BDD - backstraps for this weekend

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

BDD - backstraps for this weekend

Post by crazyfarmer »

I needed a boost since the lost buck and my grandma. Today was a beautiful day over the cover field. Wind was perfect and slowed to silence 30mins before sunset! Temps were dropping into the 50's and deer were coming into the field. I saw deer from 5pm till dark. Had 3 lil bucks come out 100 yards behind me and feed for 30mins. I had doe and fawns running in front of me but nothing big. Finally 7 doe fed right within 20 yards of me and I looked up and here comes a lil 4pt to check them out. He got close, but not to close to them. You could tell he was scent checking them. Then after that I saw antlers coming from the woods. Could it be?? Nope, just a lil 2.5 year old I call "Up and Comer". Well this guy decided to come run the 4pt off and also scent check the doe. I couldnt make myself shoot this buck. He's a 9pt already and has a good road ahead of him next year or the year after. He was 20 yards just teasing me. So I checked over my shoulder and around the field once more for something bigger but nothing new had come out. Light was fading. So I raised my bow and squeezed the trigger. The arrow went flying and hit the doe 5 yards from him perfectly. He bolted not knowing what had happened. Most people would have shot this lil guy, but I got more enjoyment from the juicy looking doe beside him :lol: The rage had blood pouring down the side of the deer(pass through). She ra 30 yards away and then turned and come right back to the same spot of the shot and folded over. No tracking and no dragging needed:) Loaded her up and took home to process. So backstraps and on order for this weekend :lol: 8) I figured I'd take my doe now since bucks are showing signs of pre rut coming on. Now its back to buck mode untill late season 8) Im back in the saddle ready to go now

I snapped a pic of the blackberry. Isnt the best. I over estimated the shot. She was 20 yards and I shot for 25 hitting 3 inches high but the damaged from the rage 3 blade was unreal. If you take out their lungs, they cant get far. I cleaned the cowwacker off and its back in the quiver.

here is the doe

here is a trail camera photo of "Up and Comer"

if he come by next year at 20 yards it will be a different story
Esox

Post by Esox »

Yum, Yum, that one looks nice and tender....Great Going.... Nothing like some freezer meat in the warm season...
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Get the grease hot :wink: .
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Feels good to be in the saddle again, eh? Congrats on the perfect shot. 8)
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

Good Job CF. Congrats!!!!!
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Good going CF! Nice doe on the ground there! Now go get the big 'un! :D
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Ben S.

Post by Ben S. »

Good eating.
But I must say Crazyfarmer....................... UP AND COMER WOULD BE DEAD AND GONER IF HE CAME BY ME WITHIN RANGE.
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

Congrats on the doe Crazy, sounds like a good hunt. Well done on passing an immature buck with serious potential. It will be fun to see what he puts up next year.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
Rich

Post by Rich »

Way to rebound right back. CONGRATS. You showed great restraint on the young buck, hope he makes it past the doggers.

Rich
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

congrats on the Doe. i would have shot the Doe also if present over the young Buck. multiple choice is always good
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

Way to go. When we shoot a smaller deer we can take satisfaction in how much harder a shot we had to make. :)

Take care...
saxman

Post by saxman »

Way to go Crazy F :D
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Thats some GOOD Eating! Congratulations and enjoy the Backstraps. I know it will not be to long and the Big Buck picture will be posted :wink:
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!
wabi
frisky

Post by frisky »

Congrats on the Doe. I am interested in the buck. What is that spot on his back near the spine? Do you have to use "bull wackers" in him? LOL :D
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting