Vortex, Lumizone, STS
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
kennisondan

Post by kennisondan »

I applaud the decision. when I do not feel good about a shot, I have found it is best not to take the shot...it is hard to be so practiced that despite circumstances or distractions or lapses of assuredness our muscle memory takes over for such a long shot on paper or on hide...
If you felt you could not miss, though I would not reccomend it.. I would bet you would have scored on the shot, assuming no interference and nothing to alert the deer, given perfect concentration and letoff...if you had any misgivings about it, at any distance, I would stand down.
Few folks can ethically make a clean shot at that distance, anyway... it sets a good example for others and is a good comment on you as an ethical hunter...
perhaps you need another stander over that way so that is is covered in both places... if you require another La. hunter I know where you can find one..
lol
it is a proud day to pass on a less than ethical shot...an ethical kill is bound for your season.. and well worth the wait.
dk
life guard at the gene pool
Bayou Stalker

Post by Bayou Stalker »

kennisondan, that deer was in Sherburne and you are welcome to come along anytime you want.

I'm loaded up and heading out there again this afternoon. I'm mad at them now, last time that happened I shot 3 in a two week span. Today is going to be a long day at work...
Kendall
08 ExoMax
Boo String
GroundPounder quiver mount
Varizone
CrazyFarmer CowWacker Bolts (brass, 2" Predators)
Rage 3 Blades
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Bayou Stalker wrote:kennisondan, that deer was in Sherburne and you are welcome to come along anytime you want.

I'm loaded up and heading out there again this afternoon. I'm mad at them now, last time that happened I shot 3 in a two week span. Today is going to be a long day at work...
Good luck! 8)
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Just join the ranks of the Retired :P :lol: Good decision and you will get one :wink:
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]