using deer calls

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bojangles

Post by bojangles »

Well around here I believe its a little to early...I seen 14 does yesterday and zero bucks so....I use a grunt tube and one of those can calls..I never thought those can's would work but they sure do :) ...Ive had a couple different bucks come right to me when using it..watched them come to me as I called....Im gonna start using calls the last few days of October through the first week of November...That was the time last year they were chasing the does hard.
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

I've gotten away from blind calling. Generally now I only call when a see or hear a deer already. I think this works better (for me) because I can make an educated guess as to what the deer wants and then imitate that. Two years ago I watched a hunter just across the property line use a bleat can 47 times in the hour and 25 minutes he was hunting. For those mathematically challeged, thats one bleat every 108 seconds, and I'm convince this educates deer. I still rattle blind but mostly just when using decoys. The main thing with calling is simply trial and error, find out what works for you in your area and your well ahead of the game.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
bucont

Post by bucont »

Kenton wrote:I've gotten away from blind calling. Generally now I only call when a see or hear a deer already. I think this works better (for me) because I can make an educated guess as to what the deer wants and then imitate that. Two years ago I watched a hunter just across the property line use a bleat can 47 times in the hour and 25 minutes he was hunting. For those mathematically challeged, thats one bleat every 108 seconds, and I'm convince this educates deer. I still rattle blind but mostly just when using decoys. The main thing with calling is simply trial and error, find out what works for you in your area and your well ahead of the game.
I agree, I call when I know he is there or if it is a real sloooow day. Then it is 1 short grunt about 3 hours apart. I hunted 10 hours this weekend and used the call only a few times. Once to stop a buck, once to try and turn a buck and one cold call late in the morning.
Axiom SMF
Munch mount
MeadowBrooke Game Calls
LCCA
Real McCoy

Post by Real McCoy »

I grunt a lot - climbing up to stand and again on the way down.
Southern Born and Bred
Exomax
Varizone
Groundpounder

A man who is good enough to shed his blood
for his country is good enough to be given a
square deal afterwards - Teddy Roosevelt
bucont

Post by bucont »

Real McCoy wrote:I grunt a lot - climbing up to stand and again on the way down.

:D :D :D
Axiom SMF
Munch mount
MeadowBrooke Game Calls
LCCA